Unichip... your thoughts and advice.

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Unichip... your thoughts and advice.

Post by Mr_B »

Hi guys,

I've decided I'm going to fit a Unichip-Q to my bakkie, but I'd like to hear from some of the members, who have bought and installed these chips:

Is it safe to buy a 2nd hand chip, or better to stay with a brand new unit? I'm concerned that a 2nd hand chip may have been fiddled with(settings altered), and could potentially damage the engine. Or it could be a total dud... with no guarantees.

Is it worthwhile to have the chip settings tweaked on a dyno, or is the generic factory map good enough?

Have any of you had a immobliser/valet map programmed for your chip? I've heard it's possible to have up to 5 maps programmed, one of these being an anti-theft map, which can be selected via the bluetooth module interface on a cellphone... to immobilise the vehicle totally or set a low rev/top speed limit. (PM me if you don't want to talk about it on open forum)

Is the plug&play loom really nessecary, or will it be safe to have a qualified installer splice the wiring into the loom? I really don't want tons of wires on the original loom being hacked into. If it's 5 or less I'd make peace with it.

I've done my homework on the choice of chip, so please let's not start a discussion on whether chipping is good or bad and the choice of chip... I know there are many and I've settled on the Uni-Q chip.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

:thumbup:
Hangover
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Re: Unichip... your thoughts and advice.

Post by Hangover »

Hi Bretton

I would say its safe to get it cut into the wiring loom. I think there are 7 wires and they fit it quite neatly... You will lose your warranty from toyota though... You must get it dyno'd... it makes a hell of a difference... Cant help you with the anti theft story though. The unichip IMHO is the best bang for your buck but works so much better with a free flow system 2.5" or bigger to keep the EGT down...
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

Bretton, I got a Uni-Q chip out of a scrapped kz via Barrie at ultimate 4x4 for next to nothing compared to the new price. AFAIK when they dyno the vehicle all the old settings on the chip get whiped and a new map loaded so there is no risk of having old data causing havoc. Kosie swanepoel from KSD fitted my chip (i did not have the wiring harness or plugs for the chip) and dynoed it for less than the price of a new chip. The chip is still going a year on. For which vehicle is the chip for?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Stef, Johan thanks for the feedback so far.

It's a 3L D4D Johan... :shh:
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

We dont believe you mr B, wheres the pics
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Pics of what Ismail?
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoorsdorp
Vehicle: Silver Hilux DC 2.8 GD-6 2016

Post by coetzer94 »

Hi Mr B

I have fitted a unichip q4 from the guys at Steve's Auto clinic about 2 months ago, and thus far it has been none but brilliant! I have posted a topic about it complete with the dyno charts, i believe you'd find it with a quick search. "Nuwe Unichip vir Hilux"

The Q4 chip comes complete with d4d driver, pedalbooster and the q chip. This setup is programmable with 5 different settings including the anti theft. This system is supposedly only available for the face lift versions of the current hilux.

The plug and play is also very handy for when the vehicle goes in for a service.. toyota SA frowns upon the use of afternarket chips, so when going in for a service, i have removed the chip and reconnected the standard wiring. Its a real easy job, and this way toyota has no idea you had it installed.

I do however know nothing about activating the anti theft by using bluetooth, and would think that the sales person would of told me about it.

Personally i would say to get a new chip for peace of mind when something goes wrong you atleast have some kind of warranty. That way you can also get it dyno tuned by the fitment centre, i believe the long term effects of having it dyno tuned is better for the engine.

This is just my 2cw, but currently I'm enjoying the chip too much to have anything else to say.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Only chip I would instal is the Unichip. Been running one for almost 10 years and 345 000 km without a single hickup.

Just haf FIL's new Isooz at Dastek on Friday -173hp on the wheels!!!

They even offer a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “The Workshop”