Air Con Replacement Help 1985 4 runner

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brisbane Australia
Vehicle: 1985 4 runner sr5 3y engine

Air Con Replacement Help 1985 4 runner

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Hi guys ,
Winter here in Australia freezing the brass monkeys up a little not that cold but when it goes under 5 dec I feel like an eskimo . Am seriously thinking about getting my air con working again fo summer . This will require near full replacement of components as hasn,t operated in decades now . I read somewhere here about an electric compressor that might become available for 4y engines if enough orders interest shown .

I,m just doing some homework as this wont be cheap too fix , but expect reliable service as no plans to ever sell my vehicle .

It gets very hot here in summer up too 40 dec quarter glass windows have been ok but I,m getting on now and don't mind a little luxury for 4runner as had many years .

I,ve also read about a Corolla heat /vent fan being more powerful . Seems worthwhile too install at same time . Also came across post on electric fan fits in front of air condenser wired too air con makes difference as well this being from a Merc 123 .

Asking am I heading in right direction . I don't expect any change from $1200 / $1500 aud to get system working .
Imput advice welcome .

Thanks Russell
Last edited by 4 runner oldie on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
No one has ever made it out alive yet .
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Re: Air Con Replacement Help 1985 4 runner

Post by zepplin »

Russell, wait until the weekend is over and the knowledgeable boys are back at work. You may have to wait until Wednesday for them to fire on all cylinders to get a decent answer ! :mocking:
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

hahaha :D: :D: :D: :cooldude: Thanks Zepplin , Yes understand well . lol
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Russel, if I understand correctly, you have all the components in place, just not working.

Sight unseen and thus going on assumptions, the way I see it you will have two stumbling blocks - the compressor and the condenser.

The condenser fins might be too badly corroded to be still be effective or the core may even have corrosion holes or weak points that might fail down the line. Examine it carefully and replace if it looks suspect.

The compressor is serviceable, but this is really only an option if you can still get the older refrigeration gasses over there. If not, the old unit would have to be completely overhauled with new seals for the new gas, but it can become so pricey that it makes more sense to replace it altogether with a new one or a used one in good condition.

The complete system would probably need to be checked over - expansion valve, evaporator, accumulator and tubing.

The Merc W123 series fan worked perfectly, but these may be a problem to source now. However, there are so many different after market fans available that you shouldn't have a problem finding a suitable one. The Corrola interior fan is certainly worth having a look at and is an easy fit.

Good luck with the project. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Thanks Andy ,
Great advice as always :thumbup: . Will also follow Zepplins sound advice :clap: and not go to air con place before Wednesday or book in before same day for repairs .
Have replaced lots of components over years with little /just short term success :surrender: . Be over ten years my last try at regas . Before then components etc . But likely lots all new stuff needed over again now .
I,m fine with that that want it working reliably , like the ideas of increased efficency from corolla interor fan and electric condenser fan .

Hopefuly will be one happy sfa owner comes summer . :D: Russell
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Guys will try to see two local repairers tomorrow . Will use the old radar to find the guy that can offer what I want reliability and willing too replace whole lot if necessary to get it . I,m off work with health issue abdominal pains / etc at least two more months . Lucky have plenty of sick pay so can survive ok . After several near death experiences in last year ambulanced too hospital 4 times . Never before in my life has happened decided to spend my little savings on car / stuff too make life more pleasurable .oops forgot public holiday today .
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Wow, Russell! Sorry to hear of your health issues and hope that it can be resolved soon with a complete recovery. All the very best wishes! :thumbup:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Thanks MD ,
They will never take my freedom . Up for trip North December Wet season / health permitting .
018.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Good on you! Hope it all goes according to plan! :thumbup:
Love the look of that truck! :winkx:

4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Hi Andy , Went to two air con repair workshop . Have booked in for next Wednesday under sound advice :lmao: .Seems my 4 runner has two air con condensers and very little gap in front of units hard too see in pictures sorry . Tech confident was pleased with this and thinks I wont need extra fan unit but said he could fit one between radiator and dual condensers if needed . Seems confident that hoses most components are still in servicable condition . quote $1200 aud . should cover compressor and parts that end up unserviceable on gassing up . . He is also going to do some research on gps tracking . He has mobile phone in his vehicle and wants to find if there is a better still reasonable cost solution .

. ps . Could I have model of corolla /interior fan part number etc . So I can source part . On my vehicle vent controls for cool air sticking towards warm . He is going to solve fix that up too and fit corolla fan . Many Thanks Russell attachment=1]WP_20150813_11_10_47_Pro.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
WP_20150813_11_10_58_Pro.jpg
WP_20150813_11_10_47_Pro.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

If you fit a condenser fan, put it in front, not between .... there is enough space in front for a slimline fan even though it doesn't look like there is. :winkx:

4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Ok will ask him more next Wednesday . Do you know Corolla model for fan unit . Thanks . Half way through this post has picture of corolla will chase up .

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9483
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

This might help ....
"Someone used the fan of an older model 160 Corolla and it fit perfectly and has a bigger motor...."

4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Cleaned up ready too go in tomorrow .
WP_20150818_13_33_47_Pro.jpg
WP_20150818_13_48_36_Pro.jpg
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Friday has arrived ,
Got car back so far very pleased :clap: . Tech couldn't source new compressor with same pipe fittings so installed land cruiser one and swapped head plate over too suit .
Tech did meticulous work took him two / half hours too fix up problem with heater shut off and vent cable . :cooldude:
Tech mentioned bit of a reminder is Toyotas have different specs for different country's . Mine is aus spec so perhaps having dual condensors just local spec or perhaps just 4runner with full cabin .

He is stumped on fitting and electric fan , Another local spec issue was sourcing blower fan from 1998 corolla . Had to be sent out to be machined too fit ,
Tech explained Toyota has different specs / parts sources for different countries and parts can be differences in size fit . Our corolla etc possible has different manufacture for fan .

However all worked well so far . Even though winter today abouts 20 decs . Earlier he had car running at 4 dec temp . When I arrived to pick car up midday on starting had air down too 7 dec within minutes at idle . So fingers crossed for summer .
Tech tested wind speeds for aus spec corolla fan vers aus spec hilux interior fan at center of dash results are .

1985 4 Runner / 1998 Corolla

LHS Dash Center 7.0 m/s 8.5 m/s

RHS Dash Center 6.4 m/s 8.0 m/s

m/s =metres per second . So a 20 percent + improvement in air flow .

Never have had Air /Con working proper and very pleased so far . Bring on summer too test it . Russell :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :cooldude:
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Enjoy your aircon Russell.Its is nice to have a aircon working properly,specialy in a SFA. :thumbup: :thumbup:
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Great! Glad to hear that all is sorted! :D: Enjoy! :thumbup:

4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Mud Dog wrote:Great! Glad to hear that all is sorted! :D: Enjoy! :thumbup:
+1 :thumbup: :thumbup:
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Thanks Fellas .
Its nearly spring getting warm days already hit 28 dec today .Loving it . :thumbup: :thumbup: :D:

ps . Have engine immobiliser central locking fitted . Looking at gps tracker for it on another thread . Next year perhaps efi time . Cheers Russell . :cooldude:

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”