Overland/Multi Day Trip Help

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2007 4l V6 Hilux Raider D/C A/T

Overland/Multi Day Trip Help

Post by Giovann »

I was supposed to do a a Namibia Walsvis Bay trip end of this year, but got canceled due to unforeseen circumstance.

Can anyone recommend some alternative multi-day camp style overland trips that you can do in SA?

Something like Karoo/Kalahari crossing, I'm not yet self reliant so ideally I would like join an operator that organizes convoys though such area.

Any help would be appreciated.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Overland/Multi Day Trip Help

Post by ChrisF »

Giovann consider joining one of the following groups/clubs :

4WDCSA-WC (4 wheel drive club SA Western Cape) - nice weekend trips, but not many of the longer trips you are asking about.

http://www.4x4offroad.co.za/ - this group may be more aimed at the longer trips you are looking for. If you want to know more about this group, speak to Johan Tires at 1st Allignment Centre.

Cederberg 4x4 - http://www.cederberg4x4.co.za/ - I am on their mailing list, and have been VERY tempted to join them on a couple of trips ....

Just ask yourself a very basic question before joining any of these groups - what is YOUR expectation of a "4x4 trip?"

Are you an adrenaline junkie looking for grade 4 trails ???? Then the "club scene", with specific hard trail weekends may be more your style.

Do you want to go off road, enjoy the pristine beauty of SA, USE the 4x4 to get to remote spots, yet seldom more than a grade 3, and then with expert guidance to get you through the tight spots ? Then the later two may well be better options .....

We now prefer to travel alone - allows me more freedom when I get the itch to take out my cameras ..... BUT, this means that we avoid spots where we could get stuck without the support of a group.
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

Thanks, will get a hold of those groups...

I also found these:
http://umkuluadventures.com/wordpress/p ... ng-safari/
http://umkuluadventures.com/wordpress/p ... st-safari/

The 10 day one is a bit pricey and long.

I think the second option is definitely more my speed... I never attempted anything like this before which is primarily why I would like the support of a group.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Our tours started with the BMW motorcycle club of the Western Cape. :cooldude:

2006 we did a trip to Hoggsback with the club. From there the wife and I on one lone bike rode up to St Lucia. 9 days, 5000km. ZERO pre-planning ! Just a line on a map, and "let's see how it plays out" :yahoo:

Then we got our first 4x4. by 2010 we were planning our FIRST cross border trip .. 11 days in Namibia ..... Thus we signed up for a trip with Greg at 4x4 Adventure Club. Perfect trip, perfect timing, even the costs were reasonable ....

But as the time came closer, the emails became less and less .... enquiries were not answered ..... and then with 6 weeks to go the trip was cancelled. :thumbdown: :banned:

And so we headed of all alone into the unknown. Barely a line on a map to follow. My parents lived in Luderitz, thus this was a point on a map, and then all the dirt roads toward Walvisbay ... THAT was the extent of our planning :surrender: :siffler:

As we crossed the border - floods ... roads closed ... and so our line on a map became pretty useless.

We turned to some locals and chatted about options for roads and camping. Off to Ai-Ais. Here the family next to us were from Windhoek ... over a cup of coffee they gave us a LOT of tips of the must see places. And we had so much to see that we never got to Walvisbay :lmao: :yahoo: :laugh2:

EPIC TRIP !! Hopefully we can do this again in 2016.

Draw a line on a map, and post your general direction here. You will be surprised by just how much feedback you will get right here :thumbup:
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

ChrisF wrote:Our tours started with the BMW motorcycle club of the Western Cape. :cooldude:

2006 we did a trip to Hoggsback with the club. From there the wife and I on one lone bike rode up to St Lucia. 9 days, 5000km. ZERO pre-planning ! Just a line on a map, and "let's see how it plays out" :yahoo:

Then we got our first 4x4. by 2010 we were planning our FIRST cross border trip .. 11 days in Namibia ..... Thus we signed up for a trip with Greg at 4x4 Adventure Club. Perfect trip, perfect timing, even the costs were reasonable ....

But as the time came closer, the emails became less and less .... enquiries were not answered ..... and then with 6 weeks to go the trip was cancelled. :thumbdown: :banned:

And so we headed of all alone into the unknown. Barely a line on a map to follow. My parents lived in Luderitz, thus this was a point on a map, and then all the dirt roads toward Walvisbay ... THAT was the extent of our planning :surrender: :siffler:

As we crossed the border - floods ... roads closed ... and so our line on a map became pretty useless.

We turned to some locals and chatted about options for roads and camping. Off to Ai-Ais. Here the family next to us were from Windhoek ... over a cup of coffee they gave us a LOT of tips of the must see places. And we had so much to see that we never got to Walvisbay :lmao: :yahoo: :laugh2:

EPIC TRIP !! Hopefully we can do this again in 2016.

Draw a line on a map, and post your general direction here. You will be surprised by just how much feedback you will get right here :thumbup:
That sound aweseome!

Here is a line on a map that I'm thinking of...
http://www.thesafaricompany.co.za/self_ ... erg_wc.htm

It looks close enough to home to try without supporting vehicles... And always within the a few hours of help.

Thoughts?
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

I'll be watching this topic as I have a very similar problem.

We had a trip planned for this year but I backed out as my kids are still small and driving for 8-10 hours on a day is a bit much for them.

Problem is that you need to consider everyone in the group.

Having said that, it's difficult to get a group together that can get leave/time off at the same time. If you don't go with a group then some of the wilder places become dangerous without a backup vehicle.

Tour operators offer a safer option but we are 5 (6 if the mother in law joins us) and then it becomes quite costly.

My best option now is to convert my SFA to diesel instead of buying a trailer. Rig both vehicles (I have a Troopy as well) and do my own thing at my own pace. That way I have a backup vehicle to help out should one leave me standing.

Obviously we are talking about double the fuel costs but I am then spared the financial outlay of a reasonably costly trailer that would be used once or twice a year.......

The big thing is the freedom to go at your own pace and the flexibility of going when it suites us.
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

There is a fine line between "taking risks" and enjoying an adventure .....

During our near 4 000 km trek through Namibia we spent 90% of the time on gravel roads. On these roads you are never alone, even when traveling on your own.

We were warned about "laag water driffies" ... these had washed out and if you dont slow down enough it can seriously damage the suspension of your vehicle. Other than that it was just only long gravel road - with the most amazing scenery !!

There was ONE spot that got my attention though !!!!!!!!

There was no way around the mud hole ! And it was about 40m long, only later discovered there were 3 or 4 of these along this stretch of road. and there was nowhere to attach the winch to ....

We had already decided to turn around and take the detour, then the Prado stopped - husband, wife and baby ... together we decided that the detour is the best option.

Then a third vehicle joined and he had to go through, thus we teamed up and travelled as a group. Turns out we had to tow him out once ..... was fun :laugh2:

Giovann the bit I know about your route - decent gravel roads. GO and enjoy your trip !! There are forum members that live in that area, so expect more detailed feedback from them.

And if you are still "uncomfortable" - rent a satelite phone, and get some numbers of the guys in the area.
Attachments
1 IMG_2456 (Small).JPG
1 IMG_2448 (Small).JPG
1 IMG_2446 (Small).JPG
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Giovann,
There is a thread about overlanding and the costs assiciated there-with on this Forum somewhere, that was discussed two or three months ago. These costs are in the range of about R1 000 p/p/p/d, 1/2 price for children under 12 plus your own vehicle & fuel. Most of them supply food and tents for accommodation. The Math is then for you to work out how many days you will be travelling with how many people, your costs on your vehicle & fuel.
You will find many different companies doing different routes over a different number of days to suite many different pockets, but the daily tarriffs are very similar and extra flights, bungee jumps or boat or photographic cruises for your own account.
The most affordable way is to kit yourself out with the bare neccessaties and take a trip up along the West coast & then through the Richtersveldt/Kalakgadi Tranfrontier Park. This will give you & your family an idea if you like this type of travel, without breaking the bank. This will teach you what you need on your travels and what works best for you. If you use something only once, leave it at home the next trip. There are enough towns around on this route, where you can buy provisions & fresh meat which can be transported in a cooler box with blocks of ice or ice blocks which do not last as long. Vacume packed meat lasts longer and tinned food can be used as emergency supplies if your meat does not last. Vegetables places in cool dark places last longer.
You will not need passports.
Visit other campers and get advice on what works for them. Learn from other people but use what works for you & your circumstances. Keep calm if in a difficult position. Most circumstances have a way out if you do not panic. On well travelled routes there will be other travellers close by, who will assist you when they see that you are having difficulties. Remember recoveries are priced at a beer for every ten minutes of assistance.
Before leaving for your adventure, attend get togethers with other club members in your area. Each will have their own unique setup which works for them, which they have tried & tested for their use. See what they have and how they use it. Campers are a unique bunch of people who are mostly willing to share their knowledge and keen to show you how their setup works. Look & learn from everyone around you and before long you will be confident with your unique situation & equipment & you will be teaching others.
Be open friendly & helpful & your attitude will get you a long way.
It does help in the beginning to travel with a friend or colleague or someone with similar interests to yourself, but if you start on well travelled routes you should get by just fine on your own. It is not always possible to be travelling to the places which you want to get to at the same time as other people. Start with a week-end/long week-end & GTG trips before attempting longer trips...
Good luck & happy travels...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

Hi guys thanks for the info... I think i ill take the advice and stick a few friends in the double cab, take 2/3 nights on the west coast for a start. Maybe stick to the left of the N7 on the route i posted ealier, as u siad there is enough places to get supplies or bail out
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

I see there are loads of 4x4 trails along the west coast routes, cant find any of the gradings. The videos look a bit hectic?

Judging by you tube I doubt I'll tackle any of them, but would like know if they can be tackled by a novice... Most hectic trail I've done was matroose berg and didn't go all the way to the top

http://www.kleintafelberg4x4.co.za/4x4route.html
http://www.nightjartravel.com/4x4/jakka ... 4x4-trails
http://www.lambertsbay.co.za/activities ... trail.html - Is here a trail here or is just random dune bashing
http://www.boegoeberg4x4.co.za/
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Sure the locals will correct me, but I do believe the "roads" are mostly gravel roads with the odd sand patch.

"trails" are a whole different ball game !! For starters most of these are on private land and you would need to pay a trail fee. As such you really should not end up in a tight spot without fair warning. NEVER a good idea to go on any trail with only one vehicle !!

And this is the difference between "overlanding" where a single vehicle can drive many thousands of kilometers all alone, yet as soon as you enter a "trail" you really should have another vehicle close by.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Giovann, Here is a guide for you which I did alone with my wife in 2011. I was self sufficient but you can adapt it to where you want to go & what you want to do. Only two thick patches of sand on the West Coast. Let your tyres down to about 1.2 and you will be fine. There was no other place that should pose any difficulties to any confident driver with a valid licence.
I am busy trying to write a guide to perspective overlanders to give ideas on what to do when starting out and how to make decisions on what you throw your money at...
Good luck...

July 2011: Parks Holiday(6 000Km’s)

Saturday 2011/07/09 @ 06:00 572 Km’s (Take Padkos)
KWT ----(147)---- Bedford ----(50)-- Cookhouse ----(163)----Graaff-Reinett ----(55)---- Aberdeen----(155)---- Beaufort-West ----(12)---- Karoo National Park.
Sunday 2011/07/10 @ 09:00 454 Km’s (Take Padkos)
Karoo Nat. Park----(199)---- Laingsberg ---(55)---- TouwsRivier----(76)---- Worcester ----(112)---- Cape Town
Monday 2011/07/11 @ 06:00 40 Km’s (Whatever)
Camp----(40)---- 4 Read Road, Ottery : L A Sport
Tuesday 2011/07/12 @ 14:00 245Km’s (Whatever)
L A Sport----(65)---- Malmesbury ----(180)---- Clanwilliam Police Resort
Wednesday 2011/07/13 @ 09:00 234 Km’s (Take Padkos)
Resort----(54)- Van Rhynsdorp----(40)----Lutzville----(70)----Sout Rivier (North West of Lutzville) West Coast Echo Trail S31.24220 E17.87767 Cawood Salt Works/coastal road- follow coast ----(70)---- Camp (Island Point S30.91707 E17.60336 or Groen River Mouth S30.84892 E17.57744)
Thursday 2011/07/14 @ 08.00 525 Km’s (Take Padkos)
Camp---- Groen River Mouth (S30.84892 E17.57744)----Koringkorrelbaai (S30.65580 E17.46311)----Seal Colony (S30.56208 E17.41110)---- Toringkop (S30.55246 E17.45865)---- Spoegrivier (S30.47264 E17.36938)---- Hondeklip Bay----Koiingnaas----(60)---- Springbok----(145)---- Port Nolloth---- (85)----Alexander Bay
Friday 2011/07/15 @ 08.00 200 Km ‘s (Take Padkos)
Alexander Bay ----(82)---- Sendelingsdrift----(40)---- De Hoop
Saturday 2011/07/16 @ 09.00 60 Km ‘s (Take Padkos)
De Hoop----(60)---- Tatasberg
Sunday 2011/07/17 @ 08.00 196 Km ‘s (Take Padkos)
Tatasberg----(20)---- Helshoogte----(25)---- Helskloof----(28)---- Kuboes----(68)---- Eksteenfontein----(55)---- Bushwacked/Aqua Camp
Monday 2011/07/18 @ 08.00 450 Km ‘s (Take Padkos)
Camp----(21)---- Noordoewer----(21)---- left turn to Pofadder ----(220)---- Pofadder----(140)---- Kakamas
Tuesday 2011/07/19 @ 09.00 100 Km’s (Padkos)
Kakamas----(40)---- Riemvasmaak----(40)---- Blouberg (camp)
Wednesday 2011/07/20 @ 09.00 230 Km’s (Take Padkos)
Riemsvasmaak----(20)----N10----(60)---- Noenieput/Obogorap----(40)---- Kooppan Suid----(40)---- Andriesvale/Boksputs----(40)---- Witsand
Thursday 2011/07/21 @ 08.00 240 Km’s (Take Padkos)
Witsand----(80)---- Twee Rivieren----(160)---- Mata- Mata
Friday 2011/07/22 @ 08.00 280 Km’s (Take Padkos)
Mata-Mata----(100)---- Nossop----(40)---- Lands end----(40)---- Nossop----(100)---- Mata-Mata
Saturday 2011/07/23 @ 08.00 803 Km’s ( Take Padkos)
Mata-Mata----(80)---- Twee Rivieren----(80) Bokspits/Andriesvale----(65)---- Cramond----(85)---- van Zylsrus----(65)---- Sonstraal----(65)----Hotazel----(61)----Kuruman----(97)----L-turn to Kimberley----(145)----Delpoortshoop----(25)----Barkley West----(35)----Kimberley
Sunday 2011/07/24 @ 06.00 450 Km’s (Take Padkos)
Kimberley----(36)---- Mokala
Monday 2011/07/25 @ 09.00 363 Km’s (Take Padkos)
Mokala----(54)---- Hopetown----(72)---- left ----(80) Colesberg----(93)---- Noupoort----(64)---- Middelburg
Tuesday 2011/07/26 @ 08.00 118 Km’s (Take Padkos)
Middelburg----(98)---- Cradock----(20)---- Mountain Zebra Park
Wednesday 2011/07/27 @ 09.00 256 Km’s
Camp----(20)---- Cradock----(89)---- Bedford----(32)---- Adelaide----(27)---- Fort Beaufort ----(
25)---- Alice----(65)---- King William’s Town
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: capetown
Vehicle: 97 Hilux Raider 2.4

Post by Rusti »

Hi Govan,

We did our first overland trip in December and it was great.. We also don't have a winch, dual battery etc so we just booked 4 nights at Tankwa national Park and did our own thing.. There are tons of passes and trails in the park and around it.. We did about 1000km on dirt roads. We left from Langebaan and decided to take the long way so we drove up to Clainwilliam and then dirt roads all the way back down from there.. I would NOT recommend you do that.. We didn't realise what we were in for so we got to our camp exhausted 10 hours later.. There were some hectic passes on that route and we were in way over our heads.. But it was amazing and we really learnt allot. Tankwa was great too.. We used it as a Base camp and went exploring around the karoo every day.. It was only R300 for both of us per night and each site has its own kitchenette and bathroom. The site we stayed at only had 1 other site next to it so it was great. Something to consider if you decide to go for something a bit more private..
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

Ps.. Sorry for misspelling your name..I had it and then auto correct un corrected it...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Duanne YES - the first trip on gravel roads is a bit of shock to the system !!!!!!!

I can easily do 1000+km on a single day on tar, but it is a totally different story on gravel !!!!

We now work on a max of 500km of gravel on a single day, and three long travel days are followed with a rest day.

The other thing that seriously got me off guard was the short day light hours during winter in Namibia. Even on tar roads the reduced travel times do limit the possible distances. I DONT (plan to) drive in the dark in Namibia, though we have already had three occasions where we were caught off guard and had to travel the last 30 minutes in the dark to get to the next over night spot.
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

So i gave it a bash and tried out the west coast route posted earlier, decided to only go as far Lamberts bay. Was sadly very disappointing more so with the journey, I very quickly realized that all of this was tar road. I decided to throw out the map and draw my own line on the GPS, found a few shorts stretches of nice 4H gravel road but nothing to write to town about. I got quite exited when I found a few brown lines on the map, only to find out that they where Transnet service roads that have been closed to public since last year, I accidentally ended up on one and got some stick at the boom gate, but they let me through with out much trouble. I also made a u turn in Elands Bay around that mountain pass when I saw the private road sign :( another guy also thought he could go down their with is FJ Cruiser.

For some reason I was under the impression that West Coast and abundance of nice gravel roads you can travel...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Giovann sadly Africa is all tarred up. :( EASY to drive from Cape Town to the very Northern tip of Africa on TAR ....

There are very few "open" gravel roads left.

To add insult to injury MANY "provincial gravel roads" pass over private farms. Due to various reasons farmers often lock the gates to these roads - thus you see the road on a map and head in the direction, just to find you cant access it.

I know of a brilliant peace of provincial gravel road just outside Heidelberg Cape Town - because a friend owned a farm next to it. It even has the little pillar road markers and all. Yet, get to the gate and you the "private road" sign, which is total hogg wash.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Giovann

Try the other side of the N7. Do a trip to Wupperthal via Matjiesrivier and Eselbank, and then through the Biedouwvalley into the Tankwa Karoo. From there you can turn south, towards Ceres, over the Katbakkies Pass and back to Cape Town. This can be done in 1 day of hard driving, but split it over 3 or 4 days is easy.

The big thing about "overlanding" is all not the driving.... That is a myth.. It is also about sitting around a fire somewhere away from it all and enjoying the great outdoors.. We try to drive no more than about 400km max per day. That gives us ample time to explore, see the sights, take photographs etc etc.. It also ensures that we dont arrive at our destination completely exhausted.

Also planning the trip is a big part of the fun as well...
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

ChrisF wrote:To add insult to injury MANY "provincial gravel roads" pass over private farms. Due to various reasons farmers often lock the gates to these roads - thus you see the road on a map and head in the direction, just to find you cant access it.

I know of a brilliant peace of provincial gravel road just outside Heidelberg Cape Town - because a friend owned a farm next to it. It even has the little pillar road markers and all. Yet, get to the gate and you the "private road" sign, which is total hogg wash.
Chris, If it is a Provincial road, the gate may not be locked. Please give me the road number and I will report that farmer. A public road is just that, a public road, it does not belong to any farmer, even though it runs through his farm, he does not own the land on which the road is.

Giovann, just one more thing I wanted to say. Start off small. It is easy to bite off more than you can chew, and that puts a damper on your enthusiasm.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

@Thysdj i was actually gna ask about the other side of the n7 will give u suggestion ago on the next trip... Also agree about the destination, quite enjoyed being away from home, even though the weather was miserable it was still quite fun camping out in the elemens". I think i would just have like a bit more of "the road less traveled" experience being my first attempt.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

So i gave it a bash and tried out the west coast route posted earlier, decided to only go as far Lamberts bay. Was sadly very disappointing more so with the journey, I very quickly realized that all of this was tar road.

Giovann, The gravel roads only start north of Lamberts Bay on the West Coast side and that is not even a days drive out of Cape Town...
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

If your close to the west coast swing a short right before Langebaan and pop into Buffelsfontein nature reserve and take a drive through there.. We are planning to do it the next time we go up to Langebaan.. They have allot of game including giraffes.
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

FYI.. Buffelsfontein does not allow independent game drives.. We enquired for the end of the month.. Only game drives are R500/ person for a guided drive..
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by Racing snake »

Giovann. Namibia is the easiest "foreign country" to travel in. It's easy, same as visiting the Northern Cape. Every thing works, the few locals or friendly and there's fuel and food available everywhere. Roads are generally very good. Most of their dirt roads are better than the Free State Tar roads. You can get to Luderitz without putting a wheel onto the gravel. Traveling up to Walvis is also very easy. The road is well traveled. If you have a problem, you won't wait ten minutes before the next vehicle arrives. Pack your kit and just go. You won't regret it.
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

Racing snake wrote:Giovann. Namibia is the easiest "foreign country" to travel in. It's easy, same as visiting the Northern Cape. Every thing works, the few locals or friendly and there's fuel and food available everywhere. Roads are generally very good. Most of their dirt roads are better than the Free State Tar roads. You can get to Luderitz without putting a wheel onto the gravel. Traveling up to Walvis is also very easy. The road is well traveled. If you have a problem, you won't wait ten minutes before the next vehicle arrives. Pack your kit and just go. You won't regret it.

This is definitely on my to do list... Would like to play around min my own back yard first, before tackling another country.

I'm currently entertaining the idea of doing this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPnyp-rlTAw
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

YES ! Gamkaskloof certainly should be on any travelers bucket list. :cooldude: :yahoo:

Pop in at the Tourist Information Centre in Prins Albert - they have some stunning booklets on the history of the area.

and YES, a most definate YES - it really should take TWO HOURS to do the 45km into the Kloof !!

Okay, it can be done in 45 minutes, at huge risk to yourself and with total disregard for the safety of others .... sadly my planning was "off" and my driving on this day will hopefully be the low point of my off road travels.

Our next trip down there I planned better and actually enjoyed the two hour drive :thumbup:

it is NOT a hardcore 4x4 trail !! In fact you will see sedan cars on that road.

On the way there, look up "Bojaanskop" ..... DONT do the trail on your own !! Last time we were there it was a solid grade 4 !!!!! Not sure of its condition at this point in time. That said, they have some nice accomodation, and excellent bush camp once you have driven through the low river ..... another bucket list venue :thumbup:

Then when you have time for a slightly longer trip - few kilometers past Oudtshoorn you get Baviaanskloof. Depending on recent rains anywhere from grade 2 to grade 4 ..... just phone shortly before the trip to confirm the condition at the time

I LOVE Namibia, and do hope to be there April 2016, but we do have some excellent option close to home :cooldude: :cooldude:
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Baviaans and Gamkaskloof or Die Hel are 2 trips that is really worth doing. There are some trip reports on both of the areas.
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

Any one know of good map resources I can get for Gamka and Baviaans
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

There is a Slingsby map of Baviaans and you should be able to pick it up at Outdoor Warehouse or similar places. GPS will get you there as well. Gamkaskloof I have never seen a formal map. With a GPS you will find Gamkaskloof. Internet maps give a lot of info. The Willowmore tourism office maps are also good for Baviaans.
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Giovann »

Ok, its been decide route has been locked in for December.

Wanna give this a bash,

https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/Cape+ ... 248685!3e0

How many days would you guys recommend stretching this over?
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Giovann,

I am currently looking at exploring the baviaans area and heading down the coast to the lesser places and then maybe up back home via Sutherland.

Will keep you posted. I am planning on taking 16 days to do the circle.
Johan Marais
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

If you don't want to plan the trip' just take a map and join all the dots of the places you want to visit, then go out & do this. The only problem with this is that not every place that you get to will have your style & cost accommodation available. This is why I prefer to plan a trip if I only have a set amount of days to work with, then you can plan what you want to do where. The problem with this is that you will have to return to do the places that you see along the way that you see but do not have time to do. You can get around this by cutting off the last day or two of your trip to carry on from next time. You can also leave the places you missed out this visit as stopping/overnight places next visit, otherwise next time you pass through will be a case of been here and already done that...

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”