Feast for Kings and Hobbits

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Feast for Kings and Hobbits

Post by Harold »

Feast fit for Hobbits tonight. Found these mushrooms in the garden today – known as the 'termite mushroom'; the Zulu’s call them Ikhowe. From what I can find on the net they are are Termitomyces a genus of the Basdiomycetes fungi. Never mind the names – they are delicious.
They must not be confused with Boletus edulis, also a good eating mushroom but a poor second to the Ikhowe.
In central Africa the cap can have a diameter of a metre.
Attachments
Ikhowe 1.jpg
Ikhowe
(41.96 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
Ikhowe.jpg
Ikhowe
(44.26 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
Boletus edulis
Boletus edulis
boletus edulis.jpg (72.3 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Re: Feast for Kings and Hobbits

Post by JEEPIE »

bliksem maar dis groot
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

bly maar bollie lekker
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

We get a lot of the Boletus in our forrestry plantation at Hogsback, .... really nice 'rooms, so if you say the 'termites' are better, then I simply have to get some to try.

The biggest Boletus I've personally found wars about 350mm across (cap) and about 100mm diameter stem.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

P.S.

I can see why you mention that they should not be confused, because they look remarkably similar, but one difference that immediately stands out is that the 'termite' has gills, while the Boletus has sponge on the underside of the cap.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Harold »

Boletus: We also get them in the pine plantations, that is if the wild-pig and everything else have not got there first.
The young boletus are prefered before the cap has formed. With the older boletus I strip out the sponge especially when it becomes soft and greenish in colour as I find it gets slimy when cooked. The older ones also have many small stem borerers.

The Ikhowe are associated with termites and not usually found in plantations. If someone could find a way of growing Ikhowe commercially they would make a fortune.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
roeland.vlok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 97 SFA Hilux

Post by roeland.vlok »

Hmmm...
So bietjie knoffel, blou-kaas en 'n oond sal nou handig wees.
As mens so erg baie van "mushrooms" hou, maak dit mens 'n Hobbit?
Ek het nogal harige voete... :confused:

Geniet dit baie!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Harold wrote:Boletus: We also get them in the pine plantations, that is if the wild-pig and everything else have not got there first.
The young boletus are prefered before the cap has formed. With the older boletus I strip out the sponge especially when it becomes soft and greenish in colour as I find it gets slimy when cooked. The older ones also have many small stem borerers.

The Ikhowe are associated with termites and not usually found in plantations. If someone could find a way of growing Ikhowe commercially they would make a fortune.
I always strip out the sponge unless it's still white ..... once it starts turning yellow (before green) I remove it.

mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: '16 Legend 45 DC 4x4M

Post by mushroom »

Nice pics Harold.
Interesting thing about both of these mushrooms, is that they are non cultivatable. They live a symbiotic relationship with their hosts i.e the termites in the case of the Termitomyces family, and trees, generally pine trees in this country, for the Boletus.

Many a mad scientists has tried to cultivate the Termitomyces (also known as the Natal beefsteak mushroom) as they would command a decent price in the market. They normally only pop up in ceratin times of the year, and generally during the rainy season. The lab rats even tried moving whole termite mound colonies into the lab to stimulate fruiting - to no avail. some even tried electrical pulses through the mound, thinkingthat there was an association with the lightning during the wet season which may initiate fruiting - also to no avail....

So now, all one can do, is visit the lowveld areas between Sept and the end of December, and hope for the best. Please, I repeat, please, dont pick unknown mushrooms to eat. I know a fair bit having studied these buggers, and I still wont pick to eat wild unless I am 100% sure. Also dont believe ANY of the "old wives" tales of "but the skin peeled off easily, it turned the copper penny dark etc,etc, bollocks !!!"
We have some rather nasty ones in this country that look quite like the nice ones.

If you ever need an ID on mushies drop me a pm,

Happy shroomin,
Q20 if its stuck, duct tape if it moves :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks for that interesting info, James. Yes, the Boletus we find on our place are indeed predominantly under pine trees, although we also find a lot in the black wattle groves that occur along the un-forested areas.

When we pick, we trim the sponge (if already yellowed) and the base of the stem that still has some roots / mycellium attached in an effort to propagate them. (We tend to spread these trimmings about a bit ..... I believe the spores are in the sponge). Strangely enough, as you mentioned, it doesn't seem to be very effective, and they seem to remain in certain spots only.

mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

SAPPI and Mondi are sitting on a gold mine in terms of the Boletus that are growing in the pine plantations. There are companies that have contracts to send people into the plantations to pick these shrooms, and rumour has it its a rather fierce little industry, bordering on mafia style syndicates.

Another shroom which grows like these two, is the famous truffle. There are white truffles and black truffles, the black ones being more expensive. The current price delivered is R 38 880/kg !! :shock2: :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:

Considering our Denny mushrooms are around R 40/kg - I'm in the wrong growing game... :( :(

A lekka shroom coming up around this time of the year is the Shaggy mane, or Coprinus comatus mushroom. Very tasty, but beware - DO NOT drink anything alchoholic whilst eating this tasty treat - its natures built in anti alchoholic drug. Volcanic vomiting will settle down after an hour so, by which time you might already be thinking of what to say to St Peter at the pearly gates....fear not, it wont kill you, you will just feel pretty ill for a couple of hours. Heres what they look like...
ink cap.jpg
ink cap.jpg (10.02 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
Often found in grassy areas, like lawns etc... and Andy, these ones can be "grown" by dispersing the spores (although a tricky job, cos the caps start rotting and the spore mass is a sticky black mess, that the Romans used to use for ink) - hence the name "ink caps"

Must be cooked/eaten before they start turning up and going black - delicious.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Harold »

This is proving to be a most interesting topic...................
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

Indeed Harold, indeed....never underestimate the power of the shroom. Heres a pic of what our growing beds look like :thumbup: :thumbup:
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG (120.13 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
Perhaps I will add to this thread, as and when possible, all of the local edible shrooms we find in this country
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

We also get a smooth skinned mushroom with a narrow stem, that also has a sponge rather than gills. The skin colour goes from a light tan through to a dark brown as it ages. Not sure of the species, but I refer to them as buttercups. Don't find a suitable image on the net, but perhaps you could suggest identification from the description, James. (And yes, a list of our edibles with pics would be a great addition.)

Here in EL we often get the Green spore Lepiotta on our lawns, but while some say it's edible, others warn of toxins that can build up and cause irreversible liver damage, so we don't eat them.

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanks for the interesting facts and pictures.
James you said
dont pick unknown mushrooms to eat.
Actually you can eat any mushroom........, only problem is that some you will only eat once and nether again :cooldude:
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Harold »

What mushrooms are these? Common in our area, these were under Oak trees.
Attachments
m-2.JPG
m-2.JPG (73.83 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
m-1.JPG
m-1.JPG (99.27 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Looks like the green spore lepiota I mentioned before. Not edible IMO, but if it's the Marcolepiota, then it's edible. Take one of the caps and lay it gills down on a sheet of white paper. Check it after a few hours and see if the paper has gone a light lime green where the mushroom was lying. If it has, it's a green spore.

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

My take on this...

The Badger Song ( original ) badger badger badger x3 mushroom snake

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

My wife always tells about these nice mushrooms they used to eat as children. Her dad picked it somewhere in Namibia. It is big and apparently tastes like bacon when you cook it. Do you have any idea what this might be?
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

pietpetoors wrote:My wife always tells about these nice mushrooms they used to eat as children. Her dad picked it somewhere in Namibia. It is big and apparently tastes like bacon when you cook it. Do you have any idea what this might be?
Are you talking of Omajowa Pieter? They grow on ant hills. We had them when were in Nam this year and they are really very nice. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Here's some more about them..
http://www.africahunting.com/hunting-af ... mibia.html
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

Omajowa are the same species as the Termitomyces that was picked above....best tasting mushroom on the globe IMHO !!
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Harold »

As is is a (Species of Termitomyces), then it is the same as the Ikhowe mushroom we get here in Natal.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

I am not to worried about what species, all I know is it is blerrie lekker.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Ja Thys that name sounds familiar and the ant-hill story rings a bell, must be it
Cleaner
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4l V6 4x4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X31

Post by Cleaner »

Can you guys perhaps identify the below Shrooms - Came up in my garden in the last few days!
Shroom 1 Smaller.jpg
Shroom 1 Smaller.jpg (124.52 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Shroom 2 Smaller.jpg
Shroom 2 Smaller.jpg (126.02 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Shroom 3 Smaller.jpg
Shroom 3 Smaller.jpg (119.43 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Shroom 4 Smaller.jpg
Shroom 4 Smaller.jpg (120.45 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Shroom 5 Smaller.jpg
Shroom 5 Smaller.jpg (129.75 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Shroom 6 Smaller.jpg
Shroom 6 Smaller.jpg (184.74 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Shroom 7 Smaller.jpg
Shroom 7 Smaller.jpg (134.18 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Shroom 8 Smaller.jpg
Shroom 8 Smaller.jpg (206.9 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
ImageImageImage
"Every loaf of bread is tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't. - Walter Thornburgh"
"The best cure for Sea Sickness, is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan"
Cleaner
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4l V6 4x4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X31

Post by Cleaner »

Two more pics -
Shroom 9 Smaller.jpg
Shroom 9 Smaller.jpg (188.98 KiB) Viewed 4121 times
Shroom 10 Smaller.jpg
Shroom 10 Smaller.jpg (194.18 KiB) Viewed 4121 times
ImageImageImage
"Every loaf of bread is tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't. - Walter Thornburgh"
"The best cure for Sea Sickness, is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan"
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

ek raai gerookte sampioene... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thys de Jager

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Mr Mushroom, are these eatable?

They grow in a flowerbox where I always empty the water bucket which we use to rinse the veggies while preparing food.

So I wondered if it is possible that some spores of the mushrooms were thrown out with the water and now mushrooms grow in the flowerbox. They look just like the big mushrooms one buys in the shops.

I stay in Langebaan, so mushrooms is not something you see in the garden often.

OD is about 90mm, stem OD is about 18mm
Mushroom
Mushroom
Mushroom
Mushroom
Mushroom
Mushroom
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

Hi Piet,

That certainly does look like an Agaricus mushroom, and a brown strain at that. We sell them as the braai mushrooms, and as they are sold open, it is quite possible that the spores found their way into the sink water. The closed white mushrooms don't have the option of dispersing spores, as they are closed.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

OK Thanx, will give it a try, if I report back tomorrow we know it was Agaricus mushroom :thumbup:

I also think it is because it looks exactly like the ones I buy.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Pieter that reminds me of a "Denny fun ride" we did a few years back.

At the end they sold "burgers" - massive mushroom on a bun :)
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Lekkerrrrrrrrr
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

A good rule of thumb with mushrooms is if they a "skirt" on the stem, stay far, far, far away...
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

Err, Niclemaitre, not always the case - see pic.
This is my staff issue of Agaricus mushrooms (Denny mushrooms) :thumbup: :thumbup: with what we call the veil around the stem....that I will certainly feast on tonight
rsz_veil_shroom.jpg
As I said above - never believe the old wives tales going around... thats how people get sick

Get a mate with some mycological savvy, and a good ID book, and even then practice some care
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

We survived.
I noticed that the stem was harder than the stuff you buy in the shop, is that because it was growing in the garden and not a controlled environment?
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

Glad you survived !! could be the environment. The stems are the best part of the shroom, in Durban the Indian staff make a wicked brown mushroom stem (which are thick buggers) curry..
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I bought these funny looking mushrooms yesterday, they are very tasty.
Packet sais Shimeji
Shimeji
Shimeji
Shimeji
Shimeji
Meanwhile, in my flowerbox, just south of the spinach, another 2x Agaricus are sticking our their heads.
James, when is the best time to pick them? How do I know that they are max size?
Agaricus
Agaricus
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Pieter, I don't think that size is the criteria for optimal picking - often the same species growing side by side and having appeared at the same time, are different sizes. I would say that if the heads have cleared the ground and have opened, pick them within a day or two.

Return to “Open Discussion”