Lexus V8 Solid Information

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Lexus V8 Solid Information

Post by pampoen »

Hi guys, i want to know if Lexus v8 solid is a good move to go for. Does anyone have any information on them? Are they legit? Has anyone bought from them? I'm considering buying a unit from them but i first want to make sure they are who they say they are.
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Hilux 3UZ vvt-i. Disco 3 V8 4.4 L. G Wagon 3UZ vvt-i . Polo 2.0 converted...Volvo S40 2.0

Re: Lexus V8 Solid Information

Post by Demon »

You are welcome to make a turn at our workshop and see if we are " legit " we supply engines to people that race the Dakar rally and spend massive amounts doing it. Legit ? www.lexusv8solid.co.za
V8 SOLID
Hangover
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

Demon wrote:You are welcome to make a turn at our workshop and see if we are " legit " we supply engines to people that race the Dakar rally and spend massive amounts doing it. Legit ? http://www.lexusv8solid.co.za
I guess there is no harm in doing homework first... A lot of baaad people out there nowadays... Even good conversion guys going bad...
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Kaspaas
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

Derrick,
Nobody is at fault here, as was said above a lot of bad things around Lexus V8 upgrades has been documented here on the forum.

For instance:
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=23780

Both these guys were long time forum friends.
This is probably still the most viewed engine transplant to date on this forum (over 21 600 views)
To this date we(the Hilux forum) do not know the outcome.

So please be understanding.
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3UZ vvt-i. Disco 3 V8 4.4 L. G Wagon 3UZ vvt-i . Polo 2.0 converted...Volvo S40 2.0

Post by Demon »

No problem with that at all. You got anything to say about my place then please post it.

Outcome on Hilux 1JZ vvt-i = Im still driving this bakkie.
V8 SOLID
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

pampoen wrote:Hi guys, i want to know if Lexus v8 solid is a good move to go for. Does anyone have any information on them? Are they legit? Has anyone bought from them? I'm considering buying a unit from them but i first want to make sure they are who they say they are.
and the question remains : "Who on this forum has bought from this company?"

At least there is the option to go go and visit their premises :thumbup:

Who is close by, and can pop in ?
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

Yes, ONLY reason I have not committed to this conversion is that I still have to meet Mr Right Guy to do this conversion for me (money is not an issue).
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Chris have you been in a cave for the last 5 years ? Seems you were sleeping when this went on in your own "forum"
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=36415&hilit=donovan

With over a thousand 1UZ vvt-i engines sold and they still keep coming....
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Come take a look at how many customers cars Iv got at my workshop....Hang on do I hear a big fat zero
V8 SOLID
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Demon wrote:Chris have you been in a cave for the last 5 years ? Seems you were sleeping when this went on in your own "forum"
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=36415&hilit=donovan

With over a thousand 1UZ vvt-i engines sold and they still keep coming....
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I drive a 2,5 DIESEL ..... certainly NOT the expert on Lexus transplants.

Boet, best take a breath and check your tone ....

Have you seen how often people come onto this forum and ask if 4x4Direct is "legit" ? All it takes is 1 or 2 happy clients to respond and the poster has an answer.
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

You see that Prado on my lift in the website ? that was done by Watson, total redo...transfer case had to be refurbished by Delports as the spline coupling was to long when they bolted it up. Transfer case adapter redone by Chris mod. Engine and gearbox mounts redone.Exhaust redone by JRs ( full stainless with new branches) New radiator and cooling fan. Owner drove it straight back to Durban and still driving it ( 3UZ vvt-i )
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Offtopic
V8 SOLID
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Derrick, you're not being 'attacked' here, the guys are being understandably cautious and are asking if there is anyone that has positive feedback after using your services - basically looking for a referral. If there is no-one on the forum that's made use of your services before, why not post some client referrals here if your clients have no objections.

Even if you're by far the best conversion man out there and I was in line for a conversion, a crappy, know-it-all, arrogant attitude would loose the job - I might have some questions (before and after) and would rather deal with a helpful, friendly person. Just M2CW.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Totota Fortuner 2006 4.0 V6 4x4; Long Range fuel tank; AmadaXtreme suspension; C-Tek D250S dual battery system
Club VHF Licence: HC 141

Post by ronnie »

Wow....and all because one potential customer wanted to find out some information about a business he has not dealt with before. I know what I would do....
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Well then go for the guy that will never respond to this kind of thing on a forum as he is to worried about getting a stack of negative replies.
V8 SOLID
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by pampoen »

Demon, are you affiliated with Lexus v8 solid? If so do you have any customer reviews or numbers i can call to get some more info?
crazyG
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: SFA Hilux

Post by crazyG »

Greetings fellow Luxers, a very important point that most people forget is the importance of prepping a Lexus motor before the transplant, To ensure a reliable motor you should do;1, renew the cam belt and pulley,s with the tensioner shock, 2, renew the water pump and thermostat, 3, renew the tappet cover gaskets, both crank seals and cam seals, 3, remove the sump and remove all sludge, refit with the best quality sealer you can get. obvious stuff like new oil and filter and spark plugs should also be done. I did my SFA conversion and turned out to be a monster truck. Check with the guys doing the conversion and if they cut corners with prepping it,s time to move on to another workshop.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

Gerrie, which Lexus engine did you use?
crazyG
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by crazyG »

Hi, I used the 1UZ FE motor the one without VVT, the original manggment system wired for manual tranny. Even with 33'ers there is more than enough power.
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by pampoen »

Hi Crazy G, where did you pick your motor up from? Any issues since youve started? Whats your ave km/l? How did you wire the engine up for manual? Was it a case of simply removing the auto harness? Also considering your post about the proper preperation of your motor before installation, where would you recommend the best place to get parts like timing belt, tensioner etc.
crazyG
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by crazyG »

Hi Luke, I got the motor from engine den, they supplied the motor without the tranny and already wired for the manual box, the wiring was done by a place called Lextreme, don't know where they are at. The motor was started on the bench before I took it. All engine spares I got from Toyota. I would not be satisfied with a aftermarket hart, hence my Lexus got what it deserved, the best. Ok fuel consumption better than the 4Y that I had in there, open road @120km\h doing 2900rpm +- 8.0 km\l, in town driving a V8, that's all in your right foot but got best about 6km\l, go play in low range she drops to 3-5km\l. I had no problems so far with the unit and are very happy with it.
crazyG
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by crazyG »

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :celebrate: Hi Luke, I got the motor from engine den, they supplied the motor without the tranny and already wired for the manual box, the wiring was done by a place called Lextreme, don't know where they are at. The motor was started on the bench before I took it. All engine spares I got from Toyota. I would not be satisfied with a aftermarket hart, hence my Lexus got what it deserved, the best. Ok fuel consumption better than the 4Y that I had in there, open road @120km\h doing 2900rpm +- 8.0 km\l, in town driving a V8, that's all in your right foot but got best about 6km\l, go play in low range she drops to 3-5km\l. I had no problems so far with the unit and are very happy with it.
rayv
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Empangeni
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4 98 SFA DC

Post by rayv »

Hello Gerrie (crazyG) and any one for the matter can comment.
I would like some advice on manual gearbox for the SFA 4x4 with 1UZ-FE or VVTI engines (Lexus). I currently have issues with my standard gearbox on my 1998 SFA with 1UZ-FE engine and need to decide what is the most correct and reliable replacement.

I would Highly appreciate advice from previous experience and learnings ! Please !
Christian Kuun
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 2008 Tuna V6 4x4 Manual

Post by Christian Kuun »

Edited as to not be a box: Look I am generally a nice oke, so I will give you a little hand here- all you need to do is "COPY and PASTE" below text and add you contact details :thumbup: :

Hi Guys, my name is Derrick and I am the man you have all been waiting for! THE Lexus Expert! My/Our company has excellent references from Dakar racing machines to challenge vehicles and general conversions. We are the market leaders and have nothing but overly satisfied customers. Here are a few pictures/references/examples. Also feel free to refer to the following threads and do not hesitate to contact me on XXXXXXXXXXX if you have any queries or questions- I will gladly help!
Wynkop Kuun

O82 6l5 8lO5
crazyG
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by crazyG »

:naah: :naah: Hi Ray, I don't know what your gearbox does wrong but these boxes are very strong so I would suggest taking the unit to a reputable gearbox repair centre in your area and have it fixed. I have seen boxes from Fords to Isuzus used in Hiluxes, sometimes with great success. I know with some Isuzu boxes the universal angles are a problem causing premature failure and vibrations are common. Matching up a clutch kit could also be a challenge, and the hydraulics can become a nightmare, some vehicles like Mitsubishi uses a pull type clutch and to get the correct slave cylinder travel normally ends up in excessive alcohol use. Other boxes work but the props, mounts, bell housing and gear lever mods are expensive and must be done properly. Give the "expert" a ring, They could lend you a hand. Best to stick to Toyota goodies you could end up with a fruit salad that cant go anywhere without braking down. :bye:
rayv
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by rayv »

crazyG wrote::naah: :naah: Hi Ray, I don't know what your gearbox does wrong but these boxes are very strong so I would suggest taking the unit to a reputable gearbox repair centre in your area and have it fixed. I have seen boxes from Fords to Isuzus used in Hiluxes, sometimes with great success. I know with some Isuzu boxes the universal angles are a problem causing premature failure and vibrations are common. Matching up a clutch kit could also be a challenge, and the hydraulics can become a nightmare, some vehicles like Mitsubishi uses a pull type clutch and to get the correct slave cylinder travel normally ends up in excessive alcohol use. Other boxes work but the props, mounts, bell housing and gear lever mods are expensive and must be done properly. Give the "expert" a ring, They could lend you a hand. Best to stick to Toyota goodies you could end up with a fruit salad that cant go anywhere without braking down. :bye:
Many Thanks, and Yes I agree - Stick to Toyota goodies. All Hardware used for my conversion is Toyota. I Think that the gearbox had most probably a bad bearing from day 1

Regards,

Ray
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Ray, I have a manual box if you are looking for one.

Make me an offer if you are interested. Or swop if you have SFA goodies!
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=39941#p471832
Image Link Broken
rayv
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by rayv »

Knuppel wrote:Ray, I have a manual box if you are looking for one.

Make me an offer if you are interested. Or swop if you have SFA goodies!
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=39941#p471832

Many Thanks for that, will let you know shortly.
I take it then you running the Auto Lexus box ?

Apologies for asking, the recon box from Gearmax - would you consider it as decent rebuild ? Quality hardware used in the box?

Regards

Ray
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Ray, I have not had much to do with gearmax so not qualified to comment on their workmanship, however I have some friends who have used them and there seems to be no alarms going off regarding parts or workmanship. Maybe there are some other forum members who are more qualified to comment.

Also regarding the price, I am very negotiable, I have no clue if it is the ballpark or not. You are welcome to convince me otherwise or if you have any SFA goodies to swop I would also be interested.
If it does not sell then it goes to the scrap pile with the other gearbox for recycling into chinese bicycles :D:
Image Link Broken
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Contact Delports gearbox with regards to recons. Had a few transfer cases done by them with no problems.
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Where you getting your bell housing from ? Go for Gilo engineering ? You have to watch out for that spigot shaft being pushed off line. You getting original Toyota clutch kit ?
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

D4D Gilo engineering bell housing and original clutch with slave sent out to Namibia today.
Attachments
20151113_172713 (Large).jpg
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Guys don't place 30K + orders with me to land up with rubbish.
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Offtopic
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Sent as a complete package today.

Bussmann imported fuse box from the USA
Complete wired engine set up to run the manual D4D gearbox.
Bolt on kit with original Toyota clutch.
Bypass filter 4 bar
Fan belt.
Original hydraulic cooling fan with sensor for ECU.
We fitted new timing belt and tensioner and checked water pump and pulleys.
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Trust me Im not interested in sorting out all the half jobs you guys have gotten into. This site is a very but very small market place for me.
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Offtopic
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Offtopic
V8 SOLID
Workhorse
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux Sfa V8 VVTI

Post by Workhorse »

Good day Gents,

If i can just shed some light on this subject.

I have always been the type of guy to extensively do my homework when i venture into a new project.

The build up to my Lexus conversion was probably a four month process of gathering info and specs.

I started with the Engine Den. Now when i have questions and people have things to hide and cant exactly explain themselves and they not sure. If these are the answers i get then i tend to steer clear from such suppliers. Never mind the lack of response to mails sent from my self. A total of seven mails sent with one reply "Yes we have Stock"

Lextreme they on the other hand were slightly more helpful also failed to share info as if they had something to hide. The lack of response to mails and to return calls, And i am sure i will have to get back to you "which never happened" made me steer clear from these guys.

One of the members on the Forum recommended Derrick fro V8 solid.

Now Guys I don't know Derrick From a bar of soap.

However From the first call and first mail that was sent Derrick responded to all my mails A total of 37 mails where he made suggestions advised me to go the VVTI 5 speed route rather than non VVTI 4 speed. He shared info on his builds and gave me advise on the school fees that he already had paid. these mails was just the build up to my purchase of my motor. Carol and himself made all the arrangements and motor pitched at my front door three days later professionally wrapped up.

During my conversion i had made numerous calls to Derrick for help and guidance which not once did he say can i call you back, No he took every call. And even the Saturday when i started my Lexus at six in the evening i was unsure of one wire, i called Derrick and yes guys he took my call once again and solved the problem.

Anyway enough said.

So if you asking if Derrick is legit and a supplier that i would deal with anytime again then yes.
It was an absolute pleasure dealing with V8 Solid.

One more thing and not to bad mouth any other Lexus conversions but there are a few of them on this forum that have gone badly wrong because of bad suppliers and workmanship. This was my first attempt at doing a conversion of this sort. And a total of 10 weeks i had my lexus up and running.

The pre wired units in my opinion is the way to go.

I drive mine Daily and dis LEKKKKKKEEEERRRRRRRRRRR.

Derrick she still running sweet like a lemon :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Workhorse
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux Sfa V8 VVTI

Post by Workhorse »

Here is my Beast.
Attachments
Lexus V8 VVTI
Lexus V8 VVTI
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Donavan

That looks really good :thumbup:

Exactly the kind of response Luke was trying to get
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Workhorse wrote:Here is my Beast.
VERY neat installation !
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Thank you Donovan. I must say the best part of this conversion was that transfer case adapter that you made. We leave the machining men alone to get the job done right.
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Century orders another five Lexus V8s in November 2015.
Attachments
Century-Racing-CR3 (Large).jpg
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

They are in full preparation for the Dakar 2016. Two cars entered at over a bar entry ticket on each.
Attachments
homepic6.jpg
V8 SOLID

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”