4WD/Part-Time

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Lets Play
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 Hilux D-4D D/C 4x4

4WD/Part-Time

Post by Lets Play »

I see this "4WD/Part-Time" on the 2016 Legend 45 4x4 specs. What does it mean?
4x4KindaGuy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Tampa
Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Hilux 4x4

Re: 4WD/Part-Time

Post by 4x4KindaGuy »

The vehicle will stay in 4WD system most of the time but will just go with 2WD, which is why it's called "part-time 4WD". I've read some write ups saying that part-time 4WD should never be used on dry high traction surfaces cause it may eventually cause you to break expensive parts on your ride due to drive line wind up.

you may look at the the link i've attached to see it's layout
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/abc2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Re: 4WD/Part-Time

Post by cprinsloo »

Part time 4x4 means no centre diff, if you put it in 4x4 then the prop shafts will be locked together, never use on tar, use on dirt roads and 4x4 terrain.
Permanent 4x4 means it has a centre diff, torque split 50:50 between front and back, car always in 4x4 but with open diff i.e. it can go round corners without wind-up. Some permanent 4x4's have centre diff lock, when it is locked it is the same as part time 4x4 which is selected in 4x4, i.e. front and rear props locked together, then you can get wind-up.
Some soft-roaders have a viscous coupling between the front and rear, if slipping is sensed, it will lock the front and rear props together to get some 4x4 capability.
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”