Electric Turbo designed for naturally aspirated vehicles like Toyota 4.0L and 2.7L HeeeeHaaaaaa

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
stumps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil
Club VHF Licence: X225

Electric Turbo designed for naturally aspirated vehicles like Toyota 4.0L and 2.7L HeeeeHaaaaaa

Post by stumps »

Hi all.

I have been looking to get a bit more bite from my 4.0l and the plans were
1. Chip. - Just not enough boost for the petrol
2. Super charger - To much of a modification and very expensive

And just as I wanted to give up

3. Turbo for my hilux.

From what my study has gathered
1. Driven by electric motor so no airflow mods needed
2. Can remove very easily when you sell your car and install on next car
3. 30% -40% increase in power and KW
4. Designed, tested and built for SA conditions
5. +- R18 000 installed and maybe cheaper with stronger rand.
6. Did test on my Lux and pushes more than enough fuel through for the extra boost
7. Patented unique design
8. Sole right to unit held by ex performance car technician. Been in business of Dino tuning for years.

I'm looking to see if the interest is there to run a test day.

ANYONE INTERESTED?

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk
Last edited by stumps on Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Hilux 4.0L 4x4 (Mufasa)
Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil suspesion, Long Range tank, Kilber snorkel

1Co 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;

http://www.sandriver.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.travelconsortium.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ahmedoo
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: pre
Vehicle: toyota fortuner

Re: Turbo designed for Toyota 4.0L and 2.7L HeeeeHaaaaaa

Post by ahmedoo »

I wouldn't mind that at all

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

Any online info available for the unit?
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
stumps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by stumps »

Dirka wrote:Any online info available for the unit?

We are working on a website and I'm meeting with the technician as soon as I'm back from Limpopo for test run.

The better description is that it is an Electric Turbo designed for naturally aspirated vehicles.

But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;

http://www.sandriver.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.travelconsortium.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Re: Electric Turbo designed for naturally aspirated vehicles like Toyota 4.0L and 2.7L HeeeeHaaaaaa

Post by Lorry »

A car without turbo has a different compression ratio than one fitted with a turbo. how are you managing this? Is this unit not just a supercharger working of an electric motor rather than a turbo charger? Is the electric motor a variable speed driving unit or fixed speed?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Electric Turbo designed for naturally aspirated vehicles like Toyota 4.0L and 2.7L HeeeeHaaaaaa

Post by ChrisF »

Lorry wrote:A car without turbo has a different compression ratio than one fitted with a turbo. how are you managing this? Is this unit not just a supercharger working of an electric motor rather than a turbo charger? Is the electric motor a variable speed driving unit or fixed speed?
MUST be variable speed - or it will need one mother of a blow off valve ....

and the speed at which it various the supply air volume must change FAST to keep up with the rev range en responsiveness of a petrol engine .... no use in gearing down if the electric pump is going to take a few seconds to wake up ....

I do believe this have been tried a few times.

Some very good reasons why so many mechanics still install turbos or blowers - both physically connected to the engine speed, or then at least to the volume of exhaust gasses in the case of a turbo ...
stumps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by stumps »

Lorry wrote:A car without turbo has a different compression ratio than one fitted with a turbo. how are you managing this? Is this unit not just a supercharger working of an electric motor rather than a turbo charger? Is the electric motor a variable speed driving unit or fixed speed?
Compression ratios remain the same0.15 to 0.35

suppose you can call it an electric supercharger

stumps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by stumps »

ChrisF wrote:
MUST be variable speed - or it will need one mother of a blow off valve ....

and the speed at which it various the supply air volume must change FAST to keep up with the rev range en responsiveness of a petrol engine .... no use in gearing down if the electric pump is going to take a few seconds to wake up ....

I do believe this have been tried a few times.

Some very good reasons why so many mechanics still install turbos or blowers - both physically connected to the engine speed, or then at least to the volume of exhaust gasses in the case of a turbo ...

I understand its connected to the pc box to regulate all you need.
There is some mapping involved as well.

Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Old school engines required you to drop the compression ration, on modern engines you can get away with it up to a point but I dont think the boost will be going to that territory where you will need to drop the compression ratio.
Image Link Broken
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Knuppel wrote:
Old school engines required you to drop the compression ration, on modern engines you can get away with it up to a point but I dont think the boost will be going to that territory where you will need to drop the compression ratio.
Which brings up the next point ... "turbo" vs "compressor" vs "Blower" vs "compensator" ...

This is starting to sound like a "compensator" ... offsetting low pressure high altitude, by providing a "bit of boost".

And the "similar compression" ratio seems to back this - though by definition compression ration is function of clearance volume to stroke volume, thus not a function of a turbo .... more correctly the increased air flow means more fuel can be burnt and more developed - thus more strain on the bearing surfaces. Again back to what older engines can tolerate vs newer engines .... Punch line - by adding "30 to 40%" to the power figures will certainly be pushing the limits of many engines ... But if this is only a low pressure compensator, then it will only be adding a small bit of power to that which the engine should have a coastal conditions ... well actually 25% increase to coastal conditions.

some of these figures dont seem to add up that nicely ... :subscribed:

would be interesting to see how this works in real life.
stumps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by stumps »

ChrisF wrote:
Knuppel wrote:
Which brings up the next point ... "turbo" vs "compressor" vs "Blower" vs "compensator" ...

This is starting to sound like a "compensator" ... offsetting low pressure high altitude, by providing a "bit of boost".

And the "similar compression" ratio seems to back this - though by definition compression ration is function of clearance volume to stroke volume, thus not a function of a turbo .... more correctly the increased air flow means more fuel can be burnt and more developed - thus more strain on the bearing surfaces. Again back to what older engines can tolerate vs newer engines .... Punch line - by adding "30 to 40%" to the power figures will certainly be pushing the limits of many engines ... But if this is only a low pressure compensator, then it will only be adding a small bit of power to that which the engine should have a coastal conditions ... well actually 25% increase to coastal conditions.

I hear you. Also looking forward to a test run. Seems like installation will be Thursday..............

I'm off to the farm first for some work. Will keep taps on the tread. Going to send all the questions to the technician as well.

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

ChrisF wrote:
Knuppel wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
Ultred
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: '00 Hilux 2.7i D/Cab IFS.
Club VHF Licence: HC108

Post by Ultred »

This is just one of those posts that i have to follow...i'm keen.
I MAY GET LOST, BUT NO WAY IN HELL WILL I GET STUCK
Ultred
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Ultred »

Why has this been such a quiet subject?? Are those test still running?
stumps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by stumps »

Sorry, i have been stuck in musina with a contract and was never able to do the installation. It's still on the cards, for sure. Contract is done in October

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ultred
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Ultred »

Are you still planning on doing the installation? keep us updated... :thumbup:
stumps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by stumps »

Definitely planning on still doing it.

Ultred
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Ultred »

Any verdict....

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk
Jurgen10
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2009 Hilux 4.0 V6 Raider DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC239

Post by Jurgen10 »

There are allot of these type of videos on YouTube.

Mighty Car Mods did some tests so you don't have to :)

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGWgvJN1_8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stumps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by stumps »

Its a 4year old vid. Technology has come along way since then. I still have not been able to test. Just to busy at work. Will see how this week goes

Ultred
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Ultred »

Hi Stumps,

Have you ever had time to run those test...

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”