brake master cylinder replacement

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: lusaka
Vehicle: toyota hilux ln65 4x4 dlx s/c

brake master cylinder replacement

Post by faiyaz »

So my brake master cylinder is leaking badly and i cant find the exact one locally, its a 13/16 master cylinder, bought new seals and fitted them but its not pressurizing , i managed to find a 1" bore master cylinder with the same hole pattern as the 13/16, my question is will the bigger master cylinder cause my brakes to leak over time or will the pedal travel just be less??
hilux raider ln65 4x4 s/c
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: brake master cylinder replacement

Post by Mud Dog »

It should be fine. The bore is not that much bigger that you will notice any significant difference besides a bit better braking power. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

ok thats great, yup the pedal really goes down at the moment theres alot of play, should i adjust the push rod ? if so how to adjust it correctly ?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

No don't adjust it (don't think you can anyway) .... your braking will start a little higher up than before but6 that's also OK and in fact I personally prefer that.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

ok cool thanks for the help !!! will get back to you if any issues.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:winkx:

faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

So i fitted the new master cylinder but before i did that i removed the front tires to make it easier to bleed the brakes, when i did that i notice one side of the caliper was leaking and I had fitted brand new caliper seals about 2 weeks back!! so removed the caliper and found one of the seals had got a grove in it, not sure if it occurred whilst i was fitting it or the quality of the seals is bad, mind you on the RHS i fitted the same seals and no signs of leakage, the pistons are all in good shape along with the bores. Anyways got a new seal and a few for spare, and fitted it, you can see what the one i removed looked like. After this i fitted the new master cylinder and bled the system then checked for any leaks, so far everything seems fine but will monitor that caliper. On the plus side the brake pedal has come right up !! before it used to be only 3-4 cm off the floor now that distance has doubled!! Luckily there's still some free play and no sign of binding on any of the brakes. :yahoo:
Attachments
DSC_0109.JPG
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Great stuff! :thumbup:

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Glad to hear you got it sorted.
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

yup! but the following day the clutch slave cylinder gave up!! it was the seal inside luckily i was close by home, so just drove it in second!! managed to get a replacement kit and honed the cylinder to clean it up, also opened the master cylinder to inspect the seals, they were in good condition, bled the system and the clutch pedal is solid now !! think i used cheap brake fluid and it dissolved the seals ( within a year) because the brake fluid was really black, this time i used FUCHS dot 3 brake fluid so should be ok.

Return to “The Workshop”