Shame on you VW...

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Shame on you VW...

Post by Stef »

2010 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
73 000 km

no second gear...and this is what the insides looked like:
IMG_20170617_104939_450x600.jpg
IMG_20170617_104741_450x600.jpg
IMG_20170617_104618_450x600.jpg
IMG_20170617_104529_450x600.jpg
VW quoted R16k to fix and R32k to replace gearbox (excluding the clutch) and the would keep the car for a week

As it turns out it's a common problem on these gearboxes; parts (from VW )only came to R1500; clutch another R2060 :silent:

Took it to a guy yesterday morning (yes on the public holiday) and got it back today at 12h00. Quoted me R3k on labour and did not charge extra for fitting the clutch.

(incidentally one can get a brand new gearbox from Germany for R6k landed in SA)

[/rant
]Oh and VW Mcarthy Wonderboom....don't bother returning my call; I found a clutch kit thank you very much so you can keep your so-called genuine parts and mount it on your fancy new facades after the renovations. If I ever lose my sanity and buy another VW it certainly will not be from Wonderboom and I started servicing at Hatfield ages ago because you are less than helpful, but then again it would seem that the real experts are not employed by VW so I'll stop going there too....

[/rant over]
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Shame on you VW...

Post by Mud Dog »

Sad, but this seems to be the general game plan with all brands nowadays Stef. Try get you locked into their product and milk you for what you're worth ...... and worse still is that they keep getting away with it.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Stef sadly you could add Ford / Mazda / Toyota / ..... into those sentences just as well.

This industry is on a downward spiral.

My issues with Toyota Barloworld Tygervalley is well documented on this forum. So I take the morning off to take my car to Imperial Toyota Cape Gate - even though my office window looks out onto Barloworld Tygervalley.

Good clean workshop.
Glass wall, so you can see your car while having coffee ....

After the service I stop for fuel, the attendant asks if he should check the water and oil .... I comment that the car has just been serviced and all SHOULD be okay .... I start wondering and we open the bonnet :
- The petrol attendant picks up the window washer is low on water !! THANKS Imperial Toyota !!
- open the air filter box ... dust in the box .. seems they dont even open the airfilter on the 15k service.
- went home and took my checklist and CHECKED every single item the way they were paid to do !!! wetters !!!!
- when I got the customary follow up call I relayed what had happened ... still waiting for the service advisor to follow up .....

vir sulke patetiese diens kon ek maar net sowel na Barloworld Tygervallei gegaan het.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Problem is that the majority of vehicle owners do not have the technical knowledge to make another plan and just belive what the agents tell them. As long as people get caught with this scam vehicle manufacturers will do it. This is the only time I agree with Julius, if I may quote him "Bloody Agents!"
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

My issues with VW and their after-sales support is also "well ranted"
I suspect VW would have kept the car for a week simply to order a new gearbox for R6k from Germany and told me that they fixed it and then they have a spare that can be fixed up for under R2k as I've already paid for the labour to remove it from the car.

My gearbox knowledge is also on the skimpy side, but I know how to use a phone, and I've learned not to trust VW.

This notion of hiding known issues and raping the customer's wallet will hopefully byte them hard with the current recession, and this is where the so-called backyard mechanics are carving a nice little position for themselves in the industry.

Ironic that the big VW building in Midrand has a slogan printed on the side that reads: "your car arrives an Audi, it should leave that way too" yet their lies and BS are driving the customers towards other avenues of support that actually tell it like it is.

(PS that clutch is a LUK nogals...fortunately I got SACHS for the SFA)
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

I agree the dealers are really stealers

Hoever R6k for a new gearbox? That seems super cheap.
Real drivers use three pedals
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

That's what the guy said...haven't verified it or tried getting one. I would imagine that it would not be from VW though, probably an aftermarket one manufactured under license from VW or something to that effect

Return to “Open Discussion”