Sticky windows

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Sticky windows

Post by pampoen »

Hi guys,

Is there any way to get my windows to wind up and down smoothly without it catching? I have this issue with all 4 of them.What do you guys do to get them to wind down without working out for a week.

Another question I read an awesome article years ago where I think it was MRb that replaced his outer door seals with aftermarket ones. Would LOVE to read that article again, I might even do an update on it.

Once again, thanks in advance! :thumbup:
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
mossie89
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 4x4 4.0 v6

Re: Sticky windows

Post by mossie89 »

Try to spray your window traks and rubbers with silicone spray, it worked on mine
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

mossie89 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:01 pm Try to spray your window traks and rubbers with silicone spray, it worked on mine
:thumbup: or graphite powder
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

My experience with silicone is that it works for a short while and then becomes sticky again, especially in damp weather. The graphite powder is a better option, but there again it's not a long term solution because the graphite slowly dissipates. However, it's almost impossible to remove the silicone which then remains as a permanent problem whereas graphite you just reapply when ever necessary. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

tnks guys. Graphite powder it is!
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Post by Lorry »

Just some info. My drivers window starting sticking and got worse and worse then one day I heard a clunk when I tried to wind my window down. After a lot of swearing and stripping the door panel, it tuned out that the spot weld sheared on the link arm from the motor to window slide mech. after a new weld all was in order, I use silicon spray now and it works like a charm, I also clean and check the seals that they are clean now. This causes less swearing on my part :)

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”