Torsion Bars

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
apggs
Town: Northampton
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Surf

Torsion Bars

Post by apggs »

Hi all, hoping someone can help me before it all gets too late... :surrender:

Got a '91 JDM-import Surf with the IFS. Trying to remove the front torsion bars ahead of ordering the +2" replacements. I understand that turning the large bolt one way raises the truck and other lowers the truck. I'm fairly sure mine have never been undone. Ever. So despite an impact gun on the bolt and a spanner on the upper nut, nothing happens. All I'm doing is rounding the nut. I've sprayed WD40 by the can, PlusGas too, but nothing. Any help, pointers, hints greatly received; like, which way do I need to be actually turning the bolt?!

Access is limited due to brake or fuel lines in the way on the driver's side. Haven't attempted the passenger side yet. Thanks in advance, Adam
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Re: Torsion Bars

Post by LouisZ »

It can be difficult to get it loose for so long time.

Another way is to take used ATF(power steering liquid), drip it in as much as you can and leave as long as you can. Over a day is better.

It should work the rust. Bottom head of the bolt should be turned anti clockwise to get it out.

Some cases one don't have a choice but to cut. :(
Attachments
Front suspension.jpg
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I might be stating what may already be obvious to you, but take the weight off the torsion bars (jack up the front with stands under the chassis rails).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
apggs
Town: Northampton
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Surf

Post by apggs »

Thanks guys for your replies. I'll give the ATF trick a try.

Forgot to mention that the truck is up on 4 axle stands with no wheels on, so no weight bearing.

Cheers
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Post by JAMES399 »

Try a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. That is the best rust buster around.

- JAMES

Return to “The Workshop”