2015 Jimny Front Axle broken

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

2015 Jimny Front Axle broken

Post by louis fourie »

So here is my story. A story of non-service and unique and perfect in Africa, South Africa.

On the 2nd of October 2017 my wife, son and daughter came back from church at around 22:00. We stay on a farm :yahoo: and like most other farms there is a dirt road of either 16 or 10km to our farm. We have another road of 26km also which the Jimny also faces quite often. Anyway, about 5km from the Moloto road on the R628 (dirt road) my wife felt something is wrong with the steering and decided to stop (She was doing 60km/h just before she realized something is wrong - 10 min earlier it would have happened at 100km/h on the very busy Moloto road). When she opened the door the car "dropped" on the right hand side. This is what she saw.

Photo 1a.JPG
Photo 2a.JPG
Photo 3a.JPG

Long story short. Waited toghether with a neighbour until 00:00 for Suzuki road assistance (which was sub-contracted to the AA which was sub-contracted to a tow-in service :o: ). I must however say that the tow-in service was very professional & friendly and the guy loaded the Jimny without moving the front wheels.

From here it was taken to a Suzuki dealer in Pretoria closest to me (Let's leave it at that at this stage). On Tuesday (4 October) I found the following at the dealer (Yes, I know the car is dirty inside - I stay on a farm....remember....., but I will never do this)
Photo 4a.JPG
Photo 5a.JPG

Oily parts on the carpet, wheels in the Escape Gear seat covers...bliks....

Got my insurance involved as well. They sent out assessors twice and twice they confirmed that the breakage was not because of impact. So, no insurance claim possible. Up to today they are supporting we very well and even the assessors phone me weekly to inquire on how it is going and whether my problem is sorted.

At this stage in time I think I must give a little more detail about the usage of the Jimny

1) The vehicle is a mom's taxi.
2).... never drove off road.
3) 2 years 5 months old
4) 43 000 km on the clock with more or less half of that on gravel (we stay on a farm)
5) it is a 4x4 which should be tough and that can handle at least gravel roads.
6) We bought the vehicle because of point 5 and it is/was always what my wife wanted (I am a wife-pleaser :cooldude: )
7) EFS after market suspension fitted as part of the deal before I took delivery of the vehicle. The suspension is not unders suspicion.
8) Yes, the tyres are pumped a very hard 1.4 bar (Internal joke - Louis Z will know)
9) We drive on a 8/80 road meaning you either drive 8km/h or you drive 80 km/h. Anything in-between you loose your teeth and your kidneys. Driving faster you are looking for trouble.

On 16 October we (My friend or neighbour or lawyer, my insurance broker, the insurance house, 2x assessors and my wife had a meeting with the specific dealer mentioned above....closest to me. I think the only important thing that came out of the meeting is that there are 2 reasons why this breakage could hapen:

1) Impact, but the insurance says know
2) Some or the other defect in the axle, whether it is welding or a week spot or what every - Louis, please feel free to comment.
3) The dealer (workshop manager) added...misuse....mmmm, and in the same breath said that one can see that the car never went offroad, not even a scratch at the bottom.

(to be continued)
louis fourie

Re: 2015 Jimny Front Axle broken

Post by louis fourie »

So, now only after the meeting Suzuki SA wanted to see the broken axle. The dealer told me, after I had to phone them 3 times, on the Friday of the same week that Suzuki SA will pay half of the parts on goodwill, I pay the other half and the dealer take the labour cost....well he said that is what is being discussed. On Tuesday 24 October 2017 I got the "report" back from Suzuki SA and it reads:

"Good-day

This is to inform Suzuki Montana, SASA will not authorise warranty claim failure of front differential housing as this vehicle’s suspension has been modified by fitting a non –approved suspension lift kit.

Thank you"

This with a few photos of measurements of the suspension. What a professional report. Well done Suzuki SA.

I decided to move the car to a saver place after the dealer threatened me with storage cost etc. and payed the R2633 for the stripping and quoting that they done. Below, on it's way to a trusted Forum Member
IMG_2257.JPG
Louis from 4x4Direct had a quick look at the parts and bits and pieces and found the following:
Diff Flange 1.JPG
Diff Flange 2.JPG
I got the following reply from the dealer on requesting about the welding:

"Good day Mr. Fourie

The tag weld of the dust over on the pinion seal was part of the parts assessment that was done. The dust over from factory comes spot welded. After the incident it was found that there were excessive strain on the diff. this was found that it was due to the deformation of the dust cover. We loosened the dust cover, re-aligned and spot weld in position. By performing this analysis we found that there are n failure or damage to the diff. the only part required there for replacement would then be the yoke. And pinion seal.

I hope this clarify the matter."

Dink die ou ek is f....lippen stupid :?:

Prokureur is besig met 'n brief en sal moontlik Maandag uitgaan na Suzuki SA, Ombudsman, die finansierings instansie etc. etc. Ek het kontak gemaak met TUV (Al Woendag, maar nog niks gehoor nie), SABS, CSIR, Carte Blanche (ek hoop hulle dink my probleem is ernstig genoeg). Ek wil nog Beeld "se tot u diens" ook kontak.

Ek hoor graag julle opinies.

Groete
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Mmmmm...wat het Suzuki Japan hieroor te sê?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
louis fourie

Post by louis fourie »

Thabogrobler wrote:Mmmmm...wat het Suzuki Japan hieroor te sê?
Goeie vraag. Sal hulle ook op copy sit.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Unbelievable.I had "abused" my SJ410 which I had owned many moons ago,doing extreme offroad stuff and never ever had any issues with the chassis or diffs.In fact there are numerous serviceable sj410's around the country in everyday use.
Your Jimmny def had a metal flaw on that front diff housing.You don't get vehicles built much stronger now days.
Suzuki should bear the cost and sort you out as I believe that this incident of yours could cause a very negative
PRO exercise to the name brand and ultimately sales.
I wish you good luck and hope you get sorted out .
louis fourie

Post by louis fourie »

Suzuki came back to me today and said the Jimny will be repaired under warranty. I am gaining some confidence.

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Great news!

Why the sudden change of heart?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Dowe Koos
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Lekker man, bly vir jou part.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
louis fourie

Post by louis fourie »

Thabogrobler wrote:Great news!

Why the sudden change of heart?
Thabo

Sal later meer sê. More is dit presies 'n maand. Image

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Yes!!! Ek is bly want ek weet die metalurgiese toets sal aandui dat die metaal te hard geword het met die sweiswerk.

Bonop sal daar 'n " Recall" wees op die maand en jaar as Suzuki nou rerig smart wil wees.
louis fourie

Post by louis fourie »

LouisZ wrote:Yes!!! Ek is bly want ek weet die metalurgiese toets sal aandui dat die metaal te hard geword het met die sweiswerk.

Bonop sal daar 'n " Recall" wees op die maand en jaar as Suzuki nou rerig smart wil wees.
Wel, elke donker wolk het 'n silwer randjie, en nee dis nie dat Suzukk die kar onder waarborg gaan reg maak nie.

Die Jimny het 'n week by Louis (4x4Direct - Centurion) gestaan. Dankie aan jou Louis, vir jou geduld, jou raad en 'n bereidwillige oor om te luister.

Hieronder my post soos op die 4x4Community forum.

I want to start this reply with saying thank you to Suzuki Montana for coming back to me. They could have kept quiet and I would have had to fight the fight and even had to carry the cost myself.

This is the integrity that makes one to return to a dealer (not necessarily a brand - I think most of you have experienced different service levels from different dealers).

What am I saying?

The reason they came back to me is, because there is another Jimny that is cracking/failing on the same weld on the front axle.

Why do I mention this?

If this was not a safety critical issue I would most probably kept quiet it, but I see it as my responsibility/duty to fellow community members.

What must you look for?

The right hand side (when sitting in the car) of the front diff (short side) should not have oil on the axle. You can also check for oil on the garage floor where the car is parked.

The breakage could have being ugly and I am greatfull that my wife and 2 children that was in the car are unharmed and alive.

I am also greatfull that it is not necessary that I have to fight the fight, because I have decided no matter what the cost would have been I would have seen this fight through.

I will keep you informed about the progress on the repairs and I hope that this post will save lifes.

Thanks again to Suzuki Montana. My perception of you and your team is changed.

Return to “The Workshop”