China 2017

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

China 2017

Post by pietpetoors »

I went to China again, but for the first time took my wife with me.
We went to Beijing, then took the train during the day to Shenzhen and then to Guangzhou.

First would like to post some pics of the interesting bike and bicycles I saw on the show. All the bicycles in the pictures are electric. There are not many stands with normal bicycles, most of them are electric now.
bikes-canton-fair-(18).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(17).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(16).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(15).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(14).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(13).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(12).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(11).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(10).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(9).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(8).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(7).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(6).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(5).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(3).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(2).jpg
bikes-canton-fair-(1).jpg
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Re: China 2017

Post by pietpetoors »

In Beijing it was raining all the time. We went to the Forbidden City the first day. Second day to the Summer Palace and the third day to the Great wall of China.

It is a challenge to travvel in CHina because hardly anybody understands you, all signs and street names are in Chinese and Google does not work in CHina. So no maps and no translate app. Most translate apps piggy back on Google.

We did take zillions of pictures, here are just some of it.

What is amazing at the Summer Palace is that everything is decorated. Each and every pilar and roof truss is painted, patterns and paintings. There are many buildings.

Forbidden City
Forbidden City
Forbidden City
Summer Palace
Summer Palace
Summer Palace
Summer Palace
Summer Palace
Summer Palace
Summer Palace
Great Wall
Great Wall
Great Wall
Great Wall
Great Wall
Great Wall
Great Wall
Great Wall
Great Wall
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

This was at one of the markets at Beijing. This guy is painting paintings on the inside of bottles.
Inside bottle paint
Inside bottle paint
Inside bottle paint
Inside bottle paint
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I took the speed train from Bejing to Shenzhen during the day because I wanted to see what the area looked like.
Took us from 10h00 to 18h00 to cover the (I think ) 2500km

It was absolutely amazing. For the first 1000km it was only these small farms, looks like small holdings. They plant veggies and so on here. Every now and then you see a village with about 50 or so houses, then the landerye again. There is no pen veld like we know it, just crops after crops after crops for more than 1000 km.

The only time it stopped was when the area became more hilly. Close Shenzhen we started to see Golf estate and so on.
Speed
Speed
Landerye
Landerye
Landerye
Landerye
Spoed Trein
Spoed Trein
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

First stop in Shenzhen was the Window of the World. One day is not enough for this. They have scale models of all well known buildings all over the world. The amount of detail in these scale models are just breath taking. If the original is in granit, the model is in granite, if it was sandstone, the model is sandstone. Each and every brick is made to scale, roof tiles, etc.
Window of the world, Shenzhen
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

By the way, go Google Shenzhen. 30 years ago it was a small fishing village, today it is a huge city with about 18 Million people.

Next day was Shenzhen Cultural Village. This is also scale models but only of buildings within China.
Same story, built with real scale bricks and tiles.

In some of the pics you will see the scale. Many of them are scale 1:16.

One also need a whole day for this place.
cultural-village-(1).jpg
cultural-village-(2).jpg
cultural-village-(3).jpg
cultural-village-(4).jpg
cultural-village-(5).jpg
cultural-village-(6).jpg
cultural-village-(7).jpg
cultural-village-(8).jpg
cultural-village-(9).jpg
cultural-village-(10).jpg
cultural-village-(11).jpg
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Next up was the Shenzhen Botanical gardens which is only 560 Hectare big. It was beginning of Autum, thus unfortunately not many flowers were flowering.
Shenzhen Botanical Gardens
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

After Shenzhen it was Guangzhou where we attended a trade fair. That week was only work, work, work and more work.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Thanks for sharing my China
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Excellent report, Pieter. I replied last night already but seems I pushed the green 'post reply' tab instead of 'submit' under the quick reply window. Not the first time I have done this, and I did not wait to check my reply, so no post.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

My business partner went to China to visit the Hytera radio factories... they have a massive building for each of the different departments of the company and he thoroughly enjoyed it. 98% of the workforce of Hytera are university graduates, the remaining 2% are cleaning staff etc. He really found it an eye-opener!

-F_D

Edit: Aah... found the missing post!

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

pietpetoors wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:25 pm After Shenzhen it was Guangzhou where we attended a trade fair. That week was only work, work, work and more work.
Canton Fair? , been there in April . :thumbup:
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Eric, China is an eye opener. It gives new meaning to a devloping country. Over the past 5 years I went there, you see tremendous development.
They must have an over supply of Granite and stainless steel. In some areas they are now taking out the old cement pavers on the sidewalks and replace it with granite blocks. At the subways and so, everything is granite and stainless steel.
I took pictures of flag ples which are also stainless steel.

About three years ago I took pictures of these bicycles you can rent by swiping a card.
Now the bike sharing schemes use an app and gps. 3 years ago most people had their own bicycles, now you hardly see a private bike, most are bike sharing bikes. You look for the nearest bike on your app, walk to it, scan the bikes code with your cellphone, it unlocks. You drive and wherever your destination is, you stop, lock the bike and leave it there. This you can only do in a civilized country where laws are envorced. Imagine trying this in RSA, the bikes will all end up at scrap metal dealers. There are so much you can do to improve your people's living conditions if you do not have a lawless society.

I can also see how are getting poorer and poorer and the Chinese are getting richer and richer. First time I went over a Yen cost met R0.96, now it cst me R2.10 and that while the prices of goods I use during my visit stayed more or less the same. In some cities they cannot keep up with building enough fancy appartment blocks, they build them about 40 or 50 stories high and they are expensive. But so many of them can afford it, much more than down here. It is like you said, most of their staff are qualified. They get good salaries and can afford the fancy houses.
Guangzhou Bike sharing. Even the little yellow line at the and are more Bicycles, just from another company.
Guangzhou Bike sharing. Even the little yellow line at the and are more Bicycles, just from another company.
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Pieter this is soon to be my new home away from home for a few years. Good to see other people also see the developing of a very interesting country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johan Marais
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

I heard of their economic growth is better than the Usa.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Jis Johan, wat gaan jy daar doen?

Return to “Trip Reports”