Coolant Replacement

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6, relatively standard; for now...

Coolant Replacement

Post by smokintyres »

My 2.7 will get some TLC this weekend and I was just wondering if I should purchase the original Toyota Coolant (Pink fluid) or if anyone can recommend any other brand?
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux - Lexus V8

Re: Coolant Replacement

Post by GRWLR ZN »

If you can get your hands on the Toyota pink stuff at a good price, then stick with it.

If not... Castrol Radicool SF premix should do the trick (it's also pink) ... works in my lexus with no hassles :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

As far as raising the boiling point and lowering the freezing point of the coolant water, they all do more or less the same job (ethylene glycol base). Where the difference between a good or bad product manifests is it's ability to stop corrosion and lubricate the pump seals / bushes and furthermore how long it can do so effectively before efficiency drops off. The premium products are all pretty much on a par with each other overall IMO and generally you get what you pay for except maybe in the case of paying the often higher dealership spare-shop prices.

Also important to bear in mind is that these products are intended to be replaced annually - a good thing in itself besides just for replacing the additive. Older vehicles with original radiators could benefit from a radiator flush as well. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

Thanks Andy and Louis! Did a bit of shopping around and found that the Toyota fluid is marginally more expensive than the Castrol, so I am going to stick with the original Toyota fluid.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

Any recommended brand of flush?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

If the Toyota one is only "marginally more expensive" as quoted above, then maybe use that one. :winkx:

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

If the system has rust and rubbish in it then I would do a flush. If the system has always had the correct concentration of coolant then I would not use a chemical flush to flush it as the coolant also serves to keep the system clean and prevent rust. At most I would flush the radiator with clean fresh water.
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

Mars wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:21 am At most I would flush the radiator with clean fresh water.
I see Tim stays in Cape Town, better do that flush at midnight or someone might shoot you if you use drinkable water to flush a radiator :D:
Mars

Post by Mars »

I actually noticed that and was tempted to say unless you stay in Cape Town. Being the fastidious owner that he obviously is I think he would probably go and by about 15 litres of Valpre and not use the tap water. :laugh2:
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Excuse the hijack, but was wondering what is the best procedure for flushing the coolant system. Is it as simple as removing the top and bottom hoses and shoving a hose pipe in? What about flushing the block? Mine is not too bad, but I want to replace the coolant and have noticed some rust in there. Would like to start off clean. Thanks
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Just get a bottle of Winns Radiator Flush and follow the label instructions. A little coolant is removed and the bottle contents added to the radiator - the motor is run for a short period and then all coolant is flushed / drained and replaced. So that will flush out the block as well.

dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Thanks Andy, will get some Wynns and give it a go one of these fine days. Haven't serviced the bakkie for about 3 yrs, so will do everything at once. Want to try the diesel in sump flush as well.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

You wrote:Haven't serviced the bakkie for about 3 yrs ...
:blink:
Not good Peter, but I suppose a lot depends on what mileage has been done over that period. The anti freeze however is not intended to last that long and may be the reason why you are getting traces of rust in the coolant - it should be replaced annually even if the vehicle is not used regularly.

This is one of the things I have a bit of a battle with - only two of my vehicles get used on a regular basis but I make a point of keeping the batteries charged and starting them all up at least every 2 weeks, letting them run for about 10 to 15 mins. Also take each one for a drive up to the shops or around the block just to churn up the oil in the diffs and boxes (engage 4x4 without locking the front hubs). Vehicles don't like to stand unused for too long.

Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

This Toyota Red coolant - is it to be used neat or diluted with water in a certain ratio? I have read conflicting views on the american forums compared to my query to the stealers. Stealers say it must be used neat but this is a salesman not a mechanic, and I'm sure all Toyota employees would say the same.. pretty pricey at R65.00 per litre, x8 and you're looking at half a grand on coolant alone!!!
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by smokintyres »

I had the exact same thoughts, but the coolant should definitely not be diluted. It is formulated to keep your internals corrosion free and your water pump running smoothly. Saving a couple of Rand by diluting may end up costing you more than a few grand to replace water pump and perhaps a blown engine...
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

Gotcha, thanks!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Got to say that I take the recommendation of the Toyota antifreeze with a pinch of salt. These things are all ethylene glycol or propylene glycol and they all do more or less the same thing when used as recommended.

I have used the 'off the shelf' additives for decades without any water pump failures or excessive corrosion (a little corrosion is unavoidable IMO) and I have covered many thousands of kilos in that time. I just get a decent brand and add a little more than the recommendation on the bottle.

Bear in mind that they all have a limited period of efficiency and should be changed annually - that part I believe in.

Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

What do you mean by 'additive' Andy? - a concentrate that is added to water in a ratio? The Castrol Radicool and Toyota stuff seem to be the standouts on the premixed coolant front and at roughly the same cost. What brand would you recommend for either premix or additive?

This is a very decent original '95 I bought a year or so ago and the first hilux I've had which is in a state that I want to give it the best and make it last another 20 years:)
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Additive - yes, usually comes in a litre bottle that would typically treat about 5 lit water. Ultimoil made a good one if you can still get it, otherwise the Castrol one (additive) isn't too bad, but if you find any of the better known brands like Holts, Wynn's, Spanjaard etc., they should be more than able to do the trick.

Like I said though, they should be replaced annually and the same goes for the Toyota one. Here's the thing, there can be no doubt that if Toyota put their mark on it, it's going to be a good product - but is it 4 or 5 times the price superior? I think not.

Mars

Post by Mars »

I usually get the G10 or G10plus coolant from Goldwagen which is a Volkswagen coolant. It is a concentrate so it works out cheaper than the pre-mixed coolants you buy from the stealers. I don't like paying a premium for their water. The Toyota coolant is marked as Long-life (the G10 plus too) on the bottle so I don't think you need to replace it annually. I certainly don't and I have not had any form of corrosion in my system.
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

I speak under correction, but in the back of my head is stuck the figure of 90 000 km for the Toyota LL coolant??
Surely that does not have to be changed annually?
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

Have a look at this link:

http://www.toyota.co.za/genuine/service#value-service

On the service schedules the TOY LL coolant gets replaced after 160K Km en then thereafter every 80K Km.

It's nice link to have so you can see what exactly needs to be done.
Only for current production models.
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hmmm ...... Interesting, you live and learn. Then the Toyota coolant might well make economic sense in the long term - but what about cases where you may loose the coolant when a pipe leaks or the coolant has to be drained to work on the motor or replace radiator etc? If you're not doing it yourself will the mechanic working on the car save the coolant?

I think I would still go with the cheaper concentrated additive.

Return to “The Workshop”