Stuck transfer case filler plug

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Stuck transfer case filler plug

Post by niclemaitre »

Hi there

My filler plug on the transfer case is stuck solidly. After stripping it with a socket :slap: , I've tried the vice grips, the bigger vice grips, the Knipex pliers, a smaller cheap Chinesium socket hammered on and nothing. There's not really room for the bobbejaan in there.

I'm left with two choices:
Break an easy-out off in it

Weld on a nut.

I'm worried that since the transfer case body is aluminium, welding a nut to the filler plug (which seems to be steel, since it's magnetic) might damage the case body. I only have an arc/stick/SMAW welder so its going to be interesting. Any advice, cautionary tales will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers
Nic
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: Stuck transfer case filler plug

Post by Mars »

Hi Nick

As long as you do not draw an arc on the aluminium it should be fine. Fortunately the welding will not stick to the aluminium. I once tried to help a guy who had managed to weld a broken bolt very nicely to the cast iron engine block. That was a bit of fun. I have welded out broken studs/nuts from aluminium cylinder heads and engine casings without issue before using an arc welder. The process of welding a nut onto the plug has the added benefit of really making the plug very hot which causes it to expand. Once cooled off you might actually find that the plug comes out much easier.

Make sure that you disconnect the alternator (all the wires) before you start welding (and maybe even the earth clamp of the battery for good measure).
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

have you tried hitting a smaller hex socket on it? rather than the multipoint socket.
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Mars wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:07 pm Hi Nick

As long as you do not draw an arc on the aluminium it should be fine. Fortunately the welding will not stick to the aluminium. I once tried to help a guy who had managed to weld a broken bolt very nicely to the cast iron engine block. That was a bit of fun. I have welded out broken studs/nuts from aluminium cylinder heads and engine casings without issue before using an arc welder. The process of welding a nut onto the plug has the added benefit of really making the plug very hot which causes it to expand. Once cooled off you might actually find that the plug comes out much easier.

Make sure that you disconnect the alternator (all the wires) before you start welding (and maybe even the earth clamp of the battery for good measure).
+1

If you're going to weld under there, button your collar right up (not funny if splatter or slag gets into your shirt ... ask me ... :D: ) and use long welding gloves if you have. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Thanks guys.

I'll see if I can find a hex socket, then try the welder.

I know all about getting slag into my clothes. Such fun. I'll make a scarf from a cotton rag.
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by ismail »

get an impact socket if you can the points seem to be sharper
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Sometime that nut get loosen the moment you put heat on it.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

When you loosen a metal filler plug in alu, always tap it with a hammer before you put on the socket and try to loosen it. It relieves the stress.

As for now after stuffing it up, my favorite way of doing it is to use a small chissel and hit it on the side of the head, so that you turn it with the chissel.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

The cold chisel story works, especially on bigger diameter bolts and nuts but personally I would avoid too much hammering around the aluminium casing for fear of cracking it. I would still go the welding route, but carefully. Find a big nut that fits over the damaged plug end and weld it on the inside of the nut.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

Got it free eventually.

Tried the 6 point socket (the el-cheapo sockets from Midas are surprisingly durable), didn't work.

Tried with a cold chisel and a hammer to turn it, but that didn't work and I was getting close to damaging the sealing face on the housing.

Welded on an M20 nut, then hammered a slightly smaller Imperial socket onto the nut (something like a 29ish equivalent), and broke it free with a powerbar.

Drained the diff, refilled it, with lovely new oil and then put in the new plug, with lots of copperslip on the threads, to the correct torque.
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by ismail »

happy days, glad you came right.

I surf more than I work
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Mooi man!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:

niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by niclemaitre »

ismail wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:11 am happy days, glad you came right.
Me too, you have no idea, how glad I am. I had visions of having to strip the transfer case, which according to the manual requires pulling the entire transmission.
Happy trails
Nic

IFS '99 DC "Benny"

Return to “The Workshop”