Ford Essex

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
BlindBeggar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 88 Hilux DC/4x4, 77 Jeep CJ7 V8, 2010 Jeep Rubicon Unl, 2011 Rubicon 2dr

Ford Essex

Post by BlindBeggar »

......the engine on the SFA needs replacement (Ford essex 3.0). Has anybody tried this company before...

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-car-replace ... 0196400809

......any other suggestions ??
Third geer
Town: King Williams Town Eastern Cape
Vehicle: Ssangyong Musso 602

Re: Ford Essex

Post by Third geer »

Hi there Blindbeggar how about doing a Toyota 2.7i conversion it is a really good engine.the ford 3.0 Essex is old and parts are not easily available anymore.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yeah, not too sure about the motors from the company on that link. I don't know them nor have I had any experience with them but as Tony said, spares are extremely difficult to get, even from the USA. Here in SA it's only used spares available besides things like after market bearings pistons, rings and gasket sets etc. You cannot get new cranks, cams, cam followers, rockers, heads, water pump, oil pump and (i think) valves.

So where are they getting the spares to re-con the motors? At those prices I very much doubt that there are any spares coming from the USA and that the motors are not properly re-built. I suspect that they are given a lick and promise with reground parts only "where necessary" to use his own words.

I am in a position where I have an SFA with one of those motors that is lacking power with a very noisy valve train. We've tried setting the tappets, but it hasn't helped.It's been that way since I bought the vehicle and I was thinking that if the motor gave in I wouldn't bother with it, but replace it with something else like the 5VZ Toyota 3.4lit V6 (Prado motor).

Now here's where I got into a battle of reason ..... the original motor conversion was done by JT Conversions and the job was done properly without any issues that often arise with such endeavours. The motor had been stripped and 'rebuilt' by the previous owner and is in overall good condition except for the valve train. At the time he was already unable to get a replacement cam, followers and rockers so he sent them off to be re-machined - at not fault of his own, the guys that did the job appear to have not known enough about these older motors and appear to have done a botch job. The followers were hollowed and the cam lobes were convex. So they were ground off flat whereas they apparently should be be slightly hollowed and the lobes slightly convex.

Long story short - for the sake of a bum cam, followers and rockers do I now turf and otherwise good motor and a conversion job that is superb for another motor conversion where I would have to replace the bell, clutch, mountings and modify a whole bunch of other stuff and then sit with a good few months sorting out all the niggles afterwards. Not even the numbers made sense in my case because the motor was otherwise in good nick. Then, although a minor issue but not insignificant, there's the bit about changing the details on the vehicle registration.

This past week I managed to source a cam, followers and rockers that were not too badly worn at a fairly reasonable price. They have been sent to a CT company (not Master Cams), who know these old motors and will re-machine my parts so that I don't have an overly long duration on the valves. It will be slightly warmer than standard but I will still be developing close to max torque just off the idle. They will also be case hardened. Besides the labour factor, the total cost in my case with gasket set included will be less than ½ of one of those re-conned motors in the link above and a mere fraction of another conversion. I might just have the ports polished as well while I have the heads off and may replace the original exhaust manifolds with branches.

But that's my situation, not yours. Depending on what is actually wrong with your motor, instead of trying to repair it, it might be worth your while to consider an upgrade to a more current motor, but it's not going to be a cheap exercise and the down time will be substantial. Alternatively, you can try those guys in your link and you might even be lucky and get a unit from them in a condition that will still give you years of good service. It's your call. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

I beg to differ from Andy - BUT I have not checked on spare part prices in a long time.

Essex motors are/was the cheapest R/kw you can/could get. Maybe shop around first?

You can even stroke it to 4.0L if your pockets are deep enough.

Andy, if you are going the port and polish route, also seriously consider have in intake manifold ported. A clever old guy who understands these motors very well told.me the biggest gains (power and economy) was in the intake manifold and heads. Afair the manifold is VERY restrictive. Also match the hole on the head with thise in the top gasket, especially the water ports.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The cheapest bang for your buck on these motors was certainly true, Thabo. But I think that has now passed due to the non-availability of spares locally and the cost of importing or 'reconditioning'. Pretty good motors in their time and very popular in conversions, but remember that most of them are already close to 40yrs old.

I hear you and agree with the the intake being restrictive and have to wonder how much gain there will actually be from porting the inlet when the SFA's Donaldson filter is equally, if not more, restrictive. Unfortunately we won't be able to get a meaningful comparison on the dyno once we're done because we don't have a credible baseline - like I said, the motor was very low on power. My 22R could run away from it both on acceleration and top end. Will have to wait and see once we're all done.

But ja, getting back to Andre's problem, I outlined my situation because in my case the rest of the motor was good and it made more sense to fix, but I don't know if that is going to be the case with his motor. If he can get it sorted to the point that it's going to last for another good many years without throwing the bank at it, then it may be viable to keep it. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Hi Andre

so while driving through the Daspoort tunnel today saw this place

Fahims used auto spares
084 573 4482
076 145 7170
240 Bremerstr
Hercules

they have a 2001 3.4l Prado with front end smash standing there ,i was interested in the rear axle (diff lock),he is willing to strip .
Ask him what he wants for engine

Martin
Attachments
20180604_191644-2.jpg

Return to “The Workshop”