Alu doors on fibre glass canopy

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Alu doors on fibre glass canopy

Post by Rigger »

I saw someone asking on our local Facebook page if someone can build him aluminium doors for his canopy. So I commented and said I would build it for him. About two months later he came to my workshop and then I started.

I removed the existing side slidding windows and made a template out of a box by drawing a line from the inside. I then drew a line 25mm bigger than that one around it and that is how big the door will be. The 25mm is to accommodate the rubber where the door seals against the canopy. I then had the long line cut by a gelatin and just shaped the round edges with a jig saw.

The door was built out of 3mm chequered aluminium with a frame of 12x18 rectangular tubing and the plate again with the chequering on the inside to have a nice, flat surface to work on. Two pressure locks per side and two aluminium hinges with counter sunk bolts that sit nice and flush.

Some photos of the job. Hope this helps someone in the future looking for something similar.
IMG_2211.jpg
IMG_2218.jpg
IMG_2222.jpg
IMG_2223.jpg
Attachments
IMG_2207.jpg
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Re: Alu doors on fibre glass canopy

Post by Rigger »

Why is my photos not showing?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Martiens. I'm not sure what you did when posting them, but I found them amongst the forum's orphaned files and have re-attached them to you post.

I assume that was all of them?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rigger »

Thanks Mud Dog. I attached it and placed it inline. When I previewed the post, all was fine. Then when I submit it, it disappeared. I keep on struggling with uploading photos on this forum. What am I doing wrong?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Not sure Martiens. The usual problem that guys have is with the resizing but that's not the case here. I'll do a test on attaching pics and see what happens. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Testing - will select some pics, upload as a batch and then place in line.

1st pic in line will be cheetah
Cheetah.jpg
The second in line will be img 0834
IMG_0834.JPG
3rd in line img 0830
IMG_0830.JPG
and last img 6132
IMG_6132.JPG
I am editing to add an extra pic (Sifu2067) after posting ...
Sifu_2067.JPG

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

All appeared as I placed them.

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”