Staun Tire Deflator

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Staun Tire Deflator

Post by WayneSchalk »

Ek het hierdie outjies op auction gekry vir R250

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ek sien hulle gaan vir so by R1000

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
staun-lg.jpg
staun-lg.jpg (44.1 KiB) Viewed 4416 times
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Re: Staun Tire Deflator

Post by Stef »

Lekker kopie daai...ek het R399 betaal by LA Sport :thumbup: Sal moet kyk watter "brand", maar dit lyk op 'n haar dieselfde
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Good price, but rather sell them again for a small profit and get a Badger Deflator from "The Shop". Problems with the Staun system is that you pre-set the pressures and then you have to stick to that unless you reset again and then you need a gauge anyway ... tedious process. Other thing is that you leave them on and they tend to go missing, either lost or swiped.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Mud Dog wrote:Problems with the Staun system is that you pre-set the pressures and then you have to stick to that unless you reset again and then you need a gauge anyway ... tedious process.
;-)
I just set mine to 1.5 Bar, which is OK for most trails. If I need lower then I manually deflate further to where I need to be. Still easier for me than one by one...

but different strokes I guess :mrgreen:
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

I was thinking of setting all 4 at different pressures and marking them ;-)

I got a badger also :thumbup:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:Good price, but rather sell them again for a small profit and get a Badger Deflator from "The Shop". Problems with the Staun system is that you pre-set the pressures and then you have to stick to that unless you reset again and then you need a gauge anyway ... tedious process. Other thing is that you leave them on and they tend to go missing, either lost or swiped.

;-)
Don't agree. I bought mine 5 years ago for R500 and have used them very often. I prefer to use them rather than the ARB type in that, they are preset to 1.5 Bar, so when I arrive at the venue I unscrew the valve caps and screw these units on. Then I go about chatting and greeting everyone, maybe some admin etc all while the tyres deflate to the pressure I want. The only time where I will deflate more than 1.5 is when I do sand driving, but then I have the badger tyre deflater for that.

What is nice about the Stauns is, you hit a gravel road... you stop, screw on these deflators and you drive further. Then a few km's down the road or at your destination you just unscrew and replace valve caps. This way you have a nice and soft ride on gravel roads and are at lesser of a risk of being hijacked etc as the time you spend standing beside the road is very little.
To God be the glory
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

How accurate are they compaired to the Badger deflator??

I have a Bager deflator now but am interested in this too.....
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

MOFASA wrote:How accurate are they compaired to the Badger deflator??

AFAIK they're pretty accurate, but tyre deflation is not an exact science anyway. What Cassie says has some merit, but having got used to the ARB type unit, I deflate all four to desired pressure in no time at all, so time is not an issue in my mind. Maybe Stef said it best ... Different strokes ..... ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

In any which way, I don't like passing up a bargain, and its fun whipping out all the gadgets. Especially when taking someone new out on an off-road track. Their expression is always fun to watch :o: :o: :o: :o:

:lol:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

They are very accurate, but only if you buy the proper stuff. There are some know offs which does not perform well.

The only thing to keep in mind is when you set up these units the tyre you are using is most probably cold. When out on the trail, you probably deflating a hot tyre so in essence you will be deflating it a bit more than set up.
To God be the glory
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

CasKru wrote:

They are very accurate, but only if you buy the proper stuff. There are some know offs which does not perform well.

The only thing to keep in mind is when you set up these units the tyre you are using is most probably cold. When out on the trail, you probably deflating a hot tyre so in essence you will be deflating it a bit more than set up.

How long does the set up take....
Can it be done on Hot tyres or will the tyres get cold before the set up is completed?
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

The proses is more or less this. You take you spare wheel or one of the wheels on your vehicle. You inflate it to 1.6 bar for instance. You now screw on one of these units and adjust it's adjusting valve so it starts deflating the tyre. It should be close to the 1.5bar mark now so it's just a bit of fine tuning. You keep going till you measure exactly 1.5 bar when the valve closes by it self. Then you lock the setting in with a lock nut. You repeat this for the remaining 3 valves.

30min to 60 setup time. This is a once off. At the venue, you walk around your bakkie, unscrew the valve cap, screw in one of these units at each wheel. You can then do something else and when they all stopped blowing, you just walk around the bakkie again, remove these valves and replace the valve caps. All in all it takes you about 2 minutes handling of these units to deflate all 4 tyres
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

To God be the glory
Quegaa
Town: Santa Clara
Vehicle: Wrangler

Post by Quegaa »

I sorry for bump an old topic I just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future.
Some of the additional advantages of the Staun Tyre Deflators:
1. Fastest tire deflators on the market.
2. Easy to use, no tools required.
3. Extremely accurate; within .o5 psi of set pressure.
4. Can air down all four tires unattended, simultaneously.
5. Can drive a vehicle while tires are deflating.
I bought mine 5 years ago for R500 and have used them very often. I prefer to use them rather than the ARB type https://mechanicguides.com/best-tire-deflators/ in that, they are preset to 1.5 Bar, so when I arrive at the venue I unscrew the valve caps and screw these units on. Then I go about chatting and greeting everyone, maybe some admin etc all while the tires deflate to the pressure I want. The only time where I will deflate more than 1.5 is when I do sand driving, but then I have the badger tire deflator for that.

What is nice about the Stauns is, you hit a gravel road... you stop, screw on these deflators and you drive further. Then a few km's down the road or at your destination you just unscrew and replace valve caps. This way you have a nice and soft ride on gravel roads and are at lesser of a risk of being hijacked etc as the time you spend standing beside the road is very little.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Good price on the Staun type units. :thumbup:

Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Mud Dog wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:20 pm Good price on the Staun type units. :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
sakkie4x4
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Tzaneen
Vehicle: 2011 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D Raider 4x4 MT
Club VHF Licence: HC343

Post by sakkie4x4 »

I'm also in the market for tyre deflator set. Here in Limpopo I can't locate anything and cant find it in the shop. I will be coming to PTA this weekend where can I find them on a Sunday?
Matt. 21:28-30.
"Kom na My toe, almal wat vermoeid en belas is, en Ek sal julle rus gee. Neem My juk op julle en leer van My, want Ek is sagmoedig en nederig van hart, en julle sal rus vind vir julle siele: want My juk is sag en My las is lig".

"Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart' and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light"
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hallo Sakkie. Bel vir Robbie by 4x4 direct en hoor of hy jou kan help. Sy winkel is in Montana langs die N1 hoofweg. So op jou pad van die noorde.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
sakkie4x4
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by sakkie4x4 »

Dankie vir die info Koos. Het reggekom by Robbie
"Kom na My toe, almal wat vermoeid en belas is, en Ek sal julle rus gee. Neem My juk op julle en leer van My, want Ek is sagmoedig en nederig van hart, en julle sal rus vind vir julle siele: want My juk is sag en My las is lig".

"Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart' and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light"
Dowe Koos
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

:thumbup:
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Post by Bliksempie »

Sakkie, Jou stel deflators lê nog hier. Jy kan my altyd Sondag ook bel as jy hier verby gaan. Ek bly 3km vanaf die winkel en sal jou iewers ontmoet ook?
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

sakkie4x4
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by sakkie4x4 »

Dankie. ek het my broer gevra om dit Vrydag middag of Saterdag oggend by jou te kry.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”