Wild coast (Transkei) trip planning

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Potifar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kleinmond
Vehicle: VW Amarok TDi 4motion (WitWolf) Auto 2018 VW Tiguan Allspace

Wild coast (Transkei) trip planning

Post by Potifar »

Hi Manne, I know its early days, but I enjoy planning ahead. Our next Transkei trip is next year July 2019, and I want to do a different route than previous years.

Every second year we stay at a place called Sinangwana Fourie Holiday homes, owned by Oom Kiewiet en Elna Fourie, family of Swambo. (Its next to a place called The Kraal if you want to have a look on Google maps). Its heaven on earth, especially with small children and if you love fishing, hiking etc.

In the past, we took the N2 through Mtata, and from there the R61, there after a gravel road. I really don't like the N2 and R61, especially wit all the ATM machines (speed traps / cameras) with officers trying to bribe you.
My plan is to start at Morgan Bay, take the pond at Keimouth to Trennery, and drive up the coast, past Coffee Bay etc.

Any advice which roads to avoid, where to stay over and if it is madness or a cool trip to take. Looking forward to hear your opinions.
As ons werk, dan werk ons hard. As ons speel, dan speel ons hard. As ons braai, dan speel ons nie!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: Wild coast (Transkei) trip planning

Post by Haboob »

Not madness, but do you want to camp or self catering? You do not give much information, so difficult to help you.
Do you have two or three weeks to do this or just two or three days. Are you kitted and self sufficient or do you need amenities?
There is a lot of accommodation options around Kei Mouth (Kei Mouth Camp: Yellow Woods Camp & Morgans Bay Camp (at the Hotel) in Morgans Bay area: Double Mouth Camp south of Morgans Bay and two places at Wavecrest over the Kei River a few km after the Pont.
Then there are options at Mazeppa Bay then up to Dwesa.
Have read some bad reports about "The Haven" on the Community Forum, so not recommended there.
Coffee Bay area also has some reasonable accommodation (white Clay can be very windy and a community camp in Coffee Bay)...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

My trip to Trennery’s. The seafood Buffet was the best!

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201811 ... 134d64.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201811 ... eab6e7.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201811 ... 266a20.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone
Potifar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kleinmond
Vehicle: VW Amarok TDi 4motion (WitWolf) Auto 2018 VW Tiguan Allspace

Post by Potifar »

We will be staying at Morgans Bay for a week, there after we head out towards the wild coast. Self catering homes or chalets will be the best bet with our two little children.
My main question is if there is a road alongside the coast from Trennery up to Sinangwana, or Port st Johns? What is the conditions of the roads and if there is a nice halfway self catering chalets? The conditions of the roads will determine our time we will spend driving and staying over at places.
My youngest will be 1 and a half at the time, and boeta 3 and a half, so longer than 5 hours on the road is rof.
As ons werk, dan werk ons hard. As ons speel, dan speel ons hard. As ons braai, dan speel ons nie!
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Gerhard you will have to meander back inland to be able to travel up the coast.For example from Trennerys you will go inland for about 30km to Kentani.From there there are various interlinking roads to the various resorts and towns as you move up the coast but I suggest you get a very good map of the region.
I have travelled up to Port St Johns using back roads a few years ago .The road conditions tend to change from time to time,depending on the season and also the will of the powers that be to maintain them.

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”