1979 4x4 Pickup LSVP quizzer...

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
TikiTim
Town: San Antonio
Vehicle: 1979 3rd Gen N30 Pickup (Hilux) 4x4 "Deluxe"20R RN37

1979 4x4 Pickup LSVP quizzer...

Post by TikiTim »

My L/H drive US '79 4x4 Pickup has a "one-in, one-out" LSVP and has NO bleed valve/nipple. Only a decent sized hex on top which, if I undo it, I'm pretty sure will shoot the valve rod and a bunch of springs into the air...! SO the quiz is, Does this need bleeding (in the regular order R/L, R/R, F/R, F/L, LSVP ? Is so how? If not, and I'm bleeding the four wheel cylinders should the springs/axle (and LSPV) be under normal conditions, or is it ok to do it on a lift with the springs/axle hanging way down? The LSVP seems to be working just fine, so I don't want to replace the LSVP, but my brakes are a little spongy so I'm trying to figure how to get them back to normal.

Thanks (Newbie to this Forum)

Tb
Likkedis
Town: Lydenburg
Vehicle: Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC350

Re: 1979 4x4 Pickup LSVP quizzer...

Post by Likkedis »

Hi Tb,

Did you 'consult' YouTube? I'm no mechanic, but it helped me before....
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Tim and welcome! :thumbup:

If there is no bleed nipple on the LSPV then just bleed as normal (starting with the closest wheel to the master cylinder and moving incrementally to the furthest), but I would do it with weight on the axle so as to open the valve a bit .... with the vehicle on a hoist and the axle hanging the valve will be closing up and restricting the flow, unless the hoist is the type that you drive onto with the vehicle still resting on it's wheels when hoisted.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and the absorption of moisture affects the hydraulic properties negatively, resulting in spongy brakes. The rate of moisture absorption depends on the climatic conditions as well as regularity of usage but it's usually recommended to replace the fluid annually. Bleed each wheel until you see the new fluid coming through (lighter in colour).

If this doesn't solve the problem (it usually does), then it might be time to look at servicing or replacing the master cylinder.

Good luck. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
TikiTim

Post by TikiTim »

Likkedis wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:48 pm Hi Tb,

Did you 'consult' YouTube? I'm no mechanic, but it helped me before....
I been all over the inter web thingy - came up empty!
TikiTim

Post by TikiTim »

Mud Dog wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:43 am Hi Tim and welcome! :thumbup:

If there is no bleed nipple on the LSPV then just bleed as normal (starting with the closest wheel to the master cylinder and moving incrementally to the furthest), but I would do it with weight on the axle so as to open the valve a bit .... with the vehicle on a hoist and the axle hanging the valve will be closing up and restricting the flow, unless the hoist is the type that you drive onto with the vehicle still resting on it's wheels when hoisted.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and the absorption of moisture affects the hydraulic properties negatively, resulting in spongy brakes. The rate of moisture absorption depends on the climatic conditions as well as regularity of usage but it's usually recommended to replace the fluid annually. Bleed each wheel until you see the new fluid coming through (lighter in colour).

If this doesn't solve the problem (it usually does), then it might be time to look at servicing or replacing the master cylinder.

Good luck. :winkx:

Thanks Mud Dog - you say “nearest to furthest,” I’ve always done furthest to nearest...? Following advice from other Yota Heads... I wonder what the wisdom is for each method?

T
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

You know, I'm sure that will work just as well, just that your first bleed will be long and the others thereafter short.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
TikiTim

Post by TikiTim »

Thanks. Ended up bypassing LSVP, and removing the rod and mounts. The brakes work great!
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

Tim post a pic of your ride please, keen to see the variation in older models from your side of the world to ours:)

Return to “The Workshop”