2.8 Hilux DC 2017 long range tank

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
RonS
Town: Bryanston
Vehicle: Hilux DC 4x4 2.8

2.8 Hilux DC 2017 long range tank

Post by RonS »

I want to fit a LR tank to my 2017 Hilux DC 4x4 and see there are basically two options available:
1. 65 L tank,
2. 80L tank.
Is the 80 L tank OK for the standard suspension or will it be safer to install the 65L tank?
I dont want to do any suspension mods or upgrades.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks, Ron
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 2.8 Hilux DC 2017 long range tank

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Ron and welcome. :thumbup:

There shouldn't be too much impact on the suspension but then again it depends on what other extras there are being carried along with you. I assume that you want to fit this for overlanding, and typically in such a case guys will have fitted drawer systems, water tanks RTT's or roof racks and all the other little bits and bobs required for camping .... and often a lot of unnecessary stuff. So you have to be careful in respect of your overall weight.

Either way, I would fit the bigger capacity tank ..... you don't always need to fill it, but if the need is there it's available. Also the fuel weight decreases as you travel any way. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
RonS

Post by RonS »

Thank you Mud Dog.
I dont have drawer system or RTT. I do have a few boxes of food and camping gear, fridge, 40L water, toolbox (30kg) and ground tent , say total in the load bay=300kg.
Then about 60 to 80 kg at the passenger area of the DC. (Seats up)
The full 80L extra tank is 120kg
That gives a total of 500kg excluding the driver and 1 passenger= 140 kg
Total load 640 kg. Will this be OK off road in Bots/Zambia with the std suspension?? Not sure how ramp angle will be affected?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm pretty sure it will be OK for general overlanding purposes as long as you're not going to be taking on any serious obstacles. The break-over angle is always affected with any kind of load, the moment the suspension is suppressed, even slightly, that angle is affected.

If you're really worried about it you could raise the suspension slightly, but I'm not sure that the cost would be warranted. Maybe have a chat with Darryl at Mikem Suspensions up your way and get his opinion .... he's a decent fellow and won't make unnecessary suggestions purely for the sake of making a sale.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
RonS

Post by RonS »

Thanks again Mud Dog

Return to “The Workshop”