KZTE Engine not switching off

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Daanbaard
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4x2

KZTE Engine not switching off

Post by Daanbaard »

Another funny problem :frustrated: :beg:
After Lockdown my battery was quite low so I had to jumper
After driving for an hour, when I stopped the engine will not shut off with the ignition key
All pannel lights goes out but engine keeps running
I have to stall it in gear to stop the engine :surrender:
Checked all electrical connections on dieselpump
Have no idea what else :beg:
Daanbaard

Re: KZTE Engine not switching off

Post by Daanbaard »

Hi Everyone

Just to follow up on my problem
No matter what I did, the only way to stop the engine was to "stall" it in gear, while applying the brakes
Then I found out that if I pull a battery terminal it stops. Next I pulled the plug on the Fuel cutoff selonoide and that would cut the engine as well
So I figured that if the selonoide was sticking it would still keep on running, and if the selonoide was not working, I should not be able to start the engine.
So whatever is supplying power to the selonoide after I switch the ignition off and pull the key out, must be the culprit.
Does this make sense ?

However, after anothet couple af days struggling to find the fault it disapeared all by itself and everything works 100%
This is very, very frustrating, for now I have no idea what it was or when it will reappear again
I guess I should rather be thankfull

Anyway, Thanks to everyone who wanted to help.

Regards
Daanbaard
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Danie. Yes it makes sense. As you know, a diesel doesn't require any electrical input at the motor to keep running - as long as there is fuel being injected it will carry on.

If the fuel cut-off solenoid was sticking in the open position, then you would be able to start as normal, but not switch off. But if that was the case, then the motor would have still kept running after you disconnected the power at the battery or the solenoid. Therefore its not the solenoid itself at fault, but whatever switch supplies current to it. This could be a relay or maybe even the ignition switch itself.

I don't know whether there is a relay for the solenoid on the KZTE, but it's very likely, because if everything ran directly through the ignition switch you would have to have a robust ignition switch with massive contacts. Relays spread the load.

My guess is that the relay was sticking. This can happen quite easily when the contacts inside fuse together as they arc on contact and such an arc fusing is normally a very weak bond .... maybe it was just strong enough to stay bonded against the tension of the return spring and then weakened with time and vibration to separate again so that it's working normally.

I would still investigate if the fuel cut-off solenoid is controlled by a relay, where that relay is and then replace it. Chances are good that it will have a problem again .... maybe it will do the same thing or even burn the contacts further so that the contact is too poor to activate the fuel solenoid, then it won't start.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Danie het jy al vir Benja by Mortimer in Vredenburg gevra, hy het baie kennis van Hiluxe.
Soos Andy sê, diesel het nie krag nodig om te loop. In die ou dae het jy 'n diesel doodgemaak met 'n kabel wat jy getrek het wat die brandstof op die pomp afgesny het, vandag doen 'n solonoid daai werk. Ek dink ook daai solonoid werk nie altyd nie en maak nie die diesel toe nie. Kan dalk net 'n los draadtjie wees of plug wat nie meer lekker kontak maak nie.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The fuel solenoid will only open when current is supplied to it. Similarly the relay that probably controls it will be in the "normally open' configuration, i.e. it will require current to close the circuit supplying power to the solenoid. So I doubt that it will be a loose connection and betting that it will be a sticking relay. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Daanbaard

Post by Daanbaard »

Dankie Manne
Ek wardeer julle raad en insette
Vir nou loop "Alles reg altyd Reg"................!

Return to “The Workshop”