rear breaks

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Tonyhilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: dublin
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0

rear breaks

Post by Tonyhilux »

Hi all.
Just looking for some help here, i have a 2006 Vigo Hilux , 3.0Ltr.

It has always had problems passing MOT due to handbreak, but failed this time due to handbreak and pedal break. when we jacked it up we found to be basically no rear breaks, so replace Master Cylinder, Break cylinders on the rear, Rear break pads, and new drums, and adjusted the break to the hand break would engage .Checked out the proportion loading valve and bled it out Bled out the system and still, as bad as ever, would anyone have any clue what in the blue blazes is going on..?

Thanks

Tony
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: rear breaks

Post by pietpetoors »

New shoes and new drums was supposed to fix it.
What happens when you tie the proportion valve up so the vehicle think that it is fully loaded. When fully loaded it will brake more at the rear.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Tonyhilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Tonyhilux »

i would of thought so too, tried that, had the vavled tied up, while the jeep was up on the jacks, and tried breaks, really didnt have much of an impact , pretty much the same
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Did you double and tripple check bleeding
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I found with new master sometimes an airlock in master. Dont pump wildly like most peoole do, press peddle slowly in, keep it there for 2 or 3 seconds, then release. On one of my vehicles that solved the problem
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Also check that the assembly of the mechanism in the drum is correct that all the levers / springs / lugs are where they should be (after the slave cylinder replacement). Sometimes the shoes can be installed wrong side up.

Here it helps to have a manual or a schematic of what it should look like. Google images can help you there.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tonyhilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Tonyhilux »

Bled it out twice . Yes the drums are correct .

Return to “The Workshop”