I bought a 1992 2.4D 4x2

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
2L Hilux
Town: Harare
Vehicle: 2.4D Hilux

I bought a 1992 2.4D 4x2

Post by 2L Hilux »

Good Day Members,

I recently bought a 1992 2.4D 4x2 Raider with a 2L motor. It has done more than 380000Km and is not in the best condition mechanically. The engine has some blowby and shows signs of several oil leaks around the gaskets. There is also evidence of oil breathing from the diff around the gasket seal. Furthermore, I would imagine several more worn-out parts are not apparent without stripping the car. The interior is ok for its age but torn on the bench seat. However, the body and Chassis are in pretty good shape, with very little rust if any and nice straight panels.

Some of my family members think I am crazy to buy such an old vehicle which has been well used over the years. However, I would like to restore and rebuild parts of the vehicle (including the engine) and use it as a run around for my little farming project. My question to the group is do you think after putting some work into this old vehicle it will be able to serve me well? To those who have experience with this model Hilux, what work would you recommend I do as an absolute priority to restore reliability?

Thank you in advance to all who are able to share their knowledge.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Re: I bought a 1992 2.4D 4x2

Post by niclemaitre »

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum. It's rare to find one with the body in good condition but mechanically they are very robust.

It all depends on how much budget you have. It sounds like the head gasket on the engine may have gone, so that would be the first thing to do. While the engine is open, you may want to replace the rings, valve lifters, maybe valve seats, and the glow plugs. Pretty much everything should be available from Toyota.

The rear diff seal will require pulling the axles out so that you can get the third member loose. The gasket can just be replaced or use a good quality gasket maker (Loctite).

If you have power steering, the pump and box will be sweating fluid by now. Rebuild kits can be purchased from Terrain Tamer, but you can also just intermittently top up the fluid.

I've always had the 4x4 versions with leaf springs front and back, never that generation 4x2 with the IFS and wishbones, but I'd have a look at ball joints and the control arm bushings too.

Take some time, they are generally very easy to work on and not very expensive to maintain, and it will serve you well for years to come.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
2L Hilux
Town: Harare
Vehicle: 2.4D Hilux

Re: I bought a 1992 2.4D 4x2

Post by 2L Hilux »

Good morning,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I enjoyed reading your reply and value the knowledge you have shared.

I would have preferred to purchase the SFA type. However, I am north of Limpopo, and the SFAs are rare here. Nonetheless, I am happy with the 4x2 and am looking forward to doing as much work on it on my own as possible.

I have taken notes on the things to do that you have suggested and will be sure to keep the group updated on progress.

Thank you once again.

Cheers for now.

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”