Lifting SFA Hilux

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Vicy Boosted
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux SFA

Lifting SFA Hilux

Post by Vicy Boosted »

Good Morning all

I am new to the group and Looking forward to meet you all

I Bought a Hilux SFA 1987 Model around 2 Months ago, fitted nice big wheels 285/75/60 and she is looking like a Beauty
But... I Would like to increase the high more, To be honest a 300mm Increase would make me happy
I am really a DIY guy, prefer building my owns things, there is a lot that I have got up my sleave that I would like
to do, but I want to start at 1 point and move to another

So my million dollar Question is, how would I go About to get the 300mm Lift that I am Looking for ??
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Re: Lifting SFA Hilux

Post by niclemaitre »

It's going to change a lot of things.

Drive shafts will be longer and the angle into the front and rear diffs will become problematic.
Steering linkages will have to change, maybe go to crossover steering.
Longer brake lines which may affect brake balance (and often you can't get new lines that match the factory mounts)
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

A 300mm lift is excessive and impractical besides the unnecessary problems and expense that you're going to encounter. A 90mm / 100mm lift doesn't require any further modification except maybe longer flexible brake lines in front, and is more than adequate, trust me ... unless you're looking for a show piece that you're not going to drive. An excessive lift is going to handle like a pig on the open road and become a total nightmare in the rough. In addition to a lift your bigger wheels have already given you about 20mm extra ride height ... raise the COG too far and you're looking for trouble.

That's just my advice, take it or leave it. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Mud Dog wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:59 am A 300mm lift is excessive and impractical besides the unnecessary problems and expense that you're going to encounter. A 90mm / 100mm lift doesn't require any further modification except maybe longer flexible brake lines in front, and is more than adequate, trust me ... unless you're looking for a show piece that you're not going to drive. An excessive lift is going to handle like a pig on the open road and become a total nightmare in the rough. In addition to a lift your bigger wheels have already given you about 20mm extra ride height ... raise the COG too far and you're looking for trouble.

That's just my advice, take it or leave it. :winkx:
This!!!

And the higher you lift the car, the worse the fuel consumption will be.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”