KZ-TE calipers for SFA

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Byenes
Town: Plettenberg bay
Vehicle: 2.2 4y

KZ-TE calipers for SFA

Post by Byenes »

Good day,
I have a 93 Hilux Sfa and are planning to upgrade the front brakes. I have seen on this forum about KZ calipers for a Sfa and that it is a straight bolt on.
I know this question might be a silly one but when you guys talk about the KZ calipers, must they be of the 4x4 KZ-TE?
And if so, are there any of you gentleman that might have a pair for me to purchase please?
Thank you in advance.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: KZ-TE calipers for SFA

Post by Family_Dog »

I cannot answer your query but I fitted Power Brakes (Disks & pads) to my SFA some years back and the difference was HUGE, well worth the outlay. Not sure if the PB option is still available but if so it would definitely be worth your while to consider it.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Brake Upgrade.docx
(10.56 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
75 Cruiser Discs KZTE Calipers 2.jpg
75 Cruiser Discs KZTE Calipers 2.jpg (35.22 KiB) Viewed 345 times
75 Cruiser Discs KZTE Calipers 1.jpg
75 Cruiser Discs KZTE Calipers 1.jpg (37.47 KiB) Viewed 345 times
Hi Marius. i too have been contemplating this for a long time now. This is what I have found on various posts on this forum
Byenes

Post by Byenes »

Good morning,
Thank you both for taking the time in trying to assist. I will contact Power brakes and find out if they still stock it?
I also found that post now of the photos you have posted Peter and I see it’s been done by “the legend” will try to make contact with him.
Byenes

Post by Byenes »

Family_Dog wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:11 pm I cannot answer your query but I fitted Power Brakes (Disks & pads) to my SFA some years back and the difference was HUGE, well worth the outlay. Not sure if the PB option is still available but if so it would definitely be worth your while to consider it.

-F_D
Hi Eric,
I did contact power brakes and spoke to Steve. He reckons the disks have been discontinued, only pads still available. But thank you for the info in any case.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Pity about that, but the model is some 30+ years old. The braking power is phenomenal.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Byenes wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:30 pm Good day,
I have a 93 Hilux Sfa and are planning to upgrade the front brakes. I have seen on this forum about KZ calipers for a Sfa and that it is a straight bolt on.
I know this question might be a silly one but when you guys talk about the KZ calipers, must they be of the 4x4 KZ-TE?
And if so, are there any of you gentleman that might have a pair for me to purchase please?
Thank you in advance.
Are there different part numbers for the 4x4 calipers vs the 4x2s? The disks themselves are identical (or at least when I replaced mine, they never asked 4x4 vs 4x2).
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Byenes

Post by Byenes »

Morning Nic,
I did speak to the agents and they reckon it is exactly the same part no. So this is where I am now a bit curved balled!
The guy who is helping me with the build had a 4x2 KZ in his workshop and measured the distance between the mounting holes and they were further apart than the ones on my sfa.
Not sure if my Hilux is a special hilux?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

You must use the Cruiser 75 ventilated discs with KZ-TE calipers, then it's a straight bolt-on. If you can, then also replace the booster / master cylinder with bigger KZ unit .... reason being that the KZ calipers have a bigger displacement and the standard master is just a little inadequate. Not a train smash though if you use the standard one, just much better braking with the bigger one.

I did this upgrade on my white "crawler" (not featured in my signature pics) which runs bigger 33" tyres and I can lock those front wheels with ease when braking on tar, even with the 33's having more leverage against the brakes. The KZ booster is not a straight fit ... the holes don't line up completely. I don't exactly recall any more, but I think we had to drill one or two new bolt holes in the firewall.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Byenes

Post by Byenes »

Hi Mud Dog,
Thank you for your reply and input!
My problem that I have, is that the KZ caliper mounting holes do not line up with those on my Hilux?
There are apparently three different size brake pads for the KZ calipers, so that is what is so confusing. Because logically speaking, longer brake pads should accommodate longer calipers, or I am wrong in my thinking?
And the agents reckon it is the same part no for the 4x2 and 4x4 calipers. So how can there be 3 different sizes for one caliper?
Unless there is something I am missing here, as I am very much not even a backyard mechanic. 🤪
Ps, nice wheels you’ve got there!
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Howzit Marais (sorry called you Marius earlier), I would really like to take a look at what you're doing there. I am also in Plett, so if you don't mind, post or PM me your number and we can get in touch
Byenes

Post by Byenes »

Hi Peter,
Not a problem, been called worst names before. How do I PM you. Sorry not familiar with forums and stuff?
Byenes

Post by Byenes »

Mud Dog wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:59 am You must use the Cruiser 75 ventilated discs with KZ-TE calipers, then it's a straight bolt-on. If you can, then also replace the booster / master cylinder with bigger KZ unit .... reason being that the KZ calipers have a bigger displacement and the standard master is just a little inadequate. Not a train smash though if you use the standard one, just much better braking with the bigger one.

I did this upgrade on my white "crawler" (not featured in my signature pics) which runs bigger 33" tyres and I can lock those front wheels with ease when braking on tar, even with the 33's having more leverage against the brakes. The KZ booster is not a straight fit ... the holes don't line up completely. I don't exactly recall any more, but I think we had to drill one or two new bolt holes in the firewall.
Hi Andy,

I have to confess! Seems like we got the measurements wrong and it looks indeed like the kz calipers will be a straight bolt on!
Thank you for your help.
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Click on the 3 dots in the cloud next to my forum name. You'll see mail or PM

Return to “The Workshop”