Jacaranda Wreck

Planning a trip or you need information about trails in your area.
Jober
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 1999 2.7l d/cab

Jacaranda Wreck

Post by Jober »

Good day.

We will be in the Kei Mouth area over new year and has been told that the drive to the wreck of the Jacaranda is quite good. We have been warned not to attempt it as not even a landrover can reach it. For me all this means is that the landy owners can't risk being that far away from a work shop or that there is no tow trucks in the area.

Luckely I drive a 1999 Hilux but sheepishly have to ask directions as I don't know the area. So If there is anyone who has been there and can give advice (GPS coordinates if possible) I would appreciate it. I promise to bring back photo's.

PS. My Father and Brother in law will drive a prado and Mitshibishi IO so there should be a good test of the 2,7's towing abilities.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Jacaranda Wreck

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Juan,
Luckely I drive a 1999 Hilux but sheepishly have to ask directions as I don't know the area. So If there is anyone who has been there and can give advice (GPS coordinates if possible) I would appreciate it. I promise to bring back photo's.

PS. My Father and Brother in law will drive a prado and Mitshibishi IO so there should be a good test of the 2,7's towing abilities.
I just love the confidence you're brimming so full of - but you're right, of course! :mrgreen:

Don't know where this is either, but I am most certainly looking forward to your photos. Good luck, and I hope you have an enjoyable and memorable trip.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Hi Juan, welcome to the forum and I like your comments. Enjoy it here. Visited Kei Mouth some 9 years ago and what a nice place. Have fun.
iHilux
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW

Post by iHilux »

Jober wrote:Good day.

We will be in the Kei Mouth area over new year and has been told that the drive to the wreck of the Jacaranda is quite good. We have been warned not to attempt it as not even a landrover can reach it. For me all this means is that the landy owners can't risk being that far away from a work shop or that there is no tow trucks in the area.

Jacaranda - S32 37.156 E28 28.157
The Gates - S32 37.413 E28 25.139
Seagulls Hotel - S32 38.438 E28 25.606
View Point - S32 40.264 E28 23.206
Ferry - S32 40.478 E28 22.606

Have fun. It's a lovely drive with heaps of play areas. There will be a R5 per person "enterance fee" payable to the locals, and one will probably "ride/run" along as a "guide". Go the oppisite way to which they tell you, and you're bound to have some fun.

Shout if you need anymore info.
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW
Jober
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 1999 2.7l d/cab

Post by Jober »

Thank iHilux.

If I may ask how is the trail. Brother in law a bit worried about scratching his IO
Andries
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Dordrecht
Vehicle: '94 2.2 4Y Hilux S/C, '87 2.2 4Y Hilux D/C

Post by Andries »

Ek en my vrou was bietjie meer as 9 jaar gelede Seagulls toe vir ons wittebrood. Het in die omgewing rond gery waar dit moontlik was, want het toe nog nie 'n Hilux gehad nie maar wel vir "Speenvarkie"('91 Nissan 1400), het nog steeds vir "Speenvarkie". Het na die wrak van die Jacaranda toe geloop al met die strand langs, was 6.5km van Seagulls Hotel na wrak. Die storie van die Jacaranda is dat die Kaptein een aand te dronk was om skip te stuur en het toe 16-jarige bemanningslid agter die stuur gesit en toe beland hulle op die rotse.
Hier is 'n paar foto's wat ons destyds geneem het van die skip, Seagulls Hotel en die Ferry wat ons geneem het om oor die Keirivier te kom tot in Kei Mond. Gaan defnitief weer soontoe in die nabye toekoms maar die keer met my Hilux.

iHilux
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW

Post by iHilux »

Jober wrote:Thank iHilux.

If I may ask how is the trail. Brother in law a bit worried about scratching his IO
There is no trail....... well none to spesk of that is..... just a few tracks, and quite a few at that, leading off in all directions. The IO should do fine, hundreds visit this area, so there will always be an "alternative" track.

Enjoy.
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW
Mudder

Post by Mudder »

Interresant om die fotos van die Jacaranda te sien. Ek was 'n week terug daar. Verstommend hoe hy opgebreek het in 10 jaar. Slegs die boeg is oor. Fotos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hennie_rau ... 996018355/

Return to “Places to go”