Alternative Fuels

Here we discuss various alternative energy solutions. From converting your car to electricity to converting your home to be off the grid.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Alternative Fuels

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

:?: Yes there are other fuels that a person can use in their vehicle, but it boils down to the cost factor to make these fuels friendly to be used in your vehicle.

I have a friend in East London, he drives a Toyota Hilux which he fitted a 5L diesel engine into it, Gary makes his own diesel, he goes around to all or most of the Fish & Chip shops, buys their old oil which is already in 25 liter cans and takes it home, he then uses some substance, cannot remember the name correctly, but it seperates the oil, he then takes off the one part and then mixes something else with it and this make his new "diesel fuel" he says that it works out to about R2.50 a liter, he then has a by-product from this oil which makes excellent hand cleaner, he then fills up plastic tubs of this cream and his son uses it in his workshop as hand cleaner, it sure works very well.

But when driving behind his vehicle off-road it smells like you are approaching a Fisk & Chips shop :wink:

Another fuel that can be used in a vehicle LP Gas, a conversion has to be done to your engine for this to work, I have been told by Afrox that there is even a conversion for Diesel engines, but not sure if this is true.
I say if it was so good, why are there not more vehicle's using this method of fuel.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: Alternative Fuels

Post by BenHur »

SYRON CONVERSIONS wrote: Another fuel that can be used in a vehicle LP Gas, a conversion has to be done to your engine for this to work, I have been told by Afrox that there is even a conversion for Diesel engines, but not sure if this is true.
I say if it was so good, why are there not more vehicle's using this method of fuel.
Because it is too much of a schlep to fill up LP gas.
Hiluxcrazy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Simonstown
Vehicle: Hilux 2.2 EFI

Post by Hiluxcrazy »

Maybe someone here can advise me--

I recently did a trip in to Malawi via mozambique. I found only unleaded petrol at most filling stations and so was forced to put this into my 2.2 hilux. Being a 1989 model, it`s supposed to run on leaded or LRP or whatever they call it. so my question is--will filling up with unleaded do damage to a 4y engine (burning valve seats ect) or is it ok? how can I go about getting a conversion to run it on unleaded and is it effective (will performance be affected ect).

Regards

Lourens
HILUXCRAZY
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

It shouldn't do any harm, but your performance and fuel consumption might fall back a little. I seem to recall someone once mentioning that you could throw a little oil (100-200ml ?) in every second time you fill up, but you would need to confirm this. It might be necessary to reset your timing as well.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Hiluxcrazy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Simonstown
Vehicle: Hilux 2.2 EFI

Post by Hiluxcrazy »

Well the oil theory sounds feasable since the lead in old 97petrol (or super) used to lubricate valve seats.(so i`ve heard)...but then to convert to unleaded surely its not enough just to change timing? Is your Hilux still running on lead replacement now?
HILUXCRAZY
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

My 3y & 4Y are running on LRP and the 2.7 runs on Unleaded.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

I have a friend in East London, he drives a Toyota Hilux which he fitted a 5L diesel engine into it, Gary makes his own diesel, he goes around to all or most of the Fish & Chip shops, buys their old oil which is already in 25 liter cans and takes it home, he then uses some substance, cannot remember the name correctly, but it seperates the oil, he then takes off the one part and then mixes something else with it and this make his new "diesel fuel" he says that it works out to about R2.50 a liter, he then has a by-product from this oil which makes excellent hand cleaner, he then fills up plastic tubs of this cream and his son uses it in his workshop as hand cleaner, it sure works very well.
I have started investigating this whole bio-diesel thing.
It is made from waste vegetable oil (WVO). For 100 parts WVO you add 22 parts methanol. There is also other additives to purify or something. Apparently it is not that difficult.
The waste produced is glycerol or glycerine, which is a very good cleaning and degreasing agent.
Depending on what you pay for oil and methanol, it can work out as low as R1.15 per litre bio-diesel up to R2.50.
Now I say even R3 to R4 will be a bargain, seeing that crude oil is only moving one way, and that is UP :!:

I've also learnt that bio-diesel has very good engine cleaning capabilities. People that start running bio-diesel, has to change a few fuel filters in the beginning, as it cleans out the tank and fuel lines. Some put in an extra in-line filter to visualy monitor the fuel state.
So far I've come accross two negatives:
1. It has cold starting issues, because bio-diesel assumes a gel form when cold. But it can be overcome by adding 10% to 20% petro-diesel to the mix.
2. Bio-diesel seems to cause an approximate loss of 8% power, and also has anegative impact on fuel consumption.
But hey, at R2 a litre I won't mind a slight drop in consumption

According to SARS you can even sell your excess bio-diesel if you produce less than 300 000l per annum. (non-commercial producer)
But I have to study the legislation behind it more intensively.

The most expensive part of setting up will obviously be the equipment.
As I am not that technical, I would rather buy most of the equipment.
I haven't done all the maths yet, but it looks like I will be paying for the equipment within 12 to 18 months with the savings from not buying petro-diesel.( If I can visit the guys in the Cape every now and then it'll be even less time :mrgreen: )

Oh, and I'll be doing my bit to save our planet :)

But I still have to investigate deeper, and also speak to a few guys that is doing it already.

Will keep you updated, if you're interested :?: :lol:
ImageImage
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Riaan dit sal geef wees om bietjie meer uit te vind.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Riaan

Wat van ons petrol oukies. Jy kan mos vir ons etanol van mielies ook maak :wink:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

benhur wrote:Riaan

Wat van ons petrol oukies. Jy kan mos vir ons etanol van mielies ook maak :wink:
The added advantage of ethanol is that after filling your 4x4 tank, you can drink the rest :twisted: :mrgreen:

-F_D

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Ja as jy gaan visvang het jy nie meer nodig om by die dop store te stop nie, Jy tap sommer bietjie etanol uit jou tank en mix dit met damwater :twisted: :twisted:
Theo
Town: Hazyview
Vehicle: Opel Corsa 160IS Utility

Post by Theo »

Hallo almal.

ek is nuut in die Hi Lux game. Het baie ou 2.4d 4x4 single cab opgetel en wil hom opbou. loop nog en is nog op die pad maar is baie sleg behandel. wil weet wat dink jul van Lexus V8. Die ander vraag is of iemand al sukses gehad het met alternative fuel.

Ek eksperimenteer met verskeie alternative fuel metodes en het interesante dinge vermag. sou nou graag met iemand wou praat wat dit al reggekry het. Wil graag gas op Lexus V8 sit maar soek iemand wat weet hoe om die computer te oortuig om te vuur sonder petrol.
Attachments
My engin. Hoop hy hardloop spoedig op alternative fuel. of eerder 'n Lexus V8 met alternative fuel
My engin. Hoop hy hardloop spoedig op alternative fuel. of eerder 'n Lexus V8 met alternative fuel
Bak is ten minste nog redelik heel.
Bak is ten minste nog redelik heel.
Kort 'n bitjie werk.
Kort 'n bitjie werk.
Theo Cory
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: perth
Vehicle: 1991 hilux surf with 31" kuhmo kl71's

Post by Tinman »

just to let you guys know,if you have an older engine do not convert to LPG unless you have all your valves changed to stainles steal or they will just be destroyed from the water vapour that forms during a liquid propane gas conbustion. also your exhaust will not last as long.
Diezel Weazel
Town: Hemel Hempstead
Vehicle: Toyota KZN130

Post by Diezel Weazel »

I ran my 2.4 Ln 130 1990 Hilux Surf on Pure Corn oil or SVO from a Supermarket, (never bothered with Bio Diesel as we have some Cheats n impurities in fuel)
Ran it for 3 years anything from 30/70 Diesel /Veg in Winter n up to 90% SVO /10 Diesel in Summer.
For the last 18 months I've been running a KZN 130 with a minimum 50/50 Diesel/SVO n now in summer up to 80/20 SVO / Diesel with no probs so far....
Good Luck

Jess

There's a day called catch em !! One day ..... One Day .....
Last edited by Diezel Weazel on Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diezel Weazel
Town: Hemel Hempstead
Vehicle: Toyota KZN130

Post by Diezel Weazel »

Hi All, Ya might find some useful info here
http://www.greenteam-supermarket.com/

Stuart there is a Hilux Surf forum in Oz (can't find the link atmo ) here's the UK site n there's alink somewhere.. http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk
Good hunting
ps.
Quite a few of us in the UK don't use Injector cleaners we use ATF (Automatic Tranmission Fluid) Cheaper by the litre n does the same Job
Jess

Return to “Alternative Energy”