Klien Tafelberg

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2002 Toyota Hilux KZTE D/C 4x4 Raider

Klien Tafelberg

Post by JaMMeX »

Hey All

I am heading out to Klein Tafelberg this weekend with a crew of LandCruisers and Pajeros (cough cough hehe)

Anyone here done the trails, and any feedback?

Bruce'ster
2002 Toyota Hilux KZTE D/C 4x4 Raider
Dastek Unichip - ARB bullbar - WARN winch - SAC intercooler - Long range tank - Maxxis MT tyres - Lenso alloy mags

4x4mods.co.za | Carmods.co.za | Ferroli Performance Centre
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Klien Tafelberg

Post by ThysdJ »

Ja lekker... enjoy broke-back mountain.. heartbreak hill or whatever... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

hahaha

yeah heard the end hill is quite something! you done it?
Dastek Unichip - ARB bullbar - WARN winch - SAC intercooler - Long range tank - Maxxis MT tyres - Lenso alloy mags

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Nope, I have not but there are some wise men here who have. We had a long discussion about that hill way back with old Bosvark. See if you can find it, there are pics as well if I remember correctly... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

shit is it that hectic!

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

no man, you be driving a Hilux.. nothing is hectic... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Turbo
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Brackenfell Cape Off-road Country
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8

Post by Turbo »

They have 2 routes.The Bobjaan that is the rocky road and the Skilpad which is the sand route.
I did the skilpad (with Bosvark) with my 2.4 SFA.Did not go up"THE HILL".One guy in our group attempted to go up in his Pajero 3500 and got stuck.He reversed and went of the spoor into a deep ditch.Took about 90 minutes to recover him.This was mid summer and very hot.
You should not have aproblem this time of year with all the rain we had.

Enjoy, the campsite is amazing.
.Only when we are no longer afraid,do we begin to live
www.capeoffroad.co.za
swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sutherland
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 SC

Post by swifty »

I did the trail about 4 years ago, I still had the 2.2 DC. In a group of 10 vehicles (Hiluxes, Cruisers, Patrols, Landrovers etc.) I was the only one to clear the HILL. :thumbup:

The 2.2 Lux was running on 32" tyres @ about 0.8bar and I fitted a Lockrite locker in the front diff a week earlier. As the Lockrite cannot be seen (no telltale vacuum or compressor pipes), everybody was amazed at the (standard) vehicle's performance! :mrgreen:

I'm not sure what the HILL looks like now, but at that time there were lots of thick sand and halfway up one had to negotiate huge cross axles. Most of the vehicles got to the cross axle area and just made it worse....
2003 HILUX 2.7i SRX S/C; Solid front axle conversion with Cruiser coil springs, 4.88:1 diff ratios, Iron Man rear suspension with extended greasable shackles, Gearmax diff lock, 150 liter feul tank, NudgeM bumper with recovery shackles, BF Goodridge Baja 33x10.5x15 tyres
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

Yeah! It should be ok now, but hey! I will be happy to try, if I dont make it, then so be it, would rather return home with my Vehicle in 1 Piece! But then again, Ill see what the Adrenalin does! :twisted:

Klonkies
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 1996-Hilux 2.4 D/C - 33 Kuhmo`s -rear difflock

Post by Klonkies »

Hey Jammex,

You will surely enjoy Klein Tafelberg. check in the Trail reports, i wrote a little summary of our experience including some pics.
The Venue is excellent - the trail offers some challenging sand routes and then THE rocky sections is to seperate the hilux from the rest! ah ha...

But serious - you`ll love it and most seriously you`ll finish Heart-break hill. (took me 6 attempts, but i made it up :P )

:thumbup:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Anyone got co-ords for this Trail asblf :?:
R :wink:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

I've done it a few times, very nice trail and good clean facilities, one of a few trails with a pool.

Very easy to find, just other side of "cross candle bush"

Will try to find co ords, my gps has been there, but i don't know how to ask it.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

If you can find it on Google Earth, you can pull the co-ords off there. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

32 36 37 S
18 29 00 E
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Hoppy wrote:32 36 37 S
18 29 00 E

Thanks Allen :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
18 29 00 E

Thanks Allan :thumbup:
:D: :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Mud Dog wrote:
Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
18 29 00 E

Thanks Amdy :wink: :wink:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:
Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
18 29 00 E

Thanks Richie Rich :wink: :thumbup:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

snipes wrote:
Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:
Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
18 29 00 E

Thanks Richie Rich :wink: :thumbup:
Pleasure Breeton :wink:
jsrossouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2.7i Hilux

Post by jsrossouw »

We did it the other day. We did skilpad but we could not do the tough rocky part once you get up the hill. The rain washed away all the sand that keeps the rocks steady so that path is a mess. They did it the day before we got there and every 4x4 in the group got stuck except the guide's defender. There was a guy with a V8 disco 1 with arb lockers front and back and he couldnt even get out there. They had to pully winch all the cars out and it took them 8 hours to do the course. Plus with all the rain the last couple of days the course isnt half the fun it should be. We didnt get stuck once, the sand is hard.

Good luck, hope you enjoy it.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

jsrossouw wrote:We did it the other day. We did skilpad but we could not do the tough rocky part once you get up the hill. The rain washed away all the sand that keeps the rocks steady so that path is a mess. They did it the day before we got there and every 4x4 in the group got stuck except the guide's defender. There was a guy with a V8 disco 1 with arb lockers front and back and he couldnt even get out there. They had to pully winch all the cars out and it took them 8 hours to do the course. Plus with all the rain the last couple of days the course isnt half the fun it should be. We didnt get stuck once, the sand is hard.

Good luck, hope you enjoy it.
Thanks Stephan
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

Thanks guys!

Looking forward to it, and ill have a write up and some pics monday!

Hope the sand is loose by now!

Bloues
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 2.2 D/C

Post by Bloues »

Enjoy it - waiting for the wright up....!!!!
just make sure you have recovery equipment for the pajero's..........the Cruisers etc. wont need it !!!!!! :lol:
Bloues
(Nie blou bul maar SHARKS ondersteuner)
Don't fence me in.....
'91 D/Cab 2.2(4y) AKA - Bloues. Lifted Suspension, Dual Battery, 80Liter Freezer, Bridgestone Dueler A/T, 29Mhz Radio, Mud Creeper Winch(Aus), EasyAwn Rooftop Tent, Roofrack, Garmin Nuvi, Long Range Fuel Tank, Jacks+straps for landi recovery.....
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

im back, alive and smiling, will write something with some pics asap, just trying to get thru some 100's of mails!

My God! It was UNREAL!

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

JaMMeX wrote:im back, alive and smiling, will write something with some pics asap, just trying to get thru some 100's of mails!

My God! It was UNREAL!

Peekchaz :!: :!:

R :wink:
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

So here it finally is friends.

It is the best campsite I have ever stayed at. The owner Steve and his wife were so hospitable and on arrival we were greeted with the warmest welcome. The first night was surprisingly warm and a relaxed braai was enjoyed by all.

The next morning we set off at around 10 am on Saturday for the Klein Tafelberg Trail. I completed the entire route, (sat out of Heart-Break Hill’s sand climb as I just wasn’t in the mood for high revving my KZ) but everyone waxed it and it looked easy compared to the challenge’s we had just completed before it.

The course is set against one of Cape Town’s most extraordinary natural surroundings of flowing green hills, blankets of colourful flowers blooming for Spring and the privilege of ancient bush paintings along the way. It starts off with a sandy trail (Pajero 1 got stuck 3 minutes in). My Tyre gauge gave me the wrong reading before we left and I also got stuck soon afterwards due to been to hard. I dropped my pressure to 0.8 and “Voila!”. The rest was a piece of cake with nice soft sand, twists and turns through the burms and a few mini dune climbs with a few 4x4’s getting stuck.

The rocky sections where great fun but flippin scary at times! My Hilux really needs a raise as there was lots of knocking and my running boards took a big beating. My tyres have little holes and rubber gashes in the sidewalls now :( so much for 3Ply Side walls on the BFS. The others did not have this issue but I unfortunately got “owned” by the rocks! We were then asked if we wanted to do the more “challenging” section. The 2 SWB Pajeros sat out on this one. The crew that took this section on was Myself, an 80 series LC, an LWB Pajero, followed by another group with a V6 Colt, V6 Pajero (old shape) and a Toyota Prado (pre 2002). My adrenalin pumped down the steep rocky sections as we approached the “serious” stuff! With my foot flat down on the brake pedal the car still slid through difficult rocky cross over’s. A few more bangs and bumps led us to the ultimate challenge of the course…

“The Steps” ...

O MY GAAAAD! My immediate thought was: "Ya right, and a car climbs up this???”.. Steve looked at me and reassured me that my KZ would be fine. He then did a demo in his new Land Rover which made it look so easy. The LC 80 series did it with no worries (wait until you see this beast. It looks like a monster truck). It was time for me to brave the steps. My Cousin, Gordz (80 Series Owner), jumped in with me and as we approached The Steps with my hands shaking, knees knocking, adrenalin pumping and a few prayers that we don’t do any serious damage, and off we went! The others all screaming: "Go, go, go!” “Keep up the momentum!” “Stay away from the clutch!” “DONT STOP!” “GO!". Before I knew it, my KZ (Obelix) was on the up! Crawling over the steps slowly and neatly, it felt like I had won an F1 race. It was such a great achievement for the day.

We then stopped off at a really awesome picnic spot, had some lunch with some cold beverages for a 30 minute rest and then it was time for the final trek towards the soft sands of “Heart-Break Hill”.

Once we reached the hill we stopped off. Some of the guys played around but as I said I decided to sit this leg out due to sympathy for my dear Obelix. It took about 2 attempts for most to clear it due to the soft sand. Steve mentioned that in summer the sand became even softer and that not many were able to conquer it in those kinds of conditions and plenty towing and recoveries end up taking most of the day away.

We had lots of fun on the way home sliding and drifting at great speeds through the sand burms towards the camp. Everyone was exhausted from the 5 – 6 hour trip and what better to end it off than with a Captain and Coke, a big warm fire and a delicious steak dish!

***** Stars all the way!

Photos -> http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... c6c3f28b29

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”