Hilux4x4.co.za (12/09/09) Tierkloof - Trail Report

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
Coopraider
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Muizenberg
Vehicle: 97 2.8 D

Re: Hilux4x4.co.za W-Cape Spring Trail - 12/09/09 Tierkloof

Post by Coopraider »

Awesome day guys, great to have met a few more of the manne en hul vroue.

Hopelik kry ek die geresizede foties hierby gelaai.

Pee Emm my as julle van die oorspronklike sizes wil he.

Cheers,

Peter
P1010021.jpg
P1010024.jpg
P1010025.jpg
P1010029.jpg
P1010030.jpg
P1010037.jpg
P1010039.jpg
Coopraider
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Coopraider »

Hier's nog n paar kiekies......
P1010045.jpg
P1010049.jpg
P1010052.jpg
P1010055.jpg
Coopraider
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Coopraider »

Every trail I go on I lose something, Mossie recovered my spare wheel on Baby Lions, Hentey recovered my cell phone on Takbok and today Coenie's lady saved my hat and binocluars - Thank you - and thanks to Deon, Thys and Martin for getting me out of that knarly gat on the second obstacle today.

I've just noticed I haven't posted any pic of the Baas - Jammer Pieter - djyt so vinnig gery ek konnie n kiekie vattie.

Actually I'm skaam cause I roofclubbed - ek is noggie n klublid nie - maar sal gou gou aansluit as ek weet hoe.

Cheers,

Peter
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Nice pic's tx, Peter :thumbup: :thumbup:
wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1996 dc raider 2,4

Post by wacky »

Yes its very nice meeting the other half of the hilux manne;it was lekka playing with u guys.
@ Peter no problem buddy i am always willing in helping where i can.
@ rich the wacky mobile performed well today
@ Henty it was a jol driving behind u with all the jokes and all. :lol: en dankie vir die tips om die vroutjie 4 keer mall toe te neem. :lol:
wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by wacky »

sorry man ;wil post pictures on monday :thumbup:
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

Thanx to each and everyone who made this a first for the club(w-cape) and really a day to remember.To those who didn't make it.........You missed out!!!!! I did this trail 6-8 years ago and it definitly became more challenging over the years.Even Kaspaas (with ballet shoes) had to dance a 2nd round at the Diepsloot obstacle.Whacky's owner(Deon) was in the mood for some serious off roading and showed us that brute power is not everything,but with a Lux and driving skills you can go a long way.Swifty was a little bored with the situation,cause that machine needs a trail with higher ranking.And then there was Leon (african child)who had to devide his attention..............(blonde's are beautiful mos) but the v6 did its bit without missing a beat.Nuff said,you'll have wait for Thys's trip or trail report. :thumbup:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

This was a good one! Thanks a stack to all who attended. Hentey and to you for doing all the admin and the arrangements, it is really appreciated. As Hentey said, the trail "matured" a little with some of the parts being a lot gnarlier than the last time we were there which made it more tricky as you had to concentrate all the time to miss the sharp rocks. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am busy resizing the pics, and uploading and stuff, but I also have some family commitments today. As soon as all that is done I will do a little write-up and post my pics. In the mean time, please post your pics and comments.

O ja... There was another first, there was not a single 4Y in the pack.... what a pleasure... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Lekker, guys! Nice pics Thuys .... I can see you all had an enjoyable day. Looks like I'm gonna have to move down there! :lol: :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

What a lovely day and what a nice bunch of people, klein maar ge-train! I did struggle the most of the guys on the cross-axles (no lockers and lines going to pot) and when I got stuck I had to fight the guys off storming in to help, show me lines and building road, that is the spirit of the WC Club in emphasis. I saw yesterday what a difference a locker makes but with the guys having loads of experience between them and freely giving advise I can make do without. Thanks Henty and family for the lovely spoil, I felt like a King.
Here is looking forward to the next one... :D
Dadz Toy BFI wrote:about the 4Y's - with brash and more unfriendly comments like that I wonder where the WC Club is going......... Click, flush, gurgle; WC indeed :!: :!: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Aag toemaar, volgende keer wys jy die winties hoe, nie waar nie! :thumbup: :thumbup
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

Just one thing,I was talking crap......Deleted post
Last edited by hentey on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanx for a great day guys. This was very enjoyable day. Thank you Thys and Hentey for orginizing this one.
I think we were a great mix of vehicles, it is a pity there were no 4y's around. What I did enjoy was the fact that there were only Hiluxes. So everything went smooth and we did not have to wait for anybody.

I think the guy who impressed me the most was Wacky. This was the first time I met him and saw him in action. I can see he has lots of 4x4 experience and he know what he is doing. That 22R surely impressed us all.

And of course Swifty made it look so easy with his ultimate 4x4. It is a pleasures watching him navigate over the difficult parts with ease.

To everybody who attended, thanx for attending and thanx for making this a memorable experience. I hope to see you all at the next event.

I added my photos on a seperate page at
http://hilux4x4.co.za/tierkloof/hiluxclub.php
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ThysdJ

Hilux4x4.co.za (12/09/09) Tierkloof - Trail Report

Post by ThysdJ »

What a nice outing. It started out misty in CT that morning, but as soon as we met the guys at the Winelands 1 Stop the sun broke through and that set the tone for the rest of the day. In a break with tradition I was actually on time for once, (round of applause please) something that almost never happens. After a quick coffee and a "how do you do" at the 1 Stop we proceeded towards Rawsonville at exactly 07:30. At the toll-gate we waited for Pieter to join us .. ahem.. ahem.. We got to the Tierkloof gate about 10 minutes later than we anticipated and found Hentey and Leon (African Child) waiting for us. We flew the WP flag proudly, because we can, although it got snagged on a tree somewhere long the back end of the route and broke off. Minor inconvenience, next time I'll make a stronger mounting.

The following people with their families attended:

PietPetoors (Pieter) - Hilux 2.7 DC IFS
Kaspaas (Thys) - Hilux 7MGE DC SFA
Hentey (Hentey) - Hilux 2.7 DC IFS
Wacky (Deon) - Hilux 2.4 22R DC SFA
Coopraider (Peter) - Hilux 2.8D DC SFA
African Child (Leon) - Hilux 4.0 V6 DC
Swifty (Martin) - Hilux 2.7 DC SAS
King Rat (Coenie) - Hilux 3.0 Ford V6 DC SFA

Deon showed us his amazing RC vehicles and their abilities and right there you could see the inner-child in each of us come alive. After all the admin was done, we got the whole group together, took a nice group photo and Pieter said a few words as this was the inaugural Club event and all and we got ready to rock and roll.

The trail is a lot more matured than what it was the last time we went up there. Erosion caused a lot of the soil to be washed away leaving a lot more exposed rock and deep holes for us to negotiate. The first uphill before the cave and the lookout point is quite washed out but without fail everybody made it up on their first try with lots of encouragement and "spotting" by the rest of the group to safe-guard against punctured sidewalls from the sharp rocks. We stopped at the sign pointing towards the cave, and some of the group walked up the hill to go look for it. Coenie and I went halfway up and then decided this was nuts, and the rest of the group (wisely) decided to stay at the vehicles to look after the kids.

The next obstacle had 2 approaches, one more extreme and a "softer" one for the guys with "tupperware". All the SFA guys took the tougher route, and the ouens with the lockers went for the more difficult line, meaning wheels in the air etc etc. Peter Coopraider got himself stuck on a rock that was placed there to assist with the approach angle, and had to be jacked up to have the rock removed from under his front diff. Once again everybody jumped in and helped with the recovery. The diesel-coop made it up without any trouble. Coenie also hung himself up on the same rock, but me managed to get him off without the use of a hi-lift jack. Pieter took the "softer" approach, but he made it look really spectacular with the left front wheel grabbing some serious air. Hentey and Leon also opted for the more sedate option to protect their vehicles from damage.

Around the back end of the route there was no real opportunities to stop and take pictures as it is one long down-hill with some deep gullies washed out by recent rains. The WP flag got snagged on a bush on the way down and the "flagpole" broke off. Thanks Pieter for rescueing it. I only realised it was gone a little way down and could not stop to retrieve it myself. Once we got to the bottom there was the Diepkloof obstacle. The opposite bank is now really badly washed out and trying to do the most difficult line will almost certainly result in body damage to the vehicles, so we played a bit on the "safer" side and got some nice pictures. Martin in Swifty showed us what a SAS Hilux can really do and he seriously impressed all of us.

We arrived at the sand part of the trail and once again everybody walked up to the obstacle and discussed what approach would be the best to make it in one go. I must admit that the sand was nice and compact after the rain so it was not as difficult as what it could be at the end of a dry summer. Everybody did it on their first attempt, although Hentey wanted to turn off to go to Rawsonville for a Coke on his approach. Even Peter Coop in his 2.8 diesel made it first time up. Last time the diesel had a hard time getting up there.

From there it was back to the campsite for a cold one, and a little bit of after-trail chat. The kids had a ball, the older kids also had a ball, fun was had by everybody.

For a first Club event this was a resounding success. What became apparent quite early on the trail was the sense of cameraderie in the group. At each obstacle everybody got out their vehicles, walked the obstacle and discussed the best line to take, and evaluating the conditions. That way the guys with more experience shared their knowledge with the others, and everybody learned something in the process. A very positive constructive experience. The group was also mature enough to prevent the whole trail from turning into a "mine is bigger than yours" thing. I could be wrong, but I never sensed any rivalry amongst the guys, actually it was exactly the opposite.

Radio communications is also a problem. In the group we had 2 x 29MHz radios, but around the back reception was ranging between very poor and non existent. I agree with Hentey that we as a club should define a strategy as to which type of radio would be our "radio of choice".

I want to thank everybody who attended and made this day the success it was. Without you guys it would have been pretty boring. Thank you also for the positive attitude and the co-operation during the trail. You guys make me want to do this every weekend.

Proudly Hilux4x4.co.za
Thys

Here are some pics. There are a lot more at :thumbup: :thumbup:

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... ?start=all

WP jou Lekka Ding!

Hentey doing the Admin

Swifty impressive!!

4 X SFA

The big and the small

Hilux4x4.co.za Club (WC) Group Photo

Speech Speech Pieter opening the event

On our way to the trail

Peter Coopraider

Die Rot op die Rots

Swifty...

Whacked out!!

Hentey coming up

Leon AC on his way

A row of Hilux's and the Brandvlei Dam

Hentey looking for oil leaks

PIETER!! If Lochi sees this you in trubble :twisted: :twisted:

Coop on the rocks

Getting over it

Swifty doing its thing

Whacking his way over it

Hentey taking the more scenic route

A swift ascent

Whacking about some more

Making a very impressive V6 sound

Where did the road go?

Get outta here

The Rat in the Sand

Coop doing the diesels proud...
Thys de Jager

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Re: Hilux4x4.co.za (12/09/09) Tierkloof - Trail Report

Post by Hoppy »

Ek sien die WP vlag hang toe nog hoog, n paar ure later was hy al weer halfmas :o
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Thanks virrie fodies en stuff... :)

Nou sien ek die manne daar in Slaapstad kan actually op iets anders as net sand ry :twisted: :twisted: :thumbup: :thumbup:
To God be the glory
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Ek sien nie fotos van die grot nie, was Thys weer te lui om soontoe te stap?
aev@iburst.co.za
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Hoppy wrote:Ek sien nie fotos van die grot nie, was Thys weer te lui om soontoe te stap?
Agter 'n ou simpel grot aan? Nee wat, as ek kon ry tot daar sou dit 'n ander storie gewees het... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

African Child
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: Hilux 4L 4x4

Post by African Child »

Uiteindelik! die netwerk by die werk was af vanoggend en ek wil so graag die fouties sien. Weereens baie dankie aan julle almal wat die dag moontlik gemaak het ek en die Blond het dit verskriklik geniet. Julle ouens is regtig n klomp lekka manne bymekaar en ons hoop om julle weer n volgende keer te join. :thumbup: :clap: :clap:
Alone I wander a thousand miles, and I ask my way from the clouds.
wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by wacky »

Hoppy wrote:Ek sien nie fotos van die grot nie, ?
verniet opgeloop geen grot gevind nie ;net op n slang getrap:"miskien het die grot verdwyn/geskywe;" :D
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Deon, jy het nie dalk 'n foto geneem van daai een wat amper op die slang getrap het nie? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by wacky »

nee thys: jy was heldadig genoeg om halfpad op te gaan: Soos hentey se iemand moes na die kinders,vrouens en bakkie kyk.ek dink dis een van die vrouens wat daar bo geloop het.(Piet) :clap:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Hy het net die bruin streep afgeneem :D

Jy moet opstap en dan regs om die berg, die grot se bek kyk anderkant toe, die paadjie is maar swak gemerk.

Die grot is groot, jy kan daar braai en slaap as jy wil, ek sal in my ou fotos gaan soek of ek dit kan kry.
aev@iburst.co.za
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Hoppy wrote:die paadjie is maar swak gemerk.
Watter paadjie?? daar was niks, net 'n bord wat op die grond gele het... Dit was daai ene van my wat die slang skrikgemaak het... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sutherland
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 SC

Post by swifty »

Thanks guys for a wonderfull day. :clap:

We must make this a monthly (club) event! :mrgreen:
2003 HILUX 2.7i SRX S/C; Solid front axle conversion with Cruiser coil springs, 4.88:1 diff ratios, Iron Man rear suspension with extended greasable shackles, Gearmax diff lock, 150 liter feul tank, NudgeM bumper with recovery shackles, BF Goodridge Baja 33x10.5x15 tyres
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Here's the profile of the track we drove. I uploaded the mapsource file in the Mapsource Database section. viewtopic.php?f=65&t=8406 :thumbup: :thumbup:
tierkloof-profile.JPG
Thys de Jager

2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

nice, some really nice lux's
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by wacky »

pictures as promised:
Let's loosen his nuts: :lol:
Oom hentey en African child wag geduldig:
at the look out point:
another spectator:
hier kom n ding:
balley shoes on the rock:
strating his stuff:
coopraider:

THE ROCK

hentey
african child
u on candid camera
what is this a SFA hybrid(awesome conversion)
waiting for piet
swifty looks
Me doing my thing
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Now this chap looks more like a 4Y than that beetle...

4 Y R U TAKING PICTURE OF ME?

Return to “Trail Reports”