Cederberge accommodation

Planning a trip or you need information about trails in your area.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Cederberge accommodation

Post by pietpetoors »

We are planning a trip to the Cederberge next week. On 5 or 6 July we will stay over at Matroosberg but from there on I want to go into the Cederberge in the direction of Wuperthal. I know many of the camping sites around there but the ladies for some reason do not want to camp this time. I don't know why, might be the snow.

Does anybody know of nice chalets (less than R700 per night per chalet) in the area?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: Cederberge accommodation

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Yes Pieter,

Go to

http://www.citrusdal.info/olivier/cottage.htm

The owners are friends of my father and they are dead keen for 4x4 enthusiasts to visit and drive their very own 4x4 Trail; discount should be poss'

You can name drop if you like, my Dad's name is Bryan :wink:
Arno
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville CT
Vehicle: 1997 Hilux DC

Post by Arno »

Die nuutste WEGRY het artikels oor die die area en huisies by Elandsvlei. Tydskrif is by die huis so ek kan vanaand die besonderhede vir jou kry.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Pieter,

Another option... EnjoLife in the Bidou Valley, just outside Wupperthal, one of my favourite spots...

Take a look at the website:
http://www.soulcountry.info

The place is run by a German couple Mauritz and Andreas, there prices are very reasonable, R270 to R370...

And the cottages have fire places... a must for this time of the year!

B :thumbup:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanks, some of them seem to small unfortunately, we will be 5.

Talking about the mountains, we will be staining at Matroosberg the first night and when I confirmed our booking this morning I asked them if we would be able to do the 4x4 trail up the mountain on Sunday. They said we can but apparently it now costs R250 per vehicle PLUS R50 per person. Seems like they smelt money and now wants to rip-off the public big time. Are there any other 4x4 routes in the area where one can go to see the snow. My wife's son from Pretoria are visiting and he nether saw snow, so the whole idea is to show him snow
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Pieter,

In the Cederberg, there are many hikes that will take you to the snow(if there is) Wolveberg Cracks or Maltese Cross, but these are not for the faint hearted, it's quite a hike...

Matroosberg is unfortunately really expensive, when there's snow they tend to get over run with people, I think it's there way of keeping the numbers down... I know they only allow a certain number of vehicles in per day!

B
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I don't know the area, but the guys from the LCCSA are very wary of the Matroosberg...
From today's Cape Times:

Man slips, falls to his death during snow outing
AN Italian living and working in Cape Town plunged to his death on Saturday after slipping on ice in the Matroosberg, falling from a cliff nearly 200m high.

With camping chairs under their arms, the 38-year-old man and his friend were walking from their 4x4 towards the edge of the deep Groothoek Kloof when they both slipped and fell, witness Otto Rall said.

The man has not yet been identified because his relatives have yet to be informed.

"He and his friend took two black chairs from their vehicle and walked down toward the edge. The next moment, they were both lying on the ground and then the one was gone.

"He dropped off the krans 10m in front of me. My eyes locked with the other man." Rall said he grabbed snatch ropes from the back of his own 4x4 and threw them down to the man, whose heel had, luckily, caught on a small rock, preventing him from also falling off the cliff.

"He dug into the snow with his nails to slow himself down. They were ripped and bleeding." The man tied the ropes around his body and Rall was able to haul him away from the edge. The man then used a rope to fashion a harness, and a group of people lowered him on to a ledge, but he could not see his friend and asked to be pulled back up.

"We radioed down to one of the cars further down the road where there was cellphone reception, and told them to call a helicopter," Rall said.

According to Wilderness Search and Rescue's John Davids, the Skymed helicopter searched the area and found and recovered the man's body.

The incident occurred close to the summit of the 2 249m high mountain in the Matroosberg Private Nature Reserve, where scores of snowboarders, skiers and 4x4 enthusiasts had driven to enjoy the snow.

According to the reserve's Didi Greef, the snow conditions were particularly unpredictable on Saturday as it was soft in some places and hard and slippery in others.

Western Cape police said the man's body was taken to the Tygerberg Hospital Mortuary.

The dead man's friend who also slipped on the snow was also his business partner, Greef said.

The victim's family, believed to be overseas, is scheduled to arrive in Cape Town today.
Some of the guys mentione that they avoid the area like the plague when it snows.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 1996 dc raider 2,4

Post by wacky »

Well we were also on those section of the mountain and it make common sense not to go near the cliffs.
1) You cannot see the cliff's edge because the snow is so thick
2) In summer those cliffs are so scary to go near as its in a zig-zag formation with instant vertical drops.
So ja rather play safe than be sorry.because we stayed clear of those cliffs. :?
see pictures under trail reports.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Eric, I tend to agree with Wacky. I have been there before and if you stay where you are supposed to be and don't go out and try to be funny or looking for trouble, it is not that dangerous. Don't worry, where we went the last time we were very far from any cliffs or severe dangers.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

OK, Bretton we are going to stay one night at the place you suggested, although their cottage only takes max of 4 we twisted their arm to allow 5.

Rich, your place is just a little bit out of the way, if we stayed one night longer I would have looked at it, perhaps next time.

Arno, I did read the WEGRY. Elandsvlei is also a bit out of our way for this trip. On this trip we want to cover a smaller area but see if we can do more activities like hiking, looking for bushman paintings, etc instead of just driving around.

Thanks for all of your input and suggestions
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

I take it you are going to Stadsaal Caves then? There are bushmen painting, but unfortunately they have been fenced off... cause some id1ots think it's good sports to damage them :evil: . A fun route do is from Wupperthal to Eselbank, via Eselbank pass... just be careful if it's raining the pass may be slippery and some sections are pretty narrow.
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

snipes wrote:Eselbank pass... just be careful if it's raining the pass may be slippery and some sections are pretty narrow
Is that the same pass the locals drive with sedan vehicles :?: :lol:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Niel wrote:Is that the same pass the locals drive with sedan vehicles :?: :lol:
het die ou met die Mazda 323 by jou OOK verbygekom Niel? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Niel wrote:
snipes wrote:Eselbank pass... just be careful if it's raining the pass may be slippery and some sections are pretty narrow
Is that the same pass the locals drive with sedan vehicles :?: :lol:
Yip that's the one... the locals use it like a rally track... they're mad... just take a look what there vehicles look like!!

On our way down, we met a local on his way the steeper narrow section... he says it's all about revs... :shock: he was on his second exhaust system for the year... everything was held together with bloudraad! It's alot worse it the wet!

:wink:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

You must try it on a bike boet. Especially of you drive in the track closest to the edge. It is a completely different experience from doing it in a vehicle with 4 wheels. It feels as if you are going to fall over and you know that if you just fall over you will fall far.
Arno
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville CT
Vehicle: 1997 Hilux DC

Post by Arno »

Did it on a mountain bike ! Riding (braking ) down and pushing up !
Piesang
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Pieter as jy daai pad met jou bakkie gaan ry plak voortydig die flikkerligte voor met ductape aan die boddy vas. Daai pad skud so dat die armpie bo aan die lig wat hom aan die bakwerk vas hou afbreek en dan val hy uit. Ek het my bakkie sin dar verloor. En nee ek het nie soos die locals gejaag nie.

Ons gaan af-en-toe waneer dit ons gegun word kamp by Kromrevier, daar is geen krag vir die tent staanplekke nie. Daar is wel huisies en 'n vriend van my het nou twee weke terug vir 'n week daar in 'n uisie gebly.
Dit is baie stiller as die ander kampplekke en is sentral gelee tussen die Statsaal grotte, Wolfberg skeur en die M/kruis en loop afstand van Truitjieskraal en baie plek om met jou fiets tery. Ongelukkig is die 4x4 roete op die plaas gesluit.

Jy kan ook 'n ent met die revier op ry en dan verder allangs die rivier stap tot jy by 'n waterfal en nog verder poelle uit kom, maak so dag van die stap.

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

pietpetoors wrote:You must try it on a bike boet. Especially of you drive in the track closest to the edge. It is a completely different experience from doing it in a vehicle with 4 wheels. It feels as if you are going to fall over and you know that if you just fall over you will fall far.
I suffer from extreme vertigo (fear of heights). Never, ever, would you get me anywhere close to a place like this, and the fact that one might think there is solid ground next to you but in reality there is only a snow bank, gives me the willies even as I read about it. As a kid, I used to have nightmares from falling into deep holes, before finally waking up with a shock. Eishhhh.......... not for me, thank you! :roll:

Piet, enjoy it, but take care!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 1996 dc raider 2,4

Post by wacky »

En ek het gedink ek is al een "pietpetoors wrote:

I suffer from extreme vertigo :lol:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

We are back. I will probably write the trip report tonight.
The whole area was quite exciting. They had lots of rain two weeks ago which washed away a lot of the roads. The Matroosberg route has also been washed away at some stages and it was a bit more difficult than usual. There was even one place where I only got up on the second try.

The back road to Wuppertal also lost its "Sedan" status. There are places where you would not get through with a sedan vehicle. What is unfortunately very sad to see is that somebody (probably the sedan drivers) just made new detours through the bushes everywhere where the road has been washed away.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

pietpetoors wrote:What is unfortunately very sad to see is that somebody (probably the sedan drivers) just made new detours through the bushes everywhere where the road has been washed away.
This is more than likely done by the local that live at Eselbank, they really don't have much of an option, they don't have 4x4's and have to get home somehow!

Can't wait to read the trip report!

B
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Pieter I'm really glad you and the family enjoyed Middelplas, it's a special place! In fact your pictures have made me decide it's time for the family to visit there again soon... very soon... my favourite spot in up at the dam/pool watching the sun set, with all the weaver birds nests overhead...

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Ja, I actually dont feel like being here. I would love to go back there and help them mark out the hiking trails and build the bush camp.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

snipes wrote:Hi Pieter,

Another option... EnjoLife in the Bidou Valley, just outside Wupperthal, one of my favourite spots...

Take a look at the website:
http://www.soulcountry.info

The place is run by a German couple Mauritz and Andreas, there prices are very reasonable, R270 to R370...

And the cottages have fire places... a must for this time of the year!

Thanks B :thumbup: :thumbup:

We're just trying to book this for the 24-27th Sept :P

Is there a lekker SWAMBO friendly trail near by :?:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Hi Rich, no there is not an official trail. You can drive up to the fountain which is a nice route and there are a couple of places where it is rather difficult. There are also hiking trails.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Thanks Pieter :wink:

We might even end up at my Dad's friends place, just a big worri over the proximity of the pool and damn to the huis, not clever when you have a very active and curious 2 yr old :(

I did promise them that I'd Appraise their new Trail in 2009, might have to be a Club Weekender nê :think: :wink:
Piesang

Post by Piesang »

Ek was so 23jaar terug van Clanwilliam se kant af na die maalgate wat daar is en as ek reg onthou was dit by Bidou, maar toe ek die gesin met ons trips daar deur so jaar terug wou gaan wys, kon ek nie die plek kry nie.

Het wel by 'n plek ingery waar ek gedink het dit moet wees, maar dit was seker etenstyd daar en kon niemand in die hande kry om te vra nie.

Weet julle waar die maalgate is?

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Excuse my potential ignorance, but is it not called MalGat?

I've been there, but only the real 'mal gatte' actually did the jump into that icy cold water... btw it was the middle of winter!

Piesang

Post by Piesang »

Piet, nee dit is nie die een by Sandrif nie, was al 'n paarmal daar. Ek sal die ou albums moet gaan uithaal en die fotos in scaan dat jul kan sien hoe die plek lyk waarvan ek praat.

Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: D-4D Hilux Raider 4x4

Post by Buff »

It's on the left just before the 90deg right hand bend before you get to Eselbank (before the low level bridge) if you're coming from Wuppertals side.
About 3 pools that flow into each other and then over the waterfall.
Hilux 2.7 Raider D/Cab 4x4
Piesang

Post by Piesang »

Buff wrote:It's on the left just before the 90deg right hand bend before you get to Eselbank (before the low level bridge) if you're coming from Wuppertals side.
About 3 pools that flow into each other and then over the waterfall.
That sounds like it.. but where the ............. is Eselbank.

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Oh, those. Have a look at http://pietpetoors.com/bike_wupperthal/2.php
Eselbank is in the way to Wupperthal if you go from Sanddrif to Wupperthal
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

Piesang,ek het n foto van die Eselbankers wat ek vir jou kan e-mail.Wil dit nie op die forum sit nie.Laat kry my jou e adres dan maak ek so.Dit was op n Satteraggg mirraggg geneem
Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Buff »

Turn off is at S32 20 42.1 E19 13 11.9 and the pools at S32 20 47 E19 13 25.8
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Buff wrote:Turn off is at S32 20 42.1 E19 13 11.9 and the pools at S32 20 47 E19 13 25.8

Coool, thanks Brett :thumbup:
Piesang

Post by Piesang »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
Buff wrote:Turn off is at S32 20 42.1 E19 13 11.9 and the pools at S32 20 47 E19 13 25.8

Coool, thanks Brett :thumbup:
And now I need thar GPS that I don't have.

Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Buff »

:lol: Work with me here Pieter, I'm try my best to help you out :angel:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Does anybody know where Martiensrus or Beukeskraal is? Must be close to Wuppertal somewhere.
Or does anybody know where the dam is where Wuppertal gets its water from?

Return to “Places to go”