Ford v6

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Pieda
Town: Nylstroom
Vehicle: 88 Hilux 4x4

Ford v6

Post by Pieda »

Hi,
I want some info on the v6 motor and the conversion, what parts to use bellhousing, gaskets, radiator elctric ignition.
Some help will be apretiated.
Bandit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port alfred
Vehicle: 2008 Fortuner V6 4x4

Re: Ford v6

Post by Bandit »

Chat to Andrew, Sifu Lux.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Hi Dawie,

I built my conversion over from a JT3000 converted Hilux, so reused most of the brackets etc.

The bellhousing you will need is from Gilo Engineering, GILO 408.
Gilo Engineering bellhousing Ford V6 to G52 Toy box.JPG
Gilo Engineering bellhousing Ford V6 to G52 Toy box.JPG (21.84 KiB) Viewed 3076 times
You can us a Hilux 2.4 Diesel radiator, just get the radiator shop to move the inlet/outlet pipes to the right position for you.

For electronic ignition, I used Pertronix. search the forum for the step by step conversion. You can re-use the Hilux ignition coil. Here is the thread - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8302&p=90421&hilit= ... nix#p90421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I re-used the Hilux power steering pump (mounts where the mechanical fuel pump is normally mounted). You need to convert to electric fuel pump if you do this.
Toyota power steering pump mounted to Ford V6.JPG
Also, the passenger side firewall has to be "massaged" in a bit(about 35mm) with a hammer to clear the passenger side cylinder head.
Firewall for V6.JPG
Here is a list of the parts I used for the conversion 4 years ago.
Essex V6 parts list.xls
(31 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Engine is a lot heavier, so you may need to add an extra leaf to the front spring pack.

Sump needs to be cut to clear the front diff under full articulation.
Sump modified to clear front diff.JPG
No special gaskets.

Anything else, just ask.
Last edited by Sifu-Lux on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Pieda
Town: Nylstroom
Vehicle: 88 Hilux 4x4

Post by Pieda »

Andrew,
Thankyou very much for the info its going to help me allot. Do you think the v6 to hilux gearbox is a good combination, ive heard that the hilux gearbox is not so tough. Im using the toyota 2.7 diff with difflock and 4.55 ratio in back and front and 31" bf km2 mt's. Is there anyway one could make the engine a little more waterproof, I intend to go to the okavango in Dec and dont want to be a problem for the other people.
bduk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cullinan
Vehicle: Ford :Toyota
Club VHF Licence: HC237

Post by bduk »

Hi Andrew how did you sort out the rev counter?
Wat ek is is net genade
Wat ek het is net geleen
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Pieda wrote:Andrew,
Thankyou very much for the info its going to help me allot. Do you think the v6 to hilux gearbox is a good combination, ive heard that the hilux gearbox is not so tough. Im using the toyota 2.7 diff with difflock and 4.55 ratio in back and front and 31" bf km2 mt's. Is there anyway one could make the engine a little more waterproof, I intend to go to the okavango in Dec and dont want to be a problem for the other people.
The gearbox (G52) is fine with the V6, just drain it and fill with new oil of the correct grade. My spare gearbox had done over 200 000km with the v6, no problems.

As far as waterproofing goes, firstly fit a snorkel. This will help a bit. Try to avoid deep water, but if you must, make sure you have a fan with a viscous coupling that will stall in deep water, or an electric fan which you can temporarily swicth off for deeper water crossings.

Try to keep water away from the alternator and distributor.
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

bduk wrote:Hi Andrew how did you sort out the rev counter?
Remove the rev counter from the instrument cluster. On the PC board is a small potentiometer. I removed mine and soldered in an extention cable and then put the cluster back together. With the potentiometer now available to me on the extended wiring cable, I then attached a second rev counter to the coil, and then adjusted the original in the dash via the potetiometer until they matched. Then checked the correspondance at 1000, 2000, 3000 RPM etc.

With this done, I then tucked the potetiometer under the dash out of the way.
Hilux rev counter.JPG
Rev counter with pot on extended cable.JPG
Rev counter with pot on extended cable1.JPG
[
bduk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by bduk »

Thanks Andrew but im still in the dark. My lux was a 2.4 diesel that i got without an engine. I don't know where the rev counter worked from and or what wires go where.
Wat ek is is net genade
Wat ek het is net geleen
bduk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by bduk »

I like your v6's color scheme. What is that bottle thing on the right hand side of the pick where you showed how you fit the right hand side exhaust manifold By the way i dont like that remedy of yours, thats why i'm still struggling to buld my own manifolds. I like dents and scratches to come by accident. :P
Wat ek is is net genade
Wat ek het is net geleen
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

bduk wrote:I like your v6's color scheme. What is that bottle thing on the right hand side of the pick where you showed how you fit the right hand side exhaust manifold By the way i dont like that remedy of yours, thats why i'm still struggling to buld my own manifolds. I like dents and scratches to come by accident. :P
Bottle thing is an extra air tank for my compressor for the ARB diff locks.

Building your own manifolds will not help you. The firewall mod is to clear the passenger side cylinder head, not the exhaust manifolds.
Passenger side cylinder head firewall clearance.JPG
bduk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by bduk »

Building your own manifolds will not help you. The firewall mod is to clear the passenger side cylinder head, not the exhaust manifolds.

I don't have that problem. The cylinder head fit with some space between the head and firewall i do not know why what is different if i bolt the manifold on it press against the firewall. I had all the different manifolds for the ford motor but none of them fit.
Wat ek is is net genade
Wat ek het is net geleen
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Sifu-Lux »

The manifolds I have are different left and right. The drivers side one runs straight back parallel to the cylinder head. The passenger side manifold runs parallel to the cylinder head for cylinders 4 and 5, then drops down at cylinder 6.
Ford V6 stripped parts.JPG
I am sot sure if these are Cortina bakkie manifolds, or from a Sierra. Ask kfxnando on the forum, he had a set of headers for sale a while ago on the Capri forum for a Hilux.

Return to “The Workshop”