Weak rear brakes on SFA

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
hilux hilife
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: gauteng
Vehicle: '97 hilux D/C 2.7i 3RZ

Weak rear brakes on SFA

Post by hilux hilife »

I have a 2.4 1996 SFA in which I transplanted a 2.7i engine which has been a great improvement and well worth the money, however now that I have more power I've been towing a camping trailer around and i am happy with the power but the stopping is not good enough. Apart from changing the axle on the trailer to a braked axle I want to address the rear brakes on the bakkie.
When I brake hard with the trailer the front wheels lock and I'm not sure that I'm getting enough rear braking, this could be due to the air springs I've installed on the rear axle, instead of the rear sagging and the load compensator adjusting the braking pressure to the rear I think that the compensator does not know there is a load on the axle because of the adjusted angle.
How can I BS the compensator to give more braking to the rear without reducing suspension travel and rear sag?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Weak rear brakes on SFA

Post by Mr_B »

I read somewhere of a mod that makes the load compensator adjustable(manually)... with a lever... like the height adjuster on a lawnmower... not sure how well it works though...

Mr B
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Re: Weak rear brakes on SFA

Post by Sifu-Lux »

If you are compensating for the ride height sag with air springs then you are correct, your rear braking will not increase with load.

I improved mine a bit by extending the linkage on the axle to compensate for the increased ride height of the OME springs. viewtopic.php?f=136&t=520&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also see here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=690" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;,
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you

Return to “The Workshop”