What set of Tools?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

What set of Tools?

Post by Traveler »

Watter handgereedskap is in jou toolbox??

Myne is 'n stel van Ampro. Sal nie omgee as dit Snap-On was nie.

Know what you don't know.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: What set of Tools?

Post by pietpetoors »

Het klein King Tony socket stel, maar die spanners kom alles van my Oupa's, my Pa en pantjieswinkels. Meestal Gedore en Hazet
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

pietpetoors wrote:Het klein King Tony socket stel, maar die spanners kom alles van my Oupa's, my Pa en pantjieswinkels. Meestal Gedore en Hazet
So ou stel Gedore's is regtig lekker om te kan besit.

Ek is of 'n breekgat, of die kwaliteit op die nuwe Gedore's is twyfelagtig want daai sockets en ringspanners breek ek te maklik. Maar as ek die dag 'n ou stel raakloop koop ek dit. Ek het nog nooit 'n ou Gedore gekraak, gebuig of gebreek nie.

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Or 'Lunch Box' sockets, plyers, side cutter, screw driver, allen-keys, hose clamps, tyre lever, Q20, pipe clamps, pratley putty, crimping tool, lots of cable ties, welding rods :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I have a mixture of Stahlville & Gedore .... bits and pieces collected over the years. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

What are the 'best' tools to have say top 5?
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

I have a combination of Gedore, mastercraft, stahlwille, ampro, king tony

I buy the cheaper ones to cut and bend to suit my needs and spend a little more on the tools that will be used for what they are meant, and in that way I have never broken any of my tools, not even a 10 spanner. :twisted:

SNAP ON is great, i used them when i was still a mechy (bosses tools :thumbup: ) but they have great back up service and guarantees which makes them more appealing.

But I cant fault any of the tools I have cheap or not. If used for the application they are intended they will always give years of good service i reckon. :D
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I got a mix as well, got a red box of Ampro stuff...(the mini rachet is busy killing over)... also got Gedore... cheap stuff(incl. 2 ratchet spanners) that just says 'Chrome Vanadium' on them... and then there's a whole mix of stuff I 'inherited' or 'borrowed' from my dad... he was a fitter and turner in the Navy in the late 60's, the stuff I got from my dad is brilliant quality and outlasted the majority of the modern stuff...

Yes I'd love some Snap-on and Stahlwille goodies... so please remember my birthday...

Mr B
MORNE
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Isuzu E/cab 3.0 D-tec

Post by MORNE »

So twee maande terug het ek n hele toolboxs Jonnesway gereedskap gekoop.Voel nice en sterk en het dit vir n goeie prys gekry.
3.0 D4-D
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: ofcolaco
Vehicle: fortuner 3.0 D4-D,hilux 2007 V6 4x4

Post by 3.0 D4-D »

ek het nou so jaar lank my nuwe gedore stel,ek moet se ek het nie n probleem met die spanners of sockets nie maar die skroewedraaiers laat veel tewense.die flats het ek almal se punte afgebreek.die goed is tehard dit breek regtig temaklik.
TOYOTA,NET DIE BESTE IS GOED GENOEG
2004 kzte 4x4 rip
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Enigste probleem wat ek nog met my gedore skroewedraaiers gehad het is dat dit te maklik wegraak.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

got in 1998 gedore tool box with tools, awesome
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

Plenty of our field service vehicles at my previous employer where kitted out with Ampro and Jonnesway. Snap On was too expensive.

Beste skroewedraaiers wat ek al gehad het was Metrinch. Daai skroewedraaiers word nou al 25 jaar lank as skroewedraaiers, beitels en tentpenne gebruik en doen steeds die werk. Niks gebreek of gebuig nie. Ek sal regtig bly wees as ek nog Metrinch skroewedraaiers kan kry.

SideKick
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock
Club VHF Licence: X108

Post by SideKick »

Don't, didn't have ANY tools of my own. Never have. (Don't ask)

Went out looking for a starter set this morning and ended up buying a 68 piece King Tony set. WAY more than I budgeted!!!! On the one side I'm crying cause I'm broke now, but the other side I'm smiling because the tools are very nice.

Actually went looking for a Master Craft set, but couldn't find any sets with propper hex sockets. All the sets out there have those 12 spline crap sockets . . . Master Craft, Gedore, Grip . . . all of them.

A mechanic recomended King Tony tools to me. Hope I'm not going to be disappointed!!!
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Got a set of Gedore spanners,Metrinch sockets,love the idea of the sockets working on the centre of the flat and not rounding the corners of the hex... :thumbup: Got a few Stahlwille tools(put away)only for special occ.like putting new bits on hilux. :laugh2:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

I have been using a set of Crescent tools.The reason being it comes in a nice flat toolbox that you can place behind the seat
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Stephan, I have a smal King Tony socket set which must be about 15 years old now.
So far I did not break anything and it is still as good as the day I bought it.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Have both hex and spline sockets .... prefer the hex, but sometimes the splines come in handy when you cannot get a ratchet handle in because of the big head .... the splines give you more handle positions.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bethal MP
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 4x4 AT extended cab.
Club VHF Licence: X84

Post by Rollercoaster639 »

george wrote:I have been using a set of Crescent tools.The reason being it comes in a nice flat toolbox that you can place behind the seat
x2
Toerboer
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 3.0 D4D 4X4 DC, lr

Post by Toerboer »

I got to meet one of the King Tony Rep/owners,they have a complete made up toolbox,the big trolley with draws,3 sets of sockets,Spanners,hammers etc.Basicly everything you will need to start a workshop for R8000.00.They have a lifetime gaurantee,sounds good to me.

By the sound of things,he whants me to redo his hole kitchen,so I have been thinking,you now. ;-) ;-)

Top tools I would rate the next few under the top 5,Snap-on,King Tony,Gedore.Gaurantee does not meen mutch if there is no back up from the suppliers.From what I have seen King Tony and Snap-on don't make a fus,the exchange broken tools

Having sad that I have bought a few cheap little tools,that have supprised me.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Depends how and what you use your tools for.

Eg I have some Gedore tools, currently a broken(don't ask - staff) Kennedy shifting, el-cheapo this and that, Rothenberg screwdriver, Big(%^&%&#%^&Expensive) Rigid tools, Cheapish Stanley, etc.

I have a toolbox and my staff has theirs but, eish, the tools of the boss they work so much better! :aggresive: :aggresive: :aggresive:

All depends on what is floating in the bank the day I buy tools.

But someday, very soon I will spend big moolas on some decent tools for myself - I had a look at Jonnesway and must say it looks like quality?

Smittie, ek dink ek gaan jou moet kon help daar??? Jy kan versker nie 'n hele kombuis doen vir R8 nie?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

in die toolbox - kombinasie van ou spanner wat ek by my pa ge-erf het, en n ou Gedore socket stel.

op die tool bord teen die muur - Ampro

in Elders se kit - n "rol" van no-name spanners, en n goedkoop stel sockets. n verkeideidenheid tange, ens geen spesifieke "brand" nie.
Black Sam
Town: Mtunzini
Vehicle: Nissan Navara Pro 4x

Post by Black Sam »

Volledige stel "Ampro" in laai box, geen klagtes :thumbup:
"LIFE'S A JOURNEY, ENJOY THE RIDE"
"WHERE THERE'S A 4X4....... THERE'S A WAY" .
"LEXUS - THE PURSUIT OF PERFECTION"
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Ek het n stel Stalhwille ring spanners van nr 6 tot 24 en n stel Stalhwille sockets van nr 10 tot nr 30.Ek gebruik hulle al vir die afgeloopte 33 jaar en het nog geen probleme met hulle gehad nie.

Kan ongelukkig vandag nie meer bekostig om by te koop nie.Ek het ook so 30 jaar terug vir my n stel vessel skroewe draaiers gekoop,waarmee ek ook nog geen probleme ondervind het nie.Sal baie graag wil weet of hulle nog vervaardig word.Die skriewedraaier het n swart en geel handvatsel en sy steel is vierkantig en nie rond so by ander skroewedraaiers nie.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Ek het 'n socket stel by my pa ge-erf. Ek kan nie nou die naam onthou nie maar verbeel my die is iets soos Koneme.... Daai goed het al abuse gevat maar is nog perfek. Ek dink die enigste ding wat al gekraak het was die sparkplug socket (maar ek het so vermoede dit was gebruik om iets anders as 'n sparkplug uit te draai).

Verder is daar 'n kombinasie van flat spanners. Die wat mens by Makro koop en dan ook Stanley en Gedore.
To God be the glory
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

do not own any hand tools, BECAUSE i'm driving a Hilux. :yahoo: :lmao:
het n lekker set sockets gehad tot dit uit my bakkie gesteel was. het so paar los gedore spanners en skroewe draaiers.

Return to “The Workshop”