2TR Engine Superchagrer or turbo charger

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
tategummi
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i 4x4 2001

2TR Engine Superchagrer or turbo charger

Post by tategummi »

Hi,

I do not know if there was a topic like this before i tried searching but could not find anything.
We have got a 2006 2.7 Hilux Single Cab.
We bought it with with big BF Goodrich Mud Terrain 31/10.50. Although it works well Off Road it is very slow on-road.
We would like a bit more power especially for overtaking.
Somebody suggested a supercharger by TRD but I do not think they are still available for the 2TR engine.
We do not want to modify the engine too much (keep it as standard as possible) but it was mentioned that the TRD chrger is factory approved etc. Is there something available?

I have also seen on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toyota_engines" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that the "T" in 2TR means turbo charged. Were these engines meant to be turbo charged? The 3RZ meant to be super charged?

Best regards
Michael
Windhoek
Jacmeister
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: langebaan
Vehicle: hilux v6

Re: 2TR Engine Superchagrer or turbo charger

Post by Jacmeister »

Hey check this link...Maybe it will help, it is not cheap conversion though, I am not sure about the coding of the engines, for turbo or non turbo, but I do know that the 2.7 makes big power if tuned and is used by street dragsters.
I reckon supercharging would be my choice instead of turbo, reckon low down power is beter, If fuel consumption is not an issue than why not.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

M
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Post by truckin »

I have to agree

superchargers are much better than turbo's, and the price difference is not that much, if you look at the pro's and con's

i believe that turbos are fine for on-road use, but off-road they suck, u have the constant problem with turbolagg, the chances of the turbo sucking up some sand and dust is grater and can cause lots of damage, and and and, where as with a supercharger you dont have all that much problems, and no lagg,
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
vastrap
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Polokwane
Vehicle: 2002 Mitsubishi Colt V8

Post by vastrap »

Now why would the turbo suck up sand but not the supercharger? I think it will be the position of the air intake and the tipe of filter that determines this not the turbo or supercharger.
Vra maar net.
tategummi
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i 4x4 2001

Post by tategummi »

Hi,

thanks for all the replies and the link. This option really looks good.
I also agree a supercharger would be better than turbo.

It's not cheap, but I think it would be worth the effort especially for overtaking (safer).
The fuel efficiency would also improve if you drive normally.

When is the 4L V6 coming to the single cab? Then it wouldn't be necessary to look at all these other options.
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

Guys what would it take to charge your normal aspirated engine? obviously a supercharger,a friend recomended the Benz c230 kompressor charger,but as for mounting it on the engine,and rigging up a pully system,what else?
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Jacmeister
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Jacmeister »

I agree no reason why a turbo charger would suck up sand any air still comes through your air intake, the turbo is run via exhaust, so no risk of sand there.

Beter to find out about boosting engines from the people in the know pampoen, they will tell you whether it is possible, and also tell you about possible reliability issues.
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

look even if i had the cash i still wouldnt do it:) just let me dream man!!!
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Jacmeister
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Jacmeister »

I can respect that, I feel the same way.....It would be awesome though :twisted:
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Post by truckin »

Ja ok manne, i'm sorry that i miss tiped myself, :oops: i'm no machy, just a guy howm had it happen on my colt 2.8 tdi (i was told by mitsubishi the turbo sucked in some sand and shi taki and broke) so i base my opinion about turbos on the fact that i owned an turbo charged 4x4 :eh: ,and that mitsubishi inspired me to buy my first LUX and i never looked back, sien "elke donker wolk het n silver linning" :thumbup:
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”