Engine cleaner

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Engine cleaner

Post by Donkey »

Hi guys

Conventional engine cleaner works to a certain extent but fails to remove tuff, sturborn dirt/grime, in my experience even with a high pressure washer. In the south of Jhb, on Kliprivier Road, behind the Midas and opposite the BP Garage there is a car wash place and they sell this cleaner for R30/ltr (own container).

This stuff works! :shock2: yoh! If you compare a normal 750ml one going for around R20 and only doing half the job, this is well worth every cent considering you don't use so much of it in the first place, I use a spray container to apply it.

I live in the south and work at OR Tambo so if any of you guys want to try it I can always bring privided you supply a good quality plastic container. My digits 072 511-1322.

Regards,
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: Engine cleaner

Post by Thabogrobler »

Soh Thomelo, so early on a cold day already washing engines??? Brave man!

Would you say you magic potion works better than Prepsol?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

Hi Thabo

Fortunately I'm at work, but I did replace a CV on a Tazz on Thurs, I have not tried Prepsol yet. Where do I get it and more or less how much?

Keep well
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Post by Vlak vark »

Just be carefull, most industrial cleaners makes your wiring casting hard.
If you bend the wire the rubber isolating breaks and expose the bare wire.
Espesialy with a computer box you don't want that!

Bear in mind it don't hapen with one wash!
One life, one dream, one toyota
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Hi Nico

Thank you for the advise, I have been taking my cars there for years and have never had issues only now that I bought a pressure washer that I just buy the cleaner.

Regards,
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

They also tend to be corrosive. Exposed metal like galvanised brackets / bolts / hose end crimpings, aluminium and alloys like manifolds / radiators (if you have the ally ones) etc all become dull and tarnished especially when not properly rinsed off. What I do after rinsing is blow everything off with compressed air to get rid of any water that may be left behind and allow to dry off properly. Then I spay the whole engine bay and motor including the wiring with a mixture of petrol and a small amount of oil - alternately paraffin but the petrol / oil mixture is better. Sometimes I wait till the next day before doing this. It leaves behind a thin film of oil that prevents rusting / tarnishing. Admittedly, if there is too much oil in the mix it collects dust and dirt a lot quicker, but it cleans off easy next time around.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

When you do wash the engine be careful not to apply cleaner directly on the alternator for it remove the grease from the bearings.
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Thanks Jaco.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”