Inverters

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Inverters

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Looking to buy an inverter...... Don't want to overcompensate (buying 1500W etc), but what "size" inverter do you need for general camping equipment, couple of energy saving lights, blow up bed, hairdryer for SWAMBO etc.

Buying brands? Motoquip seems to be the cheapest, does it mean the crappest?

Thomas
Sent from my iPhone
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Inverters

Post by OOOOMS »

Thomas, carefull of the cheapies, usually controlled by elecronics.

You will feel it in the weight. The wire-wound inverters are better quality and will last longer.

Carefull of any heat-exchange unit like hair-dryers, toasters, kettle's etc. They consume lots of power. Check your equipment they will have a wattage output usually marked somewhere.

A small hair-dryer consumes about 1500 watt, the larger ones up to 3000 watt. A haircut is cheaper...... :o: Kettle ave 1300 watt and so on.

Lights are 60 / 100 watt but use energy savers where possible :thumbup:

Alternatively buy everything 12Volt :thumbup:
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartenbos Western Cape
Vehicle: '99 2.7i Hilux 4x4 S/C

Post by yotaman »

OOOOMS wrote:Thomas, carefull of the cheapies, usually controlled by elecronics.

You will feel it in the weight. The wire-wound inverters are better quality and will last longer.

Carefull of any heat-exchange unit like hair-dryers, toasters, kettle's etc. They consume lots of power. Check your equipment they will have a wattage output usually marked somewhere.

A small hair-dryer consumes about 1500 watt, the larger ones up to 3000 watt. A haircut is cheaper...... :o: Kettle ave 1300 watt and so on.

Lights are 60 / 100 watt but use energy savers where possible :thumbup:

Alternatively buy everything 12Volt :thumbup:
Good advice :thumbup:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

So what would be then an ideal invertor to run a laptop, charge camera batteries ect from... :?: Nothing big running of the Invertor that is seriously power hungry.
Johan Marais
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

JohanM wrote:So what would be then an ideal invertor to run a laptop, charge camera batteries ect from... :?: Nothing big running of the Invertor that is seriously power hungry.
I would consider a 800 - 1000 watt unit, starting up a laptop specifically you need 500 watt.

But if you are at 800 - 1000 watt you are 80% there, so why not go all the way....get the 1500 or 2000 watt as you will have so many more uses for it! Around the home, use for a baby grnder, drill even the microwave so you can warm up your woolies meal :lol: :lol: :lol:
Royco
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Post by Royco »

OOOOMS wrote: even the microwave so you can warm up your woolies meal :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now I know what the inverter is used for.... :thumbup: :thumbup:
I have one (700w), but have never found a use for it... although I guess this one is too small for a microwave.
Image Image Image Image
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Royco wrote:
OOOOMS wrote: even the microwave so you can warm up your woolies meal :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now I know what the inverter is used for.... :thumbup: :thumbup:
I have one (700w), but have never found a use for it... although I guess this one is too small for a microwave.
Small microwave 700 - 800 watt, medium about 1000 - 1400 watt, so I guess it's McD's :roll:
Royco

Post by Royco »

hhmm... could be worth getting a 700w microwave and testing at home... with fire extinguisher in hand! :lol:
Image Image Image Image
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Royco wrote:hhmm... could be worth getting a 700w microwave and testing at home... with fire extinguisher in hand! :lol:
Just check the start-up ie. max output of the inverter, as most appliances have a start-up usually higher than the ie. 700 watt stipulated on the box. So if your inverter has max power of say 1000 watt you should be fine.
Royco

Post by Royco »

:dance1:
OK, I'm in the market for a small 700w microwave...
My inverter is rated at:
500 watt 2.15a continuous
700 watt 3.05a for 5 min
1000 watt 4.3a surge

So if the meals need to be cooked in under 5 min!

OK enough from me - I think I've hijacked your post Thomas... but hopefully while I was learning, you managed to get some ideas. :angel:
Image Image Image Image
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Mark, I want to import some inverters to test, so what you are saying is that i must rather go for the 2,000w than the 1,000 watt?
My supplier only have 1000, 2000 and 3000 watt
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

pietpetoors wrote:Mark, I want to import some inverters to test, so what you are saying is that i must rather go for the 2,000w than the 1,000 watt?
My supplier only have 1000, 2000 and 3000 watt
For me personally, I would buy a 2000 watt inverter, but that is me personally, as when I am out of the country I take a welding machine, drill, angle grinder that require more 'watts'

For the average camper 1000 watt will do, as it can be used for most general things (except mom's hairdryer.....)

Speak to a farmer or someone building a house, 3000 watt would be great :!:

So it's very much up to the individual, but imo 1000 watt will be most popular :thumbup:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Anything greater than 1000W is not going to do your battery any good. A dual battery system with two identical batteries and heavy cabling should be used for large inverters .

Personally, I only make use of a small 300W inverter for small items and even that can draw in excess of 25A from a battery when running at full power.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

mytruck
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Little Falls
Vehicle: Hilux 4x4 3D

Post by mytruck »

Ok, so confirm if my train of thought is correct. I have a COLD STAY 220volt chest type freezer with thermostat, which I want to use as a fridge. The metal tag says 120 watt. My idea is to install a 1000w inverter and use it to power this fridge whilst traveling. I do have a duel battery set up. To which battery would one connect the inverter? Would this set up work. Also can I let he inverter carry on running when not running the vehicle ie overnight stop.
Thanking in advance
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Stefan

Basic outlook, this will work for you.

You'd be best connecting it to the 2nd battery and having an isolator/controller seperating it from the main battery if running over night so as to prevent the main from running flat.

How ever, gents on here are going to ask what type of compressor ect does your fridge/freezer have, thus due to the fact that it may not work as effiecently as wanted and last as long due to the terrain/bumps ect... all the fridges/freezers for off road have special comps designed and meant to handle the bumps/inclines ect... while in use.

But the guys in the know, will help out shortly I'm sure.
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

mytruck wrote:Ok, so confirm if my train of thought is correct. I have a COLD STAY 220volt chest type freezer with thermostat, which I want to use as a fridge. The metal tag says 120 watt. My idea is to install a 1000w inverter and use it to power this fridge whilst traveling. I do have a duel battery set up. To which battery would one connect the inverter? Would this set up work. Also can I let he inverter carry on running when not running the vehicle ie overnight stop.
Thanking in advance
In theory your it will work, however not ideal. The 220v fridge will 'cold stay' will prob only make it through the night and if you do not have 220v municipal power you have a good chance the next day or two the battery will not make it.

Best is to always run a test, weeks before leaving, saves you the embarrasment when on hoilday :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

What Brands should I look at? Maybe will go for the 500W/550W, will check whats the price difference between 300W and 500W.
Sent from my iPhone
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

I would go for the waeco inverters,pricy,but never had a problem with mine.
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”