Electric Fan

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: 4.0 V6 4Tuna

Electric Fan

Post by 4tuna »

Hi Gents,

Trust you are all well on this hot monday morning,

My question today is if i remove the current fan, and replace it with an electrical fan, will this help a bit with the consumption?

Or will it overheat?
BlumTRD
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Hilux

Re: Electric Fan

Post by BlumTRD »

4tuna wrote:Hi Gents,

My question today is if i remove the current fan, and replace it with an electrical fan, will this help a bit with the consumption?

Or will it overheat?
Rather Leave the std viscous fan .

Much safer . :thumbup:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

BlumTRD wrote:
4tuna wrote:Hi Gents,

Or will it overheat?
Rather Leave the std viscous fan .

Much safer . :thumbup:
agreed
To God be the glory
519franco
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards bay
Vehicle: 87 Hilux 3L v6 Ford

Post by 519franco »

Agreed you may save fuel but no more than a km or 2 on a tank
HAPPILY BUILD 3L V6 1987 TOYOTA HILUX
viewtopic.php?f=136&t=18393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FORD> Full Off Road Damnation
FORD> Its not oil leaks,, its swearing power
Sponser: MY DAD
Builder: ME: FRANCO DU PLESSIS
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The resistance / drag on a motor caused from driving a fan is considerably more than one would imagine. If it were not, why would automotive developers have gone to the lengths of engineering the visco-fan, and similarly why would the manufacturers increase the production costs by including such fans. Why also was the idea of electric fans introduced, particularly with 'performance' vehicles. In motor sport circles it's not uncommon to change over to electric fans and dispense with the alternator ... a fully charged battery will last more than long enough for a track meeting when all it's driving is an electric fan, motor ignition / electricals and instrument panel.

IMO it will give you considerably more than a few extra kilos per tank, especially with smaller capacity motors that 'feel' the drag of a fan more than the bigger ones. So the question "is it worth the effort and cost" becomes a bigger consideration if you're running a 3 lit capacity motor, for example.

You would have to supply and install the fan, a relay and a thermal switch on the rad which controls the fan operation. The switch would also have to be 'calibrated' to suit the motor's operating temp. All this would need to be installed on a dedicated circuit with it's own fuse. (These costs would need a fair amount of fuel saving to off-set.)

Also to be considered is the long term reliability of another electrical device which is critical to the running of the vehicle. Imagine that it lets you down on a trip to Nam or Moz ... you're effectively stranded until you can get a replacement if at all available in the area you find yourself.

Personally I would rather stick with the visco-fan for peace of mind and accept the extra k/lit in favour of reliability, unless the vehicle is intended as a city based run-about. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
4tuna
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: 4.0 V6 4Tuna

Post by 4tuna »

Thanks guys for all the answers,

Was just a thought, will keep it as is, :)

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”