250000km maintenance?

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
patack
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: 2004 Hilux 2.0

250000km maintenance?

Post by patack »

Hello all, I'm new here and need some advise.

I have a 2004 entry level Hilux 2L LWB petrol, an old work horse. I've had the vehicle since new and it's reached 250000km.

I had it serviced by Toyota until about 130000km then started doing it myself according to the maintenance schedule but have always purchased the spares from Toyota. The book ends at 250000km so I was just wondering if anyone can shed some light about where to from here on.

Is there anything I should start looking at or be concerned about?

It still doesn't use oil in between services (10000km), it has the original clutch, gearbox hasn't needed any attention. The usual brake system maintenance has been done as required.

Any advise will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by patack on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Re: 250000km maintenance?

Post by Racing snake »

So far so good. Just keep on doing what you've been doing. :thumbup:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Patrick somewhere on the forum was a post of one of those bakkies used as a courier bakkie which reached a million kilos without problems.

If you keep up your maintenance like you are doing now you should not have problems.
The book ends at 250,000 km but if you are not sure what to replace at the next service, call the agents, tell them your truck need a service on those kilos and ask what they will be replacing at that service so you can budget for it. That way you will know exactly what to do.

Then remember all the pipes and rubber are getting old. So if a radiator hose just start to look suspect, replace it and if you can afford to sommer replace all the radiator hoses.
On these "older" vehicles it more often happen that you loose an engine due to a burst radiator hose than anything else. Small things like a hose start to fail which result in big damage.

Same with the fanbelts, if it has not been replaced recently, sommer replace all three of them and you know that they are .OK for the next 100,000km

As far as I know your engine has a timing chain which do not sommer give problems, so there you dont have to worry

Just keep the oil and water levels up and your baby will easily last you up to 700,00km if not further
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
patack
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: 2004 Hilux 2.0

Post by patack »

Brian, thanks will do :thumbup:

Thanks Pieter for the great advice, yes the engine is a 1RZ with timing chain. I will be looking to replace the suspension bushes and rubbers soon and will also replace the shocks, one rear shock shows signs of a small oil leak so they got to be done. I will keep an eye on the hoses etc in the engine compartment.

I was wondering about the oil pump pickup, do these ever clog up? I've always used oil supplied by Toyota so is there any concerns in this regard?

How can you tell if the clutch is reaching the end of it's life? So far all gears are smooth except, to engage reverse, somtimes there is a minor grate...I have heard that this is 'normal' with these gearboxes. On very rare occasions do I tow caravans and trailers and I do not 'ride the clutch' at traffic lights etc.

As the vehicle is paid up and it's given me hassle free driving pleasure, I will be keeping it and hope to keep it going til 1 000000km :D:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

The clutch will either start to slip or shutter. It is difficult to say at what kilos to replace the clutch because it all depends on the driver's style of driving and of course if it was used 250,000km in town driving (stop and go) or open road.

If a gear start to scratch when going in I think it is more the synchromish in the gearbox that is wearing out rather than the clutch.

As for the oil pick up, cannot answer you there, somebody like Hoppy will answer that one. My 3Rz now has 418,000 on the clock and the engine has nether been opened.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”