Tyre advice

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Tyre advice

Post by Mikie »

I need 2 new tyres on my bakkie, my front ones are 245's and still pretty much new, the back ones are shot, now I want to go bigger, would it be bad if I got 2 265's and put those in the mix, obviously they would either be both in front or both at the back.
Yay? Nay? Or am I just being absolutely riciculous? :boss:
Boland4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Plattekloof
Vehicle: 2005 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4 Auto

Re: Tyre advice

Post by Boland4x4 »

For a 2x4 no problem. Will affect handling/roadholding a bit, but you will get used to it quickly.
No mods :disgust:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Boland4x4 wrote:For a 2x4 no problem. Will affect handling/roadholding a bit, but you will get used to it quickly.
Ditto. Think beach buggy.. they have this config. Keep in mind that you will also have a bit of a nose down look.
To God be the glory
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

CasKru wrote:
Boland4x4 wrote:For a 2x4 no problem. Will affect handling/roadholding a bit, but you will get used to it quickly.
Ditto. Think beach buggy.. they have this config. Keep in mind that you will also have a bit of a nose down look.

Not as hectic as a beach buggy surely?
Putting them in front should level it out a bit.

Besides getting used to handling shouldn't be a problem, specially after I spun out last week in the wet at 5am, doing a 270deg out of control spin definitely wakes you up.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Mikie wrote:
CasKru wrote:

Not as hectic as a beach buggy surely?
Putting them in front should level it out a bit.

Besides getting used to handling shouldn't be a problem, specially after I spun out last week in the wet at 5am, doing a 270deg out of control spin definitely wakes you up.
Just used the comparison to show that big wheel small wheel config can be done :thumbup:
To God be the glory
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Ok so I have decided I am going to keep them all the same size BUT, I am itching to go bigger 31' x 10.5' x R15, so in that case I will replace all 4 and sell the 30x9.5xR15 I have in front at the moment, they are basically new.

What I do need to know is, from the guys taht have gone bigger like this on their D4D's, what difference did it make to your fuel comsumption? I am currently averaging around 720km on 70 litres per tank.
How much of a knock am I going to take on that??
I am pretty sure my speedo will be more acurate with the bigger tyres too, it currently over reads

That is going to be my deciding factor, get only 2 at the standard size or go bigger.

Give me stats guys

Return to “The Workshop”