Sani pass weekend

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Henk Bakkie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '93Hilux DC 2.2 4x4

Sani pass weekend

Post by Henk Bakkie »

Good evening to all. My son asked for a trip up Sani as a 21st b'day present. Hard to believe but this is one trip we have never made....

My question now, is thid doable in a normal weekend? He is in varsity and sister in school, so cannot extend beyond maybe an early Friday to Sunday.

Any advice on where to stay...closest to pass or somewhere closer to GP to cut the Friday trip somewhat?

As it will be early May, I guess camping will be just too much fun, so maybe a softer option like self catering will have to do;)

Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated. Will it still be feasable to drive the backroads as opposed to the N3, given that wellmost likely not get away before midday the Friday?

Many thanks

Henk
____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Om dood te gaan is geen kuns nie; die slegte kry dit reg. Om te lewe is ‘n kuns; die beste kry dit nie goed reg nie.” - CJ Langenhoven
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Sani pass weekend

Post by OOOOMS »

Henk, yes do-able in a weekend and you can take some nice back roads there, however....this will chew up you time.......sadly!

There are a couple of B&B very near to the pass around Underberg. May is very cold and you may encounter some snow. Accommodation up at sani chalet is also available, but you can easy drive up have a good meal and drive down again.

Somewhere on the Forum there is a place that offers a discounted rate to Hilux Club members.
Henk Bakkie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Henk Bakkie »

Many thanks Mark.

Will look for the offers. Will be interesting to say the least if we do encounter snow;)

Have a great day

Henk
____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Om dood te gaan is geen kuns nie; die slegte kry dit reg. Om te lewe is ‘n kuns; die beste kry dit nie goed reg nie.” - CJ Langenhoven
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=19610&hilit=members+sani+pass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Henk, it is do-able.

I have done it numerous times.

But we usually sleep over in Himeville/Underberg on Friday night, then proceed up Sani on Saturday am; sleep over Saturday at Sani and go home on Sunday.

Know what you don't know.
Henk Bakkie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Henk Bakkie »

Hi H, this is just what we had in mind. I see you from my area as well, so adding an hour or so onto your traveling time to 'compensate' for my highway speed and seems I can then also do it;)

May I assume that you take the N3 to save time getting there and back?

Again, many thanks guys, much appreciated.

Henk
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

OOOOMS wrote:Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=19610&hilit=members+sani+pass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark,
Why am I not authorised to view this link? is is because I own a Land Cruiser or is it because my vehicle is white?
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mountain Man wrote:

Mark,
Why am I not authorised to view this link? is is because I own a Land Cruiser or is it because my vehicle is white?
Neither...... :mocking: :mocking: :mocking:
Sebata
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Post by Sebata »

Mountain Man wrote:

Mark,
cant be the colour of your vehicle, coz mine is white & can view the link.... :thumbup: must be the other reason that prevents from viewing the link :mocking: :mocking:
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: green cars are banned to ;-) ;-) :mrgreen:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Henk Bakkie wrote:Hi H, this is just what we had in mind. I see you from my area as well, so adding an hour or so onto your traveling time to 'compensate' for my highway speed and seems I can then also do it;)

May I assume that you take the N3 to save time getting there and back?

Again, many thanks guys, much appreciated.

Henk
Henk, we usually take the N3 up to about Bergville, and then starts to meander down along the Drakensberg. On our first trip we did cause some problems for ourselves in misjudging the time it takes to traverse those dirt roads. Only reached Nottingham Road at 21h30, and our overnight at Himeville well after 22h00. So missed a use amount of lovely scenery due to the darkness. Be very aware of cattle on those roads at night. They are around each corner.

Know what you don't know.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

OOOOMS wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:

Mark,
Neither...... :mocking: :mocking: :mocking:
Do I have to get some sort of special permission to view the link? :wth:

Do I need to be FIKA'ed of RIKA'ed or E'TAGGED or SARS E'FILED or NOW Accredited or BEEE'd or WEEEED or what is the reason I cannot view the link? :beg:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The linked post / topic is in the club members section. One has to be a club member for access. The reason why it's posted there is because there is a discount offer to club members only. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Mud Dog wrote:The linked post / topic is in the club members section. One has to be a club member for access. The reason why it's posted there is because there is a discount offer to club members only. ;-)
What club?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Gee Craig ... can't believe that you are unaware that there is a club that is related to this forum! :shock2: The club has been in existence for almost 4 years now. Here is the link to join ....... http://www.hiluxclub.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Now you tell me, after I sell my Hilux. Nice one! Duh!! :oops:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

(The guys whose usernames appear in blue are all club members.) You can still join. It's not a prerequisite that you have a Hilux ... we even have a couple of LR drivers.

Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

:shock:
Mud Dog wrote:(The guys whose usernames appear in blue are all club members.) You can still join. It's not a prerequisite that you have a Hilux ... we even have a couple of LR drivers.
Sounds like a tainted Hilux Club.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Mountain Man wrote::shock:
Mud Dog wrote:(The guys whose usernames appear in blue are all club members.) You can still join. It's not a prerequisite that you have a Hilux ... we even have a couple of LR drivers.
Sounds like a tainted Hilux Club.
Nah.... nothing tainted about this club :dance1: :dance1: :dance1:
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Val, What club you belong to with the pink User Name?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mountain Man wrote:Val, What club you belong to with the pink User Name?
Part of the Floral division :lol:
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

OOOOMS wrote:
You got a green name, suppose it's good to go green these days. I suppose that means you are a forum fun cop??? :boss:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mountain Man wrote:
OOOOMS wrote:
You got a green name, suppose it's good to go green these days. I suppose that means you are a forum fun cop??? :boss:
Everyone seems to be going green.....these days... :o:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

The green may be because we've been around here so long we're going mouldy (maybe applies to some more than others! :D: ), or, it's because we've become so envious of the other members' vehicles. ;-)

Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

Depeding on Budget there are few place to stay over on the RSA side. We stayed in Moorcraft Manor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... Natal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) . A few other options :http://www.sa-venues.com/accommodation/sanipass.php

I went up last week, the pass is in bad shape. I have previously gone up in Rav without a problem, now going up without low range and diff lock is just looking for trouble and downright dangerous. Also if you are planning to go up at Sani and trough Lesotho to entry South Africa on the Fouchville side the roads in Lesotho are really in bad shape. A section that took me 3.5h last year took me 7 hours last week and this was going as fast a good safely. We did get some snow (frozen water) on in the shade on some of the higher peaks
:thumbup:

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”