Bleeding Hydraulic Clutch System

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Bleeding Hydraulic Clutch System

Post by Family_Dog »

This is taken from the Max Ellery Book for the 1970-1997 Hilux/4-Runner book.

Master Cylinder Inspection

1. Check that the level of Brake Fluid is within th levels marked on the cylinder reservoir.
2. Refill with specified brake fluid.
3. Inspect to make sure the air vent in the reservoir cap is clear and that air can be blown through it.

Bleed Hydraulic Clutch System

1. Fit a tube onto the bleed valve located on the slave cylinder with the other end in a container half full of brake fluid.
2. With an assistant, push down on the clutch pedal several times, push down on the pedal while the bleed valve is loosened just enough to allow brake fluid (and air if present) to bleed out of the hose attached to the bleed valve.
3. Tighten the bleed valve before the clutch is allowed to return to its normal position.
Bleeding Y-Series Clutch.jpg
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 above until the system is free of air. This is detected by having a firm feeling clutch pedal when pushed down.
5. Check the level of the master cylinder reservoir brake fluid, top up to marked levels so as not to allow air to enter the system.
6. Top up master cylinder with specified brake fluid, do not use fluid bled out of clutch system.

Clutch fluid specified: Heavy duty Brake fluid.

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Dadz Toy BFI

Re: Bleeding Hydraulic Clutch System

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Right, now to find a bit of pipe : :?: :?:

And my rain coat :roll:

Rich
Last edited by Dadz Toy BFI on Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Rich,

Here is the picture from the book...
HILUX Y-SERIES SLAVE CYLINDER
HILUX Y-SERIES SLAVE CYLINDER

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

This works on the brakes aswell, you just keep on pumping untill all bubbles are gone, sort of a one man job.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

The Foul Cape Weather finally put an end to my late night endeavours to get DadzToy ready for the Dunes :cry: :cry:

Appears that it's the new Master Cylinder that I bought (Pirate :oops: ) which is not delivering :?

I'm now an "expert on bleeding" (sounds better than "I'm a Bleeding Expert") of the slave cylinder :!:

I scrounged a LARGE SURGICAL SYRINGE from my nurse neighbour (without the needle) which is PERFECT for drawing fluid AND AIR out of the slave and lines via. a tube (ex. Camelpak works nicely) onto the slave breather :shock:

If the weather clears up in time this morning I can put the old Master Cylinder back on, bleed the system and then put up with fluid leaking onto my feet whilst we do the Dunes - if it doesn't clear I'm gonna try and get a ride in "the unstoppable Prado" :wink:

Thanks for all your help guys :!: :)

Rich
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Well the weather didn't clear before we went to the Dunes so I ended up being Co-pilot in the Prado - I can well recommend being a co-pilot every now and again :D

My laatie and I had an AWESOME TIME; I got to see much more, take more photos and chat more without worrying about the driving :!: :shock: :!:

Today the weather is good some I'm gonna slip on the Maid's marigolds and get the old Master Cylinder back on, I'll open up the disfunctional pirate one and see if I can make a good one out of the two :idea:

I'll take some pics whilst I'm at it, might help someone in the future :wink:

Rich
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Part III

Ok I've got a clutch again, and a very smooth positive one at that :!: :D :D

I ended up making a good (leak free :D ) Master Cylinder out of my old one, utilising some of the parts from the Troublesome Pirate.

I found some serious discrepences in the workings of the Pirate :shock: :o :o :shock:

So I stripped the Original and the Pirate and took some high res' photos which I could post in a little Article - If maybe it could help some other poor sole who finds himself in a similar predicament. :wink:

Cheers

Rich
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Rich, go ahead and post them! Sounds like useful advice.

-F_D

Martin Sherfield
Town: Bulawayo
Vehicle: Yn65

Post by Martin Sherfield »

I have just change the brake master cylinder on a Hilux d4d. I am now struggling to get the clutch to work, I have bleed the clutch system but the clutch pedal just collapses to the floor. It was working fine before I changed the brake master cylinder
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Did you use genuine Toyota parts or pirate parts? Reading the above, it does make a difference.

-F_D

dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

You are talking 2 completely independent systems here. I don't have a D4D, but changing the brake master has no bearing on the clutch. Did you not perhaps damage one of the clutch lines when doing the brake cylinder?

Return to “The Workshop”