Extra/Double cab for toughest Toyota(Cruiser) bakkie

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Extra/Double cab for toughest Toyota(Cruiser) bakkie

Post by Mr_B »

Saw this on IOL today... interesting:

New Toyota Land Cruiser 79 Pick-Up, Double Cab
3221920351.jpg
3221920351.jpg (30.35 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
Extra cab for toughest Toyota bakkie

Renowned for being as tough as the African landscape it regularly conquers, the Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-Up has been subtly modernised over the years, but the basic formula hasn't changed.

The latest round of upgrades see the introduction of a double cab derivative, which comes along with a number of safety and comfort upgrades that attempt to bring it into line with the modern age.

As the fourth body style to join the range (alongside the existing Single Cab, Station Wagon and 'troop carrier' Wagon), the Double Cab still offers a payload in the region of one ton - 1005kg in the case of the petrol model and 920kg for the diesel.

COMFORT FOR FIVE

But the Double Cab was clearly made for hauling around more than just sheep and heavy tools - Toyota claims it'll comfortably accommodate five adults.

On that note, it's worth mentioning some of the comfort features that have been added. All models now have remote central locking while the 76 Station Wagon and Double Cab are fitted with an integrated satellite navigation system and a radio with a USB port.

As before, all Land Cruiser models are fitted with air conditioning, power steering, height- and reach-adjustable steering, electric windows and mirrors, a 12V accessory connector and dual front airbags.

Talking safety, all models are now fitted with rear disc brakes as well as ABS, which is disengaged in L4 mode and when diffs are locked.

THE TOUGH PARTS

The 70 Series' rock-solid mechanical composition has not been messed with, however, meaning buyers can still expect a proper four-wheel drive system with transfer case and live axles at the front and back (with coil springs at the front and leaf springs at the back.)

As with the Station Wagon, the Double Cab has a spring rate that favours ride quality over absolute load carrying capacity.

The latter two models are also fitted with a new 130-litre fuel tank, while the Single Cab and 'trooper' Wagon models have twin 90-litre tanks for a total capacity of 180 litres.

Like its Single Cab counterpart, the Double Cab offers a choice between Toyota's long-proven (if rather sluggish) 96kW/285Nm normally aspirated 4.2-litre diesel engine and the more modern 170kW/360Nm 4-litre petrol V6.

For full driving impressions (in some really tough conditions), see the motoring supplement in The Star, Pretoria News, Mercury or Cape Times next week Thursday, 17 January. -IOL Motoring Staff

PRICES

76 Station Wagon 4.2 Diesel - R506 700
78 Wagon 4.2 Diesel - R484 000;
79 Pick-Up Single Cab 4.0 Petrol - R417 900
79 Pick-Up Single Cab 4.2 Diesel - R444 800
79 Pick-Up Double Cab 4.0 Petrol - R463 900
79 Pick-Up Double Cab 4.2 Diesel) - R487 000

There's more pictures on IOL's page: http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/4-x-4/ext ... O0aBXfLngw

Pretty expensive, but I certainly wouldn't mind owning one.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Extra/Double cab for toughest Toyota(Cruiser) bakkie

Post by ThysdJ »

Fantastic!! Now if only TSA wants to listen to the buying public and put the V8 D4D in there!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Suppose I just have to continue dreaming of owning one of them... oh dear... :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

ThysdJ wrote:Fantastic!! Now if only TSA wants to listen to the buying public and put the V8 D4D in there!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thys, sounds like the V8 D4D is on the cards. DriveOut mag, Oct 2012, page 22, they mention that the V8 diesel may well be on it's way to SA in the 70 series...

When is anyone's guess!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Yes Bretton, but only in the "wagon" not the bakkie.. :shock: :shock:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

ThysdJ wrote:Yes Bretton, but only in the "wagon" not the bakkie.. :shock: :shock:
Mr_B wrote:
ThysdJ wrote:Fantastic!! Now if only TSA wants to listen to the buying public and put the V8 D4D in there!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thys, sounds like the V8 D4D is on the cards. DriveOut mag, Oct 2012, page 22, they mention that the V8 diesel may well be on it's way to SA in the 70 series...

When is anyone's guess!
As far as I could get from a deep inside source they are all ready busy testing the V8 here and as I understand it it will replace the 4.2 in the pickup as well, or maybe added as an extra range. Mines is looking for non complicated vehicles which can be fixed on site, thus theire preference to the 1HZ 4.2 engine.
Johan Marais
4x4Maniac
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Post by 4x4Maniac »

What R487 000 for 96kW??? No thanks
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Watch this space... Expecting mine around Aug/Sept... ;-)
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Pretty neat! I've actually seen one or two driving about these parts already. And yes, I think a Lexus V8 or D4D V8 would be better suited.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

The V8 is coming in Double Cab as well. I have placed my order and already sold the single cab in anticipation... :mrgreen:

But now I need an interim form of transport - maybe I should buy that Landy I've always wanted... :shh:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)

Return to “Open Discussion”