some theft prevention ideas

Have your Hilux just been stolen. Please report it here and let everybody help to keep an eye out for your Hilux.
LUX4ME
Town: centurion
Vehicle: toyota hilux 3.0 D4D d/c

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Greetings everyone :wave:

So after looking around on the forum and noticing how many luxes have been stolen, it scared the s**t out of me, and i do not want mine stolen.

So iv had another alarm system installed in my lux, wired into a different circuit, so 2 alarms on 2 different circuits. Now for the actual prevention, i want to install a shock sensor to the bonnet wired to another siren hidden away, so if the bonnet gets hit with a crow bar or something to try open it, the other siren will sound, maybe deterring the thief, then i want to put a U bolt under the bonnet and chain the bonnet to the nudge bar, and finally, i want to use a heavy duty chain to chain the lux to the nearest railing, tree or anything immovable when parked at a mall or hospital, or anywhere actually, the chain will be locked with a crow 90mm solid brass lock, not a pad lock, and attached to the lux to via the tow loop thing under the bumper.

Anyone have ideas or recommendations to my idea, any comments welcome :thumbup:
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 1995 2,4 D/C Hilux SFA 4X4 , 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:22 pm

Hire Oscar to look after it for you. :lol:
Thunder02
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:36 pm

Froll wrote:Hire Oscar to look after it for you. :lol:
He needs a job to pay his bail :laugh2:

Serious note somebody posted a thread about a trip switch in the bonnet,can't remember who.
Move the horns to centre of firewall,they know where they sit,reach in and rip cables off.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:15 am

how about those home made gadgets that lock the clutch, break & juice pedals together?
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Willem01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: het nie 1 nie

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:19 am

Get a guard from ADT to watch it for you.......ummmmm thats not going to work anyway because they sit and sleep in their vehicles anyway....
Black Sam
Town: Pietermaritzburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4 Double Cab.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:26 pm

Try this one.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=28972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"LIFE'S A JOURNEY, ENJOY THE RIDE"
"WHERE THERE'S A 4X4....... THERE'S A WAY" .
"LEXUS - THE PURSUIT OF PERFECTION"
Thunder02
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:44 pm

Black Sam wrote:Try this one.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=28972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks that was the one i was referring to :thumbup:

www.4x4direct.co.za
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:08 pm

I think you're paranoid.

Just ensure that your hilux is properly specified on your insurance schedule and all the extras are well documented and insured.

IMHO adding additional alarms/immobilizes is going to compromise the reliability of your vehicle. They always fault in the middle of nowhere.

Chaining the bonnet, not a good idea, when bundu bashing dry grass can easily catch alight, believe me you'll want to get into the engine bay with a fire extinguisher super fast.

Thieves steal with roll backs these days, so your heavy duty chain might just work.

At the end of the day, it's only a car, rather look after your family, they can't be replaced.

T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Saw a Python curled around the front seat head rests, bet nobody was interested in taking this vehicle. Just don't know if I could handle the smell. :lol:
b4runner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: oregon US
Vehicle: 1981 Toyota Trekker

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:25 pm

phpBB [video]

View Original
1981 Toyota Trekker. Full internal Roll Cage, Dual Transfer Cases (2.28x4.7) 5.29 gears = 220:1
35" Goodyear Kevlar MTR's
Thunder02
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:37 pm

:thumbup: defeats the object though :laugh2:

www.4x4direct.co.za
b4runner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: oregon US
Vehicle: 1981 Toyota Trekker

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:18 pm

I did this recently:
Won't stop a determined individual but with a couple of my other anti theft deals it will slow them down..
Hard to drive in 2nd gear low range and no reverse
1981 Toyota Trekker. Full internal Roll Cage, Dual Transfer Cases (2.28x4.7) 5.29 gears = 220:1
35" Goodyear Kevlar MTR's
NoddyMP
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1999 3000D Hilux

Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:27 pm

I saw on a fourm dedicated to the Minis, some people drilled holes in the throttle and brake peddle, then put in a padlock that locked the two together. Not sure how well it will work in a hilux as a minis peddles are quite close together
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 87 DC 2.8D

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:41 am

I had a gearlock on mine for all the good it did me. I reckon they cut the plastic boot off the lever and then undid the spring loaded cup that holds the shifter in place in the gear box tower (takes a minute or two with a knife and a pair of circlip pliers), lifted the lever up and slid it down the side of the transmission, unscrewed the gear knob and took the lever through the loop of the lock. You then only have 1st, 3rd and 5th with no reverse but its not a problem if you drive carefully.

I think a fuel solenoid mounted some where difficult to find with a remote switch is the way to go. Just carry a spare/pipe joint to replace it if it breaks. Also there are battery powered GSM+GPS units that you can buy that are remotely activated and can be hidden in the chassis rails or elsewhere (in a water tank?)
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies"
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:22 pm

Remove all Toyota badges and insignia and replace them with VW or Nissan badges.I am certain you can leave your vehicle unlocked without a problem :clap: :clap:
subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Jhb - Somerset West
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 D/C - Kitted for overlanding
Club VHF Licence: HC152

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:35 pm

How much of a deterrent is a steering lock?

Hilux D4D
ORRA X130
4x4AG GP0228
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 87 DC 2.8D

Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:41 am

Not much, you can usually still remove the steering wheel and drive it with a vice grip or bring your own steering wheel
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies"
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:19 am

Steering locks mean boggerol. Had one on my previous bakkie, Nissan hardbody 2.4. Parked in street at sunset, went in to house, had cup of coffee, came out, got into car, realised door was unlocked, steering lock lying on seat next to me... Didn't click... Drove off, around first corner felt something wrong on steering wheel... Investigated... Realised that I HAD in fact put the lock on (thought I had forgotten to lock door too) and the swine had cut through the steering wheel with a hacksaw - softer metal. Fixed it by carefully removing section of plastic padding around cut, re-welding steering wheel, glueing padding back - not perfect, but cheaper then new steering wheel. I was lucky, must have disturbed the b@st@rd.
On my KZ only have std Toyota alarm, 2 tracking devices, park in safer places. Tracking devices only for insurance - if they wanna take it, they will, thoughI should investigate some of these plans on the forum to keep the dommer boggers in line....
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:08 pm

Have cut out switch, gear lock, stearing lock to the pedal lock, alarm with emobiliser, cut out on starter motor.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
dervdave
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Sunderland
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0d

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:36 pm

niclemaitre wrote:Not much, you can usually still remove the steering wheel and drive it with a vice grip or bring your own steering wheel
Can`t do that with this one I use :thumbup:
http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:36 pm

Have done a couple of Hilux's and Fortuners some tweaking on the harnass and they'll never start it
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:40 pm

MCHILUX wrote:Have done a couple of Hilux's and Fortuners some tweaking on the harnass and they'll never start it
You have my attention, costs?
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:43 pm

Youre looking at R750, using wiring from original harnasses so its undetected and I'll need the vehicle for about 3hours
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi Jan, you have my attention. PM me your cell number & I will contact you when I am in your area again. Thanx, Edge.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Genissie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Hartenbos
Vehicle: LC 80, 4500
Club VHF Licence: X254

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:47 pm

Baasvark wrote:how about those home made gadgets that lock the clutch, break & juice pedals together?
was just about to ask about those Baasvark, I have no pics anymore, but about 20 years ago in KZN that was the thing we all had.
It's a steel frame around the pedal compartment, bolted through the floor, up to where the dash ends and the steering column passes by (basically around 30x40cm, with a serious steel plate/door and a built-in safe lock. it flaps down to drive and locks up when stopping, to make provision for the differential casing being in the way when opened, another set of hinches were fitted on the side, thus a small percentage of the door will hinch on the left.
was also very much suitable to lock your stuff up.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:21 am

MCHILUX wrote:Youre looking at R750, using wiring from original harnasses so its undetected and I'll need the vehicle for about 3hours

I have your number, we will chat :thumbup:
pietdevs
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:20 am

I installed the system that was on the forum about a year ago. I can't find the thread... Cannot describe it here due to security - costs max R200 and is fool proof. Guys in Cape Town use it a lot. One guys Lux was stolen 3 x and they couldn't get more than 50 meters... Parts off the shelf from Midas
Velo son
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: IFS 2.7i 4x4. IPF spotlights. Duel battery system. Custom roofrack.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:33 am

Another idea is to install a swich into the clip of the seatbelt (the one next to the seat where you clip the seatbelt into) (and dont ask me what type of swich). This swich should swith the fuel pump on or off (on when the seatbelt is fastened). The wiring should be done in such a manner that it cannot be seen or detected.

Pro's: This forces you to wear a seatbelt
A thief probably wont fasten the seatbelt right away and the car wont start or wont drive for long.
A highjacker will highjack the car and will be able to drive away (leaving you safe) and then 1km down the road the car will stop and the highjacker wil probably make an escape leaving your car next to the road (probably without your valuebles).
Life starts when the tarmac ends.
I'll only lose my way in the city lights.
I'd rather be lost in the woods, than found in the city.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:38 pm

I still like the idea of leaving a half finished bottle of brandy (heavily laced with arsenic) in the glove box. :twisted:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
muki
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4d D/C 4x4 A/T

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:53 pm

pietdevs wrote:I installed the system that was on the forum about a year ago. I can't find the thread... Cannot describe it here due to security - costs max R200 and is fool proof. Guys in Cape Town use it a lot. One guys Lux was stolen 3 x and they couldn't get more than 50 meters... Parts off the shelf from Midas
Hi there, I've gotten a hilux recently would like to install a antitheft system. Could you PM the details?

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:15 am

muki wrote:
pietdevs wrote:I installed the system that was on the forum about a year ago. I can't find the thread... Cannot describe it here due to security - costs max R200 and is fool proof. Guys in Cape Town use it a lot. One guys Lux was stolen 3 x and they couldn't get more than 50 meters... Parts off the shelf from Midas
Hi there, I've gotten a hilux recently would like to install a antitheft system. Could you PM the details?

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Me too please. Piet
Rabenco
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this site (and posting in general) so please forgive me if I don't get protocol/etiquette quite right.
Firstly, the amount of info shared is impressive - so well done.
Secondly, I have just bought a Hilux 2.8 4x4 DC. I am particularly concerned about the theft issue given that I have had a Hilux stolen before. I am a fan of the hidden kill switch connected to the diesel fuel pump.
Does anyone have any idea of an auto electrician in the Centurion/Pretoria area that is not only trustworthy and confidential, but knows what is required to outsmart those thieving buggers?

Thanks
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:11 am

Hi and welcome Andre! :thumbup:

Contact Louis Zanoli at 4x4Direct in Pretoria - Centurion 012-653-3208 or 071-697-6579 | Whatsapp 081-590-0479
If he can't help you he should be able to steer you in the right direction. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Stolen Hiluxes”