Legend35 Recovery Points

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
WayneMan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Joburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 DC

Legend35 Recovery Points

Post by WayneMan »

Hi Guys

Please can someone help with advice on recovery points for a Legend35.

I have a stock standard Legend35 with the original bumbers. I do not use the tow bar.

FRONT: Would I be able to have recovery points installed on my vehicle without having to remove the front bumper permanently ? To me, it looks like a tow rope from the front would damage the bumper if I ever have to be towed.

REAR: If I removed the tow hitch (just the ball part of the tow bar), can I replace it with a suitable shackle ? I have read about not using the ball part of the tow bar as a recovery point and I would like to remove it. Can I safely do this ?

Is this a simple thing to achieve or should I be taking my vehicle to a 4x4 shop to do this for me ?
Any recommendatiosn in th Joburg area to achieve this ?

Cheers
Wayne
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Re: Legend35 Recovery Points

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

Hi Wayne

I've got a winch on the front of mine. It affects the approach angle, I've had a few nose dives trying to climb banks.

I find the tow bar to be quite low as well. I have been giving recovery points some thought, however I believe without fitting proper off road bumpers we'll always be in a pickle.

I didn't want to change the "Legend 35" look, but is seems if I want do do some serious off roading I'll have to.

Will post a picture of the winch when I get to work tomorrow, as the pics are on my laptop.

Let me know if you come up with something..

T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
Oupa Stig
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Wayne, I went on a trip to Moz, & having only 4x2 wanted to be sure I could be recovered if I got stuck in the sand. I found the front recovery points could only be reached THROUGH the bottom steel plate of the nudge bar, that pretty piece which says Legend 35. That's darn tricky, coz if your recovery rope pulls at an angle it will catch on the edges of the cutout in that belly plate. So for my trip I'd removed that section of plate -.4 bolts in akward position. Refitted after trip, as offroading is not this truck's main job.
In the rear I'd say don't recover from the center section of your towbar - that's it's weakest spot. Remember, that towbar is made to tow a trailer much lighter than your vehicle, and that on a "rolling" surface, ie tar, gravel. If you want to use the towbar as recovery point I'd say fit two points, one at each end left and right of the towbar, IN LINE WITH THE TOWBAR'S FIXING POINTS TO THE CHASSIS. I think it'l be somewhat stronger there.....???
There was a clip on the forum a while ago which showed the stresses exerted on a vehicle during a recovery. In this case it was a dumb jeepster, but as a demonstration it worked quite well.... :twisted:
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Oupa Stig wrote:Wayne, I went on a trip to Moz, & having only 4x2 wanted to be sure I could be recovered if I got stuck in the sand. I found the front recovery points could only be reached THROUGH the bottom steel plate of the nudge bar, that pretty piece which says Legend 35. That's darn tricky, coz if your recovery rope pulls at an angle it will catch on the edges of the cutout in that belly plate. So for my trip I'd removed that section of plate -.4 bolts in akward position. Refitted after trip, as offroading is not this truck's main job.
In the rear I'd say don't recover from the center section of your towbar - that's it's weakest spot. Remember, that towbar is made to tow a trailer much lighter than your vehicle, and that on a "rolling" surface, ie tar, gravel. If you want to use the towbar as recovery point I'd say fit two points, one at each end left and right of the towbar, IN LINE WITH THE TOWBAR'S FIXING POINTS TO THE CHASSIS. I think it'l be somewhat stronger there.....???
There was a clip on the forum a while ago which showed the stresses exerted on a vehicle during a recovery. In this case it was adumb jeepster, but as a demonstration it worked quite well.... :twisted:
:shock2: :mocking: :laugh2:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

Oupa Stig wrote:Wayne, I went on a trip to Moz, & having only 4x2 wanted to be sure I could be recovered if I got stuck in the sand. I found the front recovery points could only be reached THROUGH the bottom steel plate of the nudge bar, that pretty piece which says Legend 35. That's darn tricky, coz if your recovery rope pulls at an angle it will catch on the edges of the cutout in that belly plate.

have you tried using a bridal ?????

So for my trip I'd removed that section of plate -.4 bolts in akward position. Refitted after trip, as offroading is not this truck's main job.
There was a clip on the forum a while ago which showed the stresses exerted on a vehicle during a recovery. In this case it was a dumb jeepster, but as a demonstration it worked quite well.... :twisted:
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
Oupa Stig

Post by Oupa Stig »

Shaun, my offroading is limited to some mucking about at deWildt and Bosvark, so I do not know what a 'bridal' is. (perhaps you could explain) I have no training... I do however have some plain common sense, and would rather err on the safe side. Which is why my lux has no dents and is still at 220k kilo's on it's original clutch.... :thumbup:
And there goes my big mouth again :twisted:
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

A Bridal is used to spread the load between two points and center the recovery rope.
T
Oupa Stig wrote:Shaun, my offroading is limited to some mucking about at deWildt and Bosvark, so I do not know what a 'bridal' is. (perhaps you could explain) I have no training... I do however have some plain common sense, and would rather err on the safe side. Which is why my lux has no dents and is still at 220k kilo's on it's original clutch.... :thumbup:
And there goes my big mouth again :twisted:
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
andrevt
Town: sasolburg
Vehicle: raider d4d

Post by andrevt »

MY BRIDAL IS PERMANENT OP MY TROK
Sasolburg-20130322-00016 (Small).jpg
Sasolburg-20130322-00016 (Small).jpg (64.6 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
Sasolburg-20130322-00017 (Small).jpg
Sasolburg-20130322-00017 (Small).jpg (58.26 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Oupa Stig

Post by Oupa Stig »

André, ek dog daai's net 'n mooi strikkie daai (vir jou feminen side).... :D:
Maar seriously, op my legend sal hy seerkry as ek nie daai belly plate afhaal nie.
My foon is my access tot die forum, en die dêm ding doen iets snaaks met foto's, so ek kan nie post nie, maar as jy 'n legend 35 op straat sien sal jy sien waarvan ek praat.
Maar dankie vir die impromptu les op 'n ander man se thread! Dis darem so effe verwant. :problem:
4x4Maniac
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Andre, het jy IC daar onder? Soek ook so bash plaat?
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
WayneMan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Joburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 DC

Post by WayneMan »

Thanks guys for your input. Im going to see how to have these recovery points connected at one of the 4x4 shops. I definitely dont want ot have to install a new front bumper just for recovery points.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”