Zim questions

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2002 D/C KZTE 4x4

Zim questions

Post by ROBERT »

So in december, we are going up to visit the inlaws in Zambia for Christmas, then returning through ZIM and MOZ. (5 nights in mana pools, then on to Pomene.)

I have read numerous things now that say you need police clearance for your vehicle in Zim. how do I go about it, and where in Pretoria can I do it.

also can you get a multiple entry document for Zim so you only have to pay the carbon tax etc once. (if so I am going up through Bots to Pandamatenga then into zim and then into zambia at livingstone)
IF not, what are all the ferry cost etc at kazangula.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Re: Zim questions

Post by zepplin »

Robert, all you need for the vehicle is the registration paper IN YOUR NAME. A certified copy will also suffice. If the vehicle is still financed the bank will send you a certified copy and a letter giving you permission to take the vehicle across the border - as long as your insurance covers cross border travel. Whatever you do, DO NOT apply to the traffic dept for police clearance as this will entail you having to get the vehicle micro dotted, cleared by SAPS & all the ball-ache that goes with this.

The paperwork for the Zim side is only valid for ONE entry - although is is valid for three months they WILL make you pay carbon tax, insurance etc again when you re-enter, even within the original 3 month period.

Not sure what the ferry cost now. Was about US$ 30 a year ago.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Dont go for Police Clearance.It means you take your car off the NATIS system for export and then have to put it back on again.

If you want you can do a PRIVATE VEHICLE VERIFICATION.They verify that the car is not stolen and they give you a piece of paper.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

You probably already know this but in case you don't........ don't forget to put the stickers on your vehicle. The ZA and also the red and white ones for the bumpers.....
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

george wrote:If you want you can do a PRIVATE VEHICLE VERIFICATION.They verify that the car is not stolen and they give you a piece of paper.
You already have one of these with your registration paper. Don't waste your time or money!

I think the stickers in question are white reflective tape on the front corners of the bumper & red reflective for the back corners - used in place of the reflectors you would normally buy. I put both on just so there is no argument at the roadblocks!
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

zepplin wrote:
george wrote:If you want you can do a PRIVATE VEHICLE VERIFICATION.They verify that the car is not stolen and they give you a piece of paper.
You already have one of these with your registration paper. Don't waste your time or money!

I think the stickers in question are white reflective tape on the front corners of the bumper & red reflective for the back corners - used in place of the reflectors you would normally buy. I put both on just so there is no argument at the roadblocks!
That's it Steve.... Never had an issue yet in Zim but then I have the stickers....ie the red and white reflective ones....
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

(5 nights in mana pools, then on to Pomene.)

Enjoy, if you can, get one night at Chitaki Springs & beware of the lions there, especially after dark. It is said that they will actively hunt you. The roarrrs during the night will chill you to the bone. They are very vocal. Try for a full moon night there. Campe one & three are along the river in the bush & camp two is in the veldt above the river, where we were. The lions hunted elephant, baboon & anything else, all around us the whole night. We did not get much sleep...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

Ok, Has anybody recently entered Zim from Zambia at Chirundu, according to a thread on 4x4 community, if you don't have a police clearance, they try to impound your car.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

:shock: :shock:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

ROBERT wrote:Ok, Has anybody recently entered Zim from Zambia at Chirundu, according to a thread on 4x4 community, if you don't have a police clearance, they try to impound your car.
Go for the PRIVATE VEHICLE VERIFICATION does not cost you anything
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Go for the PRIVATE VEHICLE VERIFICATION does not cost you anything

This can normally be done at any Polce Station, that does engine clearancers.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

Few comments:

1. We had no problem entering Zim at Musina, but when we left Zim for Zambia at Kariba-(Chirundu?), we were referred to 2 gentlemen operating out of an old Corolla behind the Customs office- theyr wanted one thing only: Police Clearance Certificate. It's probably a scam, but Get it- better to be safe than sorry.

2. Mana is great- but be careful of the elephant- they were markedly more aggressive than other places I've been to, and, also be careful after dark- watch the kids and don't walk around alone. An European tourist was caught and killed by a lion in the bathrooms in one of the camps in 2011. We had elephant, lion and hyena in camp every night.

3. When you turn off on the gravel to Mana, take your tyre pressure down as low as you can- it really is a teeth-shattering peice of road- especially the first 40 odd kilo's.

5. Go do the kano-thing on the river- it's worth it.

Enjoy
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Don't worry, you've got the right name.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

Hi Thanks warthog, how did you go about getting the clearance

we were there in december 2011 and it was amazing.

Allan,
I must just change my second name to Gabriel or Mugabe. :lmao:

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”