Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
Ivanov
Town: East London
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.2
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Introduction

Post by Ivanov »

Hi Guys

I am new to the 4x4 Forum and would like to tell you about myself. I am a teacher from East London and have always been interested in "Rooten, Tooten and Shooten". I love the outdoors and have just recently straight-swapped my little Nissan 1400 "Potsotso" for an SFA 1989 2.2 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Double Cab. I'm quite a big guy and people always ask me how does such a big person get into the little bakkie and I just ask them how a warthog goes down it's hole. Backwards, of course!

The Toyota had recently had rust removed by a worker on my friend's farm. Well, what do you expect from a worker on a farm? The Nissan was in good running order, but also full of rust. I've started fixing my beloved Toyota "MEERKAT" by doing the whole suspension, shocks, propshafts, noisy hydraulic lifters, getting rid of the stupid cone filter the guy before me put on for better performance (have you ever?), new lights, power steering pump and hoses and a host of other things. I am actually enjoying the work as it reminds me of the good old days when I had an old Series 3 2.6 Land Rover. I had good fun with the old Landy, but the oil leaks got the better of me.

I have now got my Toyota and just love it to bits. I can now go to all the farms I hunt on and ride where I want to and not be exhausted at the end of the day. I know the Meerkat is a tad thirsty, but so are all other off-road vehicles anyway. One of the previous owners fitted a second fuel tank so you have to be careful when stopping at a petrol station and telling the attendant to "Fill her up!".

I desperately need a Manual for this vehicle. Is there anyone out there that can possibly sell me one or give me a lead on where to get a manual for the 4Y engine and the SFA 4x4.

Thanks

Ivanov
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Toyota 2.8D D/C 4x4 & Toyota 2.4D single 4x2

Re: Introduction

Post by Tarquin »

Welcome, i'm sure you'll enjoy it here!
How about some pics??
Ivanov

Post by Ivanov »

Hi Tarquin

Thanks boet. I don't have a photograph yet on my computer, but will ask my daughter to take a pic and download it on my computer and then I'll post it. I've found a manual on this forum and have spent the last 3 hours looking through it. I don't find any details or info on the 4Y Engine though. As I am a teacher I can't wait for the vacations as I would like to take out the seats and waterproof my floor pan. The Meerkat was in bad shape. All holes are elongated as not much maintenance had been done on the poor vehicle, but that will all change now. I'll have to turn some healthy washers and weld them over the elongated holes. I changed my starter motor last week at a cost of R399. Not bad hey. I've now ordered new discs and brake calipers for the front as well. I have a friend that gives me very good prices on spares. Obviously, they are not genuine Toyota parts, but they are fine for me. I'd like to get out to the farms and try and shoot a warthog or two with my muzzle loaders and sleep in the veldt next to my bakkie.

regards

Ivanov
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4

Post by Froll »

Welcome Ivan, hope you enjoy it here on the forum. Waiting to see some pics. :thumbup: :thumbup:
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

Ivan welcome, there is a whole section on the forum with workshop manuals.

Check under the Board Index. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for there.

Tony
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Ivan and welcome here! :thumbup: If you don't find what you're looking for in the online manuals, just ask and someone is sure to help you. The 4y is a fantastic motor, bullet proof they say and I'm very much inclined to agree .... a bit sluggish on the open road, but awesome in the rough. An EFI conversion makes a significant improvement (I still have some EFI parts ... manifold, plenum, throttle body and injectors and will let you have them for what I paid if you're interested).
I'd like to get out to the farms and try and shoot a warthog or two with my muzzle loaders and sleep in the veldt next to my bakkie.
A man after my own heart ... been doing that for the last few decades, except for the muzzle loaders (although I have a few black powder weapons I hunt with a 1916 Mauser .308 and my choice of game isn't limited to warthog).

I actually know Ivan and when he says he's a 'big guy' he's understating badly ... he's huge! :lol: :lol: :lol: ...... well, by comparison to me, anyway! :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howzit and welcome Ivan. Good to have another member from our neck of the woods.
subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Jhb - Somerset West
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 D/C - Kitted for overlanding
Club VHF Licence: HC152

Post by subok »

Welcome!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Hi Ivan, Welcome to the forum, am sure you are going to get to learn a lot about your vehicle and find a lot of like minded people to share ideas with.
Masekind
Town: Lichtenburg
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux 4x4 v6, LR tank, ARB Bumper. (iJzer)

Post by Masekind »

Wekom

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk 4
If you don’t build your dreams someone else will hire you to build there’s
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome Ivan, sure we will meet you through Andy Sometime...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Jaans
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2005 4L V6 DC Hilux; Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 M/T

Post by Jaans »

Welcom
1 Kor 1:18 " Die boodskap van die kruis van Christus is wel onsin vir die wat verlore gaan, maar vir ons wat gered word, is dit die krag van God."
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Welcome,pics are a must,most of us can't read :tease:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
TOYODA
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '89 YN67R with Ford V6 3.0

Post by TOYODA »

Welcome Ivanov :wave:
Ivanov

Re: Wroktrok alias "Meerkat"

Post by Ivanov »

Hi Andy.

I managed to find the manuals on the forum, but I must be dof as I don't find the 4Y Engine. I've Googled and just about broke my back sitting at the computer trying to find info on the engine. I know I'll find one soon. I'm expecting my brake discs and calipers tomorrow afternoon from PE and Tuesday will see me installing the parts. Next will be to remove the rear drums and shoes and getting them to Ferobrake for a recon, etc. I hate not to have a working handbrake. Especially in a vehicle that has 4x4 capability. Another problem I have is that the previous owners installed so many wires in the engine compartment that it looks like a Telkom box on the corner of my street.

I'm also going to look at installing a new set of seats as the present ones are "Sat flat".

As they said in "Taxi", "If I don't see you through the week, I'll see you through the window".
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Hi Ivan

It is wiff a heavy heart that I welcome you to this our forum, sad to hear that you know oom Andy :mocking: :lmao: , all the best with the repairs on your pride and joy, do keep us posted :thumbup: :bye:

From the Donkey's Desk
(aka Baas John)
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Potifar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kleinmond
Vehicle: VW Amarok TDi 4motion (WitWolf) Auto 2018 VW Tiguan Allspace

Post by Potifar »

Hi, welkom Ivan! :wave: Baie belangrik, hou nou op vraestelle opstel en neem gou 'n paar fotos!
As ons werk, dan werk ons hard. As ons speel, dan speel ons hard. As ons braai, dan speel ons nie!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Donkey wrote:Hi Ivan

It is wiff a heavy heart that I welcome you to this our forum, sad to hear that you know oom Andy :mocking: :lmao: , all the best with the repairs on your pride and joy, do keep us posted :thumbup: :bye:

From the Donkey's Desk
(aka Baas John)
:laugh2: :laugh2: Tumelo, be on the lookout for a couple of 'men in black' next time you visit the E/Cape! :D:

Ivan, rather take the old brake shoes to Midas (as a sample and core deposit) and get ATE replacement shoes. You'll have less issues with ATE. Before fitting the shoes, grind a small 45deg bevel on the leading and trailing edges of the linings. When setting up the brakes and drums, the ratchet must be slacked off, as well as the handbrake cable at the arm under the driver's seat. the ratchets are then turned untill the shoes just start making contact. Only then do you take up the slack on the handbrake cable (the arm under the seat) so that the brake lever (in the cab) pulls out only 5 to 7 clicks. You'll have a working handebrake.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Ivanov

Post by Ivanov »

Thanks Andy all all the guys that have welcomed me onto the forum. Andy, please give me a call on 083 780 7761 so we can meet each other. Regards
Ivan
Ivanov

Post by Ivanov »

Hi Guys

Tarquin asked for a photo of my "Wroktrok or Meerkat". Well, with a little help from a very helpful "Mud Dog" here in East London, I might have managed to upload a picture of my beloved Hilux. I have done quite a lot to her to date and have got so much more to do to make it a pleasure. I intend taking her out to a farm in the Mooiplaas area near Komgha and do so riding around in the veldt. I'll take my "Dirty-oh-Six" with me (Just in case a "squadcar" makes an appearance on the day. If not, who cares, I'll be in the veldt and I know there has been quite a lot of rain so I'm in for a lekker time.

I've looked through the Manuals and have not managed to find information on the 4Y engine. I'll even purchase a manual if someone has one for sale.

Regards to all and God Bless you all (and your Hiluxes)

Ivanov
Photo0103.jpg
Photo0103.jpg (69.33 KiB) Viewed 2932 times
Bugzy
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: 2015 Hilux S/C 4X4 Dakar1996 2.8D s/c 4x4 Hilux with 3CT Toyota motor
Club VHF Licence: X56

Post by Bugzy »

Welcome Ivan, do you have big male dogs or is it oil runging down you tyres? :lol:
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Post by Ali3n »

Welcome Ivan...

Sorry to hear that you know Oom Andy... Must be tough... :twisted:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
Ivanov

Post by Ivanov »

Hi Bugzy,

:lol:

Well, I'm not too sure, but my Airedale Terriers at home are so vicious that they wee "acid" boet. No, I'm only chaffing. Good observation. I'm busy making a tailgate out of 38 x 38 square tubing. I'll post a picture of it when I'm finished with it and have it galvanized. The idea is to have the tailgate lowered down and another section that is hinged to it to also fold out and down to form a loading ramp. I battled to load a nice blesbuck ram all on my own in July and know that I need something to assist me to get carcases onto the loadbody. I post pics as soon as I have the setup complete.

Chow

Ivanov

Return to “Meet the People”