Battery Question?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
BenRich
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4 BF Goodrich KM2 MT Old Man Emu Suspension, ONCA Rocksliders, Safari Snorkel, Stofpad Bashplate's National Luna Duel Battery System, Engel Fridge

Battery Question?

Post by BenRich »

When it come's to the volts and Amps I am the first to say I'm NO expert.

I managed to get my hands on this T-Max 8500lbs winch (Brand New) for a bargain :yahoo:
T Max.jpg
(36.56 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
Question is will my current deep cycle battery work with the winch. According to the specs of the winch they talk about minimum 650 CCA.

My battery is a Discover EV Traction Dry Cell - EV24A-A (As sold by Safari Centre) Specs say cranking amps at 0 degrees Celsius of 630 Amps.

Will this be enough or am I gonna have to get a bigger battery. I hope not because this one is just over a year old and always on the C-Tek when not in use!
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Re: Battery Question?

Post by WayneSchalk »

I would like to see the experts opinion, I am not sure myself but would think it must be connected to the main battery and used while the van is idling.

I'm sure under load it pulls quite a bit :think:

but lets see :subscribed:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

It is not advisable to use only a battery. You have to have a power source such as an alternator (engine running) that supplies most of the current.

The winch roughly draws about the same power as a starter motor and if you think about it, how long can you crank a vehicle before the battery is dead.
To God be the glory
BenRich
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4 BF Goodrich KM2 MT Old Man Emu Suspension, ONCA Rocksliders, Safari Snorkel, Stofpad Bashplate's National Luna Duel Battery System, Engel Fridge

Post by BenRich »

I am going to have the winch installed by Megaworld as it is their product and I have a good relationship with them, So I'm sure they will install it correctly with the right advise.

Just interesting how little information on batteries and winches are available online, or maybe I just don't know what to look for!
Please keep the opinions coming! :beg:
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

CasKru wrote:It is not advisable to use only a battery. You have to have a power source such as an alternator (engine running) that supplies most of the current.

The winch roughly draws about the same power as a starter motor and if you think about it, how long can you crank a vehicle before the battery is dead.
I am absolutely NO expert, but I agree with Cassie.
I would personally not want to run the risk of draining the battery when off-road. M2cw
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

When I was researching it I founded that under load it can draw up to 400amps.I had a post somewhere.So on max load you can only use for about 10 minutes.
I wanted to install a fuse but in the end I had a cutt off switch.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Agree that ideally one should have the motor idling while winching so that the alty can assist the battery, however this is not always the case in situations where winches are required, like if you get swamped in a water crossing and the motor has cut out (wet electrics) or at risk of sucking in water.

To this end a deep cycle battery is not suitable, a cranking battery should be used .... a winch draws an awful amount of juice under load.
Another thing to bear in mind, if the battery / batteries cannot supply the full juice required, then BOTH the battery and the winch take strain and you run the risk of damaging both. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Here is that link with the amount of current being drawn
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17263

Actually that scenario that Andy explained happened to Swifty aka Martin.He got swamped and could not start his motor and could only winch for a few minutes.Long story ,but he did not get out
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
BenRich
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by BenRich »

Thank you Oom Andy,

So keep the engine running (if possible) and use the cranking battery. Good news cause then I don't have to replace the deepcycle. Maybe only the cranking battery....
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Winch must be connected to cranking battery which will recover much quicker than a deepcycle battery. Where ever possible a winch must only be used when engine is running to help against the load being drawn by the winch. That is why it is always also advisable not to overland alone. Like the buddy-buddy system in the army.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
BenRich
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by BenRich »

Thank you for all the reply's, makes perfect sense
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

The Battery amp hour (aH) should be greater than 70aH. It should be on the battery somewhere on a sticker. The deep cycle do not have cranking amps, do not connect it to it, only to the main battery.

When using a winch it should be when the vehicle is idling. :thumbup:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

YES, the engine MUST idle while you use the winch.

friend got bogged down in mud - USED the winch, SOON the battery was FLAT and he was truly stuck !!

that said, my winch is mounted on a cradle and be used in the front or the back of the vehicle.

FRONT - directly to the main battery, WITH the engine running

Back - to SECOND battery (a deep cycle), then I will be limited to the 20A charge of the Ctek 250 S ...

I have USED my winch three times, each time it was used from the front. BUT, looking at those situations I can SEE how quickly one can end in a situation where the ONLY anchor point is to the rear ....
BenRich
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by BenRich »

Again thank you for all the reply's. Again shows the value of a forum like this :clap:

I will take the vehicle and winch to Megaworld for installation. I trust them as I always take my vehicle to them and have not been disappointed.

Interesting about the winch in the cradle for rearward recoveries...

Return to “The Workshop”