Brake upgrade

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Whoosa Hilux
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

Brake upgrade

Post by Whoosa Hilux »

Hi guys

Have any one done a break upgrade. What kits are available for the rear. I really need to upgrade the rear. Hand brake not working as it should . Installed new drums, pads, disc and so on. I even replaced the brake master with an original from Toyota. Any ideeeeessss
Attachments
image.jpg
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Re: Brake upgrade

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Welcome Hans.Great looking lux you have there. :thumbup:
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Hans, set the hand brake up correctly & it will work!
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Hans! :thumbup:

The hand brake doesn't work off the hydraulic system, it's cable and levers. There are a couple of possible reasons why it's not working properly - worn mechanism in the drum (needs to be physically checked) - brake shoes worn down too far (check and replace if necessary) - and the most common reason I believe is improper set up.

To set up the hand brake, chock the front wheels, jack both rear wheels off the ground onto firm stands, release hand brake in cab, slack off the cable adjuster completely (normally under the driver's position), slack off the ratchets in the drums and then take up the slack on the ratchets wheel by wheel until the brakes JUST start to bite (not binding), pump the foot pedal 2 or 3 times and check the wheels again - if necessary adjust the ratchets again. Take up the cable slack on the cable adjuster till you have about 7 clicks of pull on the hand brake lever. Whalla!

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome to the Forum Hans...
Great looking truck you have there...
Had similar problems on my previous truck and found the handbrake cable was caught around something on the Chassis...
When freed and reset it worked perfectly...
Hope you sort the problem out...
Let us know when sorted and what the problem was...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
hansman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: hilux sfa

Post by hansman »

Hans
Ek het my Hilux gedoen kyk onder my naam Hansma&Vaaltyn. Die mod sal vir jou ook werk ek het n Gearmax M82 diff.Soek Ford Sierra of Audi calipars dit het handbrieklevers op.
Ek het my Land Cruiser en Toyota 1200 ook met dscs agter toe gerus alles werk baie netjies almal stop op n tiekie baie lekker en mens voel veilig en gerus
Hansman&Vaaltyn
hansprinslo@yahoo.co.uk
Hiluxfan_111
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Muscat and Midrand
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4

Post by Hiluxfan_111 »

Welcome Hans!
Is it just the handbrake or the footbrake as well?
With that suspension lift you have to re-adjust the brake proportioning valve.
You may have to modify the links slightly to get the correct setting.
Whoosa Hilux
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

Post by Whoosa Hilux »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the kind words, Been building this bakkie for last year or so, and I love it to bits, I have done a lexus conversion myself, Will post pictures,
Sorry for the late reply, as I did not get any notifications about the replies, ( Im stil new to the forum) it will get better

I have tried numerous things, installed brand new brake shoes, hand brake cables( front and rear) new drums, When I stand on level ground it seems fine, but as soon as I am on an incline or decline , its seems to only grab 70%, the more I drive it the better it gets, but not 100%,

@Hiluxfan_111.. its just the hand brake, I also went and bought a brand new brake master from the agents, did not improve
I have adjusted the load sensing valve, to all the way open, I extended the arm. still the same

@hansman... kan jy asb n paar fotos stuur, ek sal jou graag wil kontak, sienna ek baie tegniese ou is, en meer inligting kan soek jou,

@ Haboob.. I looked at that, and all seems to be free, and in good condition

@Mud Dog.. I , thanks for that input, I have set it up exactly as you described , and still the same, if I pull the handbrake up, the foot pedal is much harder and higher, I think that some how the drums are a bit big, even thought they are new, the adjustment of the inner brake pin is kind off high, so I recon I need to get over sized brake shoes first, I am going to try this, and will let you know

now I just need to find out how to post some more pictures of my conversion,
For those who are keen, I am also busy converting a 2000 model landcruiser, what fun :D:
Mikem1
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Isuzu 3.0 D-tec

Post by Mikem1 »

Hi Hans.
There is a company called Norbrake in boksburg 011 894 2371 adress no 5 top road boksburg.
These guys are excellent and have done amazing work regarding brakes and steering.

give them a shout they close to you.

Regards
Darrell
Stuart Baak
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Douglasdale
Vehicle: Hilux Legend 40 RB DC auto
Club VHF Licence: H61

Post by Stuart Baak »

Mikem1 wrote:Hi Hans.
There is a company called Norbrake in boksburg 011 894 2371 adress no 5 top road boksburg.
These guys are excellent and have done amazing work regarding brakes and steering.

give them a shout they close to you.

Regards
Darrell
+1 they really are great!

Return to “The Workshop”