Hilux Snorkel

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D

Hilux Snorkel

Post by Aquanaut »

Just looks how nice it looks!!
Attachments
012.jpg
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Hilux Snorkel

Post by pietpetoors »

Jip, looks nice :thumbup:
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Awesome :yahoo:
Taljaag
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3D4D

Post by Taljaag »

I am jealous.Looks nice

Life is Easy.....! It's the freakin' people that make it difficult!
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Looks great.Really finishes the vehicle off :thumbup:
Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4

Post by Toppie4x4 »

+1 :thumbup: :thumbup:
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

I see the snorkel has the Hilux imprint. Is this the one from 4x4 Direct? Also want to order 1 from them, would like to know if it is blank or imprinted with Hilux?
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Reinart21 wrote:I see the snorkel has the Hilux imprint. Is this the one from 4x4 Direct? Also want to order 1 from them, would like to know if it is blank or imprinted with Hilux?
Hi Reinhardt. Yes we still have for the D4D. :thumbup: Once they are gone we probably wont get again with the Hilux logo
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

Great! Just placed my order now!
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

And really easy to fit!
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Looks good Basil :thumbup: :thumbup:
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Aquanaut wrote:And really easy to fit!
You mean besides drilling holes in the fender????? Ouch :surrender: :surrender:
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Yes, and some were very big holes too. Re-measured 3 times before I drilled. But once the holes were drilled, everything fitted perfectly.
Bazzer
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2700i DC 4x4, Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D 4x4 Auto

Post by Bazzer »

I also got one of these, what is the tapered rubber for that comes in the kit ?
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

I want to do mine over the course of the week/weekend. Any tips the gents can provide regarding:

What type of anti-rust primer to use? would anyone work?

Should I use the template? If only for the 98mm hole for the breather pipe?

What size hole saw to use?

After priming the holes, must it be painted over also?

How much time should I allocate for the fitment?

I know they have a directions for fitment post on the 4x4direct site, should I be fine just using that?
On the directions post the D4d used is the older model with the indicator light still on the fender, would this throw me of if I'm fitting on the newer facelift model? I.E. no indicator light on the fender?

I have heard that the template is marked wrong on some of the support holes, anything to go by?

I think it's perfectly normal to be quite nervous for this fitment. :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Good luck, that's why I asked Hoppy to do mine. :cooldude:
I couldn't believe the size of the hole they drilled
into my poor bakkie :shock2:
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

If only Hoppy would relocate, I'd be happy to have him fit it! ;)
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Reinart21 wrote:I want to do mine over the course of the week/weekend. Any tips the gents can provide regarding:

What type of anti-rust primer to use? would anyone work?

Should I use the template? If only for the 98mm hole for the breather pipe?

What size hole saw to use?

After priming the holes, must it be painted over also?

How much time should I allocate for the fitment?

I know they have a directions for fitment post on the 4x4direct site, should I be fine just using that?
On the directions post the D4d used is the older model with the indicator light still on the fender, would this throw me of if I'm fitting on the newer facelift model? I.E. no indicator light on the fender?

I have heard that the template is marked wrong on some of the support holes, anything to go by?

I think it's perfectly normal to be quite nervous for this fitment. :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
The first thing I did was to cut the template out, including the big hole for the snorkel. I put the cut out template reverse side onto the actual snorkel and with the snorkel protruding through the hole ion the template, I lined up the 8.5mm holes as close the diagram as possible, even though they were not corresponding to the pictured holes, all I was interested in was to have line up horizontally. Then I took a pencil and punched a hole in the template where the holes in the snorkel was.
I then taped the template as per the instructions, lined it up with the top of the fender and the edge of the fender by the indicator. It would be the same if there is no indicators.
Before drilling and cutting any holes, remove the air filter housing as per the instructions on the 4x4direct site, use the 's' bend that is provided and feel if it lines up with the circle you have cut in the template. You obviously have to remove the liner from inside the wheel well before you start drilling.
Once I marked the 8.5mm holes and the hole for the snorkel with a marker pen through the template, I inserted the s bend, for the third time, to see that the hole in in the right place, I then used a 102mm metal hole cutter which made a perfect hole without any chipping etc.
I first drilled a very small diameter hole into the support holes, then I used a new 8.5 mm drill bit. After inserting the lugs into the snorkel and after some filing on one or two holes, the snorkel slid on.
I used some red lead to paint over the exposed edges and then painted the holes with the colour coded touch up paint I bought at spec paints. Then I sprayed some clear lacquer once everything was dry.
I found a ratchet spanner work best in the small spaces inn the wheel well.
I put some sealer in the s bend where the snorkel went into and also on the side where the air filter went in. this gave it a nice water proof seal. once everything was clamped and bolted down, the last thing was to put the liner back inn the wheel well and put the wheel back on.
The snorkel support bracket I marked and fitted when I tested the holes out on the fender. I painted those three holes the same as I did the fender.
Hope this helps.
N.B. I did not use the rubber gasket provided.
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Forgot to mention, the whole fitment took me about 1.5 to 2 hours. What took the most time was those plastic grommets that held the inner lining inn the wheel well. I did not have spares, so I had to take each one out carefully.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Thanks for all the info...

I fitted my snorkel last night!! Yay....

Except for the Eina!! part everything worked well... Only casualty was a grommet, luckily only 1.

Now, for the not so funny part. I had a 95mm hole saw to do the cut out for the snorkel. Upon marking and getting ready to drill, I came across a bad situation, the bit that goes into the drill that latches to the hole saw was freakin missing!! So to the best of our ability we drilled roughly 20 9mm holes all around and used side cutters to clip the fender between each hole. It looked bad for a minute or two, but had a drill file, tungsten I think, and a flapper wheel it turned out perfect. After marking and fitting the snorkel which felt like a million times to get the hole just right. I know this is far from the preferred way, but the snorkel did fit very well indeed into said hole.

Then like previously mentioned, we used ink and the studs to mark the rest of the 8.5mm holes and the bracket on the column. After drilling and fitting again and again the holes were lined up and the covering commenced for the priming and painting.

After the paint dried and all the coverings removed, we fitted the snorkel and put everything bank into it's place. I used RTV black silicon gasket maker to seal the snorkel parts and air box so that water can't get into the system, although I highly doubt I'll get into that much water.

I'm probably the hundredth person to say this, but wow, I love the way it turned out, the snorkel really does add to the beauty of the Lux!!

I'll add some pics later on.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Glad to hear that, eager to see the pictures.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Sorry for the wait.

As promised, just some pictures I took along the way... :surrender: :surrender:

Not for the faint of heart, especially the big one... :blushing: :blushing:
20150211_124454a.jpg
20150211_124454a.jpg (120.84 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
20150212_171821a.jpg
20150212_171821a.jpg (109.2 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
20150212_182529a.jpg
20150212_182529a.jpg (55.88 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
20150214_113530a.jpg
20150214_113530a.jpg (197.34 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
20150214_113543a.jpg
20150214_113543a.jpg (208.86 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
20150214_113545a.jpg
20150214_113545a.jpg (205.33 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
I should have taken more pic's, but there are plenty of step by step threads.

Thanks a million to Piet and 4x4direct for the exemplary service!! :yahoo: :yahoo:
Aquanaut
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Aquanaut »

Cool, now you can fetch your boat from the middle of the lake. :thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”